PDA

View Full Version : Level 5 barbarian with level 11 cleric casting?

Spuddles
2012-04-15, 03:33 PM
My barbarian got possessed by the skull of an ancient lich, so now in addition to being a raging monk1/wolf barb2/fighter2, I got a free gestalt with cleric 11.

We're on the plane of shadow. Feats are: toughness, trollblooded, reckless rage, power attack, cleave. Going into fist of the forest at level 6. Full blooded water orc with 16 wisdom.

In addition to everything I have as a level 5 barb, I get the saves, skills, and spells of cleric 11, but not the HPs, etc. My party members are level 6.

Question: what spells should I be preparing?

Urpriest
2012-04-15, 03:40 PM
As someone with Troll-blooded, you really should prepare at least one casting of Energy Immunity to cover your regeneration's weakness. Depending on bonus spells you may get another.

What domains does the lich have?

Greater Magic Weapon is a nice straightforward buff to have around.

tyckspoon
2012-04-15, 03:46 PM
Party buffs and heals are probably your best bets; they aren't the *most* powerful things you could be doing, but they'll mitigate the fact that you are now wildly overpowered for your level and dramatically more powerful than the rest of the party (assuming they haven't had anything similar happen to them.) So things like Bless, Prayer, Recitation, (Mass) Shield of Faith, (Mass) Conviction, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, a Heroes' Feast in the morning.

Answerer
2012-04-15, 04:47 PM
I tend to agree with tyckspoon. You can now very, very easily destroy your entire party in combat. It wouldn't even be much of a competition. You really need to limit your use of magic heavily if you're to prevent the game from completely deteriorating.

Spuddles
2012-04-18, 03:49 PM
As someone with Troll-blooded, you really should prepare at least one casting of Energy Immunity to cover your regeneration's weakness. Depending on bonus spells you may get another.

What domains does the lich have?

Greater Magic Weapon is a nice straightforward buff to have around.

Energy Immunity is a good idea. We're currently adventuring on the plane of shadow, so I'm not sure if I want to set a level 5 spell slot aside for that.

I uhhhh haven't picked out the liches' domains. Since I'm not getting his feats (no DMM), any advice on what they should be? He's neutral evil. Very very evil.

GMW would be a good idea if I didn't already have a +2 weapon.

Party buffs and heals are probably your best bets; they aren't the *most* powerful things you could be doing, but they'll mitigate the fact that you are now wildly overpowered for your level and dramatically more powerful than the rest of the party (assuming they haven't had anything similar happen to them.) So things like Bless, Prayer, Recitation, (Mass) Shield of Faith, (Mass) Conviction, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, a Heroes' Feast in the morning.

What are the most powerful things I could be doing? We have a 3 man party, soon to be 4, and we don't have a caster or a buffer (psy war and scout/ranger, and soon a inspire courage/dragonfire bard). My barb was doing battlefield control, but now he has to spend his standard actions on casting stuff like Dispel Magic or Resurgence.

I tend to agree with tyckspoon. You can now very, very easily destroy your entire party in combat. It wouldn't even be much of a competition. You really need to limit your use of magic heavily if you're to prevent the game from completely deteriorating.

I don't plan on destroying my party- that would be mean. We're not really into PvP, anyway.

gbprime
2012-04-18, 04:21 PM
Well if you want to enhance your party, load up on things like Mass Resist Energy, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Mass Bull's Strength, and Mass Cure Light/Moderate Wounds. You should also look at Ice Axe for yourself.

As to domains, it's hard to go wrong with Death or Destruction as an evil cleric, Rune is nice too as it gives both Scribe Scroll and access to Lesser Planar Binding (which might net your group an ally or two for the short term).

Anything that does damage based on your cleric caster level is good as well, since it's so much higher than the party level in general.

Oh, and ask the DM if the possession is likely to last. If it is, consider taking the Tomb Tainted Soul feat at 6th level. Not only would this be flavorful, but it allows you to be healed by Inflict Wounds spells, which as an evil cleric you can cast spontaneously. (But you're harmed by Cure Wounds spells, so you don't want this if the possession is likely to go away!)

Spuddles
2012-04-18, 04:52 PM
Well if you want to enhance your party, load up on things like Mass Resist Energy, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Mass Bull's Strength, and Mass Cure Light/Moderate Wounds. You should also look at Ice Axe for yourself.

Ice Axe doesn't get str to damage, unfortunately. In a rage, with Righteous Might and Divine Power, my barb will have 38 str.

As to domains, it's hard to go wrong with Death or Destruction as an evil cleric, Rune is nice too as it gives both Scribe Scroll and access to Lesser Planar Binding (which might net your group an ally or two for the short term).

I won't get the lich's feats, unfortunately. I was looking at lesser planar binding.... I guess I could bind Good creatures? Angels have pretty low HD relative to their awesome abilities. Any recommendations?

Anything that does damage based on your cleric caster level is good as well, since it's so much higher than the party level in general.

Yeah, flame strike was really fun. But HP inflation and saves are easy to do, and I am not going to be hitting my party with flame strike, but enemies.

Oh, and ask the DM if the possession is likely to last. If it is, consider taking the Tomb Tainted Soul feat at 6th level. Not only would this be flavorful, but it allows you to be healed by Inflict Wounds spells, which as an evil cleric you can cast spontaneously. (But you're harmed by Cure Wounds spells, so you don't want this if the possession is likely to go away!)

I already have regeneration (like a troll) and a bunch of potions, so... definitely not worth a feat, even if I was going to be possessed forever. Not sure how long possession is going to last, TBH.