PDA

View Full Version : levitate (pf)

elonin
2012-04-15, 03:52 PM
I'm playing an archer ranger who is going to pick up boots of levitation. What skill would be used to stabilize my character after making attacks while airborne?

Also, I've been thinking about horizontal movement. Since levitation only allows vertical movement is it permissible to run along the sides of a wall? I'm also considering tying a rope to myself and let someone in the party pull me along like I was para sailing. Any thoughts?

Bhaakon
2012-04-16, 04:25 AM
The language of the levitate spell allows you broad leeway in finding means of lateral motion, and specifically cites pushing off ceilings and walls as and example. So you're fine as far as that goes.

As far as stabilizing yourself, there are no strictly RAW ways to do it beside spending a full round action to regain your balance, but any DM who wouldn't allow you to remain perfectly stable by activating an immoveable rod fastened tightly to your body (or similarly reasonable expedient) should get heel-stomped under the gaming table.

ericgrau
2012-04-16, 07:41 AM
While it may take a turn to toss, a rope and grappling hook is a good general purpose way to go sideways when you really don't like what's below you.

I did a levitating archer once. Great at staying out of harm's way, not as great at killing. I ate the penalties and re-stabilized as needed. Sometimes I took single shots to avoid getting penalties faster but that tends to mean even less damage. You're probably better off getting a good AC & HP and levitating only when in serious danger.

elonin
2012-04-16, 04:16 PM
Sounds like I'm on solid ground :smallamused: with using a wall or ceiling to stabilize. I'll make sure to get a ruling since it's probably ok. On the other hand this dm has made some odd rulings.