PDA

View Full Version : Hengeyokai Dragonborn of Bahamut Question

VGLordR2
2012-04-15, 05:25 PM
Hey, guys. I recently found the Hengeyokai, from Oriental Adventures. It's an LA +1 class with the ability to switch between human, hybrid, and animal forms. I was considering combining the Sparrow form with Dragonborn of Bahamut. However, Dragonborn of Bahamut removes most of the original racial traits from the base creature. This would include the Hengeyokai's shapeshifting ability. So, I need to know what the true form of the Hengeyokai is. From Oriental Adventures, I have no clear idea of whether applying the Dragonborn template will leave the Hengeyokai as the animal or the human. Anyone know?

Soranar
2012-04-15, 05:36 PM
Word wise, an alternate feature means a feature that is not the norm, or the standard.

As such, the alternate feature (animal form) is not the norm, a shapechanging dragonborn would be stuck in human form.

But, as usual, the best answer would be to ask your DM as he would get final say in any debate

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-15, 05:40 PM
Remember Hengeyokai was updated to 3.5e in Dragon Magazine 318. They lost the level adjustment and some other things. You should check it out.

VGLordR2
2012-04-15, 06:21 PM
Word wise, an alternate feature means a feature that is not the norm, or the standard.

As such, the alternate feature (animal form) is not the norm, a shapechanging dragonborn would be stuck in human form.

But, as usual, the best answer would be to ask your DM as he would get final say in any debate

The ability doesn't say that it starts out in human form, it merely says that it can switch between the three individual forms. There is nothing that says which form is the true form.

Also, thank you, Gavinfoxx, for referring me to Dragon 318. That is very nice information; I never liked the Level Adjustment. :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2012-04-15, 06:30 PM
Fluffwise, I'd say the true form is the animal, since Hengeyokai are roughly speaking animals that can take human form. RAW, I don't think there's an answer, but since creatures become a Dragonborn after birth it might just stick you with the form you had for the ritual.

Crasical
2012-04-15, 10:48 PM
I'd say it's pretty clear that the original form is the Animal, not the human or hybrid form.