PDA

View Full Version : (3.5/E6) The curse of the werefox!

Yeturs
2012-04-15, 07:32 PM
So then. In a game I am DMing, a gnome in the party got bitten by a werewolf. Now, I think the idea of a small werewolf is a little silly, and wanted a chance to have an odd were-person. I wanted it to be a were-canine form, at least, and decided on werefox.

So, aside from a fluff change, do you think I should change how werewolf works? Right now, I am planning to just make it size small, reducing its damage and such appropriately.

But I also wanted it to be different. Something that isn't just a tiny red werewolf, you know? So I am here, looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Amechra
2012-04-15, 08:16 PM
Do you own Frostburn? There are stats for a fox in there.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-15, 08:29 PM
First of all. You should read this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

Also, you should make it possible for them to cure the afflicted lycanthropy. It can be difficult, but make it possible. Arbitrarily doing such a thing, permanently to the PC, without recourse for fixing it, could be sufficient reason for the character to legitimately suicide (I don't want to live with Lycanthropy and hurt those I care about) and the player to roll up a new character.

Yeturs
2012-04-16, 03:58 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip about frostburn, turns out I do have that one.

And Gavinfoxx, I agree. There should always be a cure for this kind of thing. Any ideas on what that cure should be, in a flavor sense?

(It wouldn't be TOO hard to get to it, given the setting. The game takes place in sigil, city of doors, so all the little gnome would have to do is ask around for the proper door, and probably a solo quest to go get it. This is the kind of player that enjoys that kind of thing, though.)

JadePhoenix
2012-04-16, 04:22 PM
And Gavinfoxx, I agree. There should always be a cure for this kind of thing. Any ideas on what that cure should be, in a flavor sense?
It's intended to be this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeCurse.htm), I believe.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-16, 04:27 PM
It's also available in potion form.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm

If this is in Sigil, he realizes he has been bit, goes to a potion shop in the Market Ward, drops 750 gp, and buys the goddamned cure.

Tokuhara
2012-04-16, 08:38 PM
Why would you want to? Werefox should give a Charisma bonus (ladies dig a guy with pointy ears and a scruffy tail)

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-16, 08:41 PM
It also gives you a bunch of Animal Hit Die and a big Level Adjustment... I think you have to eat 1 HD + 2 LA, I believe.

Sure, your Hybrid form gets you:

Dex +6; 1 NA; Weapon Finesse (b), Alertness, as well as the normal hybrid stuff... but 1 Animal HD and 2 LA are kinda a big deal in several builds...

Yeturs
2012-04-17, 01:49 AM
Indeed. Huh... I want the curse to be tempting to him. He is a squishy caster type, so he will not take that hit to his CL.

Do you think it would be okay to let him have this without the Hd or LA? I mean, from what I see, he gets scent, some low-light vision, some nat armor, and +2 wis. Doesn't seem too good, as long as he stays humanoid form. Once he willingly changes, then he would be succumbing to the curse, and bad story-line stuff happens, but I do not want to screw his character's mechanics for it, you know?

Also, (And I know I never really said this) the game is E6, so remove curse is pretty potent magic. Lets assume that no one on sigil can do it for him (at least, at a price he can pay...)

Although that is an aside at this point.

Kumori
2012-04-17, 01:54 AM
It's not so much a hit to his CL as a boost to it. After character creation, an increase to ECL is not nearly so bad as at character creation. Sure, he'll gain new class levels slower, but at least he's not starting behind, right?

Edit Something to consider: How are you going to work with the LA and RHD if you do use them, seeing as this is E6? Are you going to limit him to 6 class levels, having the LA and RHD working outside of that? This would essentially make the LA be a minus to XP gained, but the RHD would actually be beneficial instead of detrimental.

Cieyrin
2012-04-17, 11:19 AM
What level is the character in question in this E6 game? The effects depend entirely on if the get sucked up by his 6 HD limit or if it's post-Epic. I'd never thought about it but Lycanthropy seems like a way to break the HD limit with the drawback of having suffering the whole loss of control from being afflicted, etcetera. If it's close to Epic, there are Epic feats to boost his CL, not to mention Practiced Spellcaster, though he'll suffer the lost spell slots.