PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Game Rolling

missmvicious
2012-04-15, 08:33 PM
So I am sure many of you are familiar with the player that is busy texting or playing games or striking up conversations with those around them instead of playing and I know those guys make you crazy. I am one of those players though, I don't focus on the game between my turns because the game is going so slowly. In environments where the game is constantly flowing I am a pretty decent PC, I typically roll with the punches, I know what I am going to do before my turn and I have come up with some creative solutions to problems in game. I don't have the attention span to watch three other people debate on rules and how a spell works for the better part of the session. So my question is: how do you keep the game rolling so problem people like me don't have the free time between turns to be disruptive?

Grinner
2012-04-15, 08:50 PM
The root problem is the massive amount of rules the GM and players must contend with. The easiest thing to do is simply avoid rules-heavy systems. Instead, use lighter systems like Warrior Rogue & Mage.

The only problem is that rules concerning character options are often also limited in comparison to rules-heavy systems, so players just wanting cool powers are kind of sunk.

Depends on what you're looking for from the game, really.

valadil
2012-04-15, 09:03 PM
I don't have the attention span to watch three other people debate on rules and how a spell works for the better part of the session. So my question is: how do you keep the game rolling so problem people like me don't have the free time between turns to be disruptive?

I'm with you on that. Rules debates are the worst. As a GM, the best thing to do is make a snap decision and stick with it for the rest of the session, but find out the actual rules afterwards. I do this if the debate isn't solved in a minute. Worst case I put disputer's turn on hold so he can look it up while play continues for everyone else.

As a player, encourage your GM to do what I just described. Playing incorrectly is better than not playing because you're too busy learning how to play correctly.

Since you mentioned the rules were about how a spell works, if it's a spell a player took, this could probably be avoided. When I'm interested in an ambiguously defined spell, I ask the GM how they'd run that spell before I take it. This should happen outside of game time. Dropping a new and confusing spell on the GM mid combat is poor form. Yeah, it'll happen sometimes if one player reads it differently than the GM, but more often than not it's a player trying to pull a fast one by taking advantage of ambiguities.

missmvicious
2012-04-15, 09:06 PM
I like the fact the D&D 3.5 has rules for everything since often times I am playing with DMs that have a history of ruling in ways most silly. So the rules can be used to improve game play, but once a DM makes a ruling people should learn to save the debate for later. Also I want my team mates to know what their powers are before starting a session, spending 15 minutes to look something up because you forgot how to use a power is so irritating. Made more annoying by the fact that I get in trouble for texting or talking during that time. Know any good ways to get them to have their **** together before we start playing?

Vitruviansquid
2012-04-15, 09:23 PM
Having the other players put their powers on note cards (with the math already worked out, if possible) and give them real-time limits on how long they can take to make decisions. Twenty seconds to declare which power they want to use should be more than enough, if you caution the players to have their move in mind before their turn actually starts.

valadil
2012-04-15, 09:29 PM
Know any good ways to get them to have their **** together before we start playing?

The best I've got is to lead by example. Ask the GM how a rule works before a game where you intend to use it. Show off that shiny new spell sheet you spent an hour writing up in Excel (especially how each spell lists SR, a brief description, and the book/page number).

missmvicious
2012-04-16, 02:00 AM
I almost never have rules questions though.

TheOOB
2012-04-16, 02:18 AM
Well, you kind of answered your own question, help them be ready ahead of time. Borrow their character sheet and make quick reference sheets or cards for their more used powers or abilities, that way they don't have to look them up.

If a rules issue comes up during play, the process is simple. Have each party quickly(less than a minute), explain what they think, then make a judgement call. Explain that you are making the call to keep the session moving, and that you'll email them all the official ruling after the session.

I only ever break out the rule book if the the results of this specific argument are going to be very important.

valadil
2012-04-16, 06:37 AM
I almost never have rules questions though.

So ask a question you already know the answer to.

EccentricCircle
2012-04-16, 09:04 AM
I always feel that it depends on what a player is doing.
if they are always ready when their turn rolls around and know what they want to do and how to do it, then I don't have a problem with people drawing or writing at the table. but talking over the DM, or playing about with a phone or computer can be distracting for everyone and will slow the game down in an of itself.

I find that there are two ways to keep peoples attention on the game.

First: to treat the rules quite loosely and keep things moving, to run short combats interspersed with a lot of roleplaying, rather than long tactical combats where people have to wait a long time between their turns. if you have the spotlight every minute or so then you don't have time to get bored.
spliting the party doesn't help as then one group will have to watch while the other group has the spotlight, but if the DM is doing their job properly then the game should be interesting to watch from an OC point of view. Do you get bored and start talking or texting while watching a TV show? what about a play? What about a one off play thats being made up on the spot and will never be performed again!

Second use lots of props and handouts. that way when people aren't doing something specific they will be studying the miniatures, the layout of the board, or a picture of an artefact that the party have found. they might not seem to be paying attention to the DM, but that might be because they are sketching the scene as they imagine it in their note pad (our group is quite arty).
I know some groups who never use miniatures because they feel that it slows things down and makes things faster, I disagree, as I've had players say that they like lots of miniatures and well laid out maps, as they give them something to focus on, and make it easier to imagine the scene. It all comes down to finding what works best for the group. (The Group as a whole and not just the DM or some of the players)

Jay R
2012-04-16, 10:39 AM
There are two things going on that are bothering people.
1. Some people are arguing over the rules.
2. Somebody's texting and not paying attention.

Fix the one you can fix.

Ask the arguers to fix the one they can fix, but you fix the one you can fix.