PDA

View Full Version : Dweomerkeeper Mild Metamagic Abuse Build [Help]

Roguenewb
2012-04-15, 08:52 PM
So, I rarely play full casters, usually I do a gish or a rogue/caster or something along those lines. However, I have recently gained the opportunity (read as: my party needs a full caster) to play a full on arcane caster. Since I rarely get all those tasty higher level spell slots on time, I thought I would play some class that let me do some solid metamagic stuff. I've heard of the strength of Dweomerkeeper and the ability to do some metamagic-y stuff sounds fun. Here's what I have so far:

NN Silverblood Human
1 Cloistered Cleric of Boccob (Knowledge, Magic and Planning) Flaw for Easy Metamagic (Quicken Spell)
2 Conjurer [Rapid Conjuring, Spontaneous Summoning] (Banned Schools=Evoc and Illus) B=[I]Scribe Scroll
3 Conjurer 2
4 Conjurer 3
5 Conjurer 4
6 Dweomerkeeper 1 Mantle of Spells (Arcane Turmoil) Cooperative Spell
7 Dweomerkeeper 2
8 Dweomerkeeper 3 Mantle of Spells (Celerity)
9 Dweomerkeeper 4 Residual Spell
10 Dweomerkeeper 5 Mantle of Spells (Orb of Acid)
11 Dweomerkeeper 6
12 Dweomerkeeper 7 Mantle of Spells (Enervation) Repeat Spell
13 Dweomerkeeper 8
14 Dweomerkeeper 9 Mantle of Spells (Limited Wish)
15 Dweomerkeeper 10 Twin Spell Flaw for practical metamagic (Twin)
16 Conjurer 5 Practical Meta (Quicken)
17 Mage of the Arcane Order 1
18 Mage of the Arcane Order 2 B:Easy Meta (Repeat) Easy Metamagic (Twin Spell)
19 Mage of the Arcane Order 3
20 Mage of the Arcane Order 4

Along the way to build this, I noticed something very strange...this Wizard is about as close to being a Sorcerer as I think is humanly possible, short of being a Sorcerer. At level 20, he can cast the 5 spells on the Mantle (which includes limited wish+supernatural spell!!) On top of that, he has Spellpool access up to 6th level spells. Also, can spont cast summon monster (as a STD action, thus making it elegable for spont-meta).

He could turn a 6th level spell slot into a Twin Summon Monster 4, then turn another into a quicken summon monster 4, then on the next turn, cast a normal summon monster 4, and snag the Twin with residual magic, then cast a quickened one with the same benefit! In 2 rounds he could cast summon monster 4, like, 6 times worth.

He can do the damage output thing too. Starting at level 18+ he gets hilarious, though at level 15 its no slouch either. At 18, prepare and cast repeat twin Orb of Acid (7th). Deal 30d6 acid damage. Then, cast a quicken orb of acid (6th). 15d6 (45d6 total). On the next turn, get a repeated Orb, apply twin from residual for free 30d6 (75d6 total). Cast an Orb of Acid, apply the free twin 30d6 (105d6 total), apply one more, applying the quicken for free 15 d6 (120d6). Cast celerity. With the Celerity action, cast Twin Orb of Acid, applying the Twin for free 45d6 (165d6). 165d6 over the course of two turns, for a total of 2 6th, and 3 4th level spell slots. So...He can do this like 8 times a day.

Is anything with this build wrong, and am I missing anything obvious? Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry for the multipost nonsense. This is the real one.

Alleran
2012-04-15, 11:03 PM
Metamagic build?

Needs more Incantatrix.

Randomguy
2012-04-16, 01:20 AM
You banned illusion. That's were most low level defensive spells are, and many higher level ones as well, such as blur, displacement, mirror image, greater mirror image, invisibility, so on.

Your DM will eventually throw things with acid immunity against you. Or something with ray deflection. I suggest looking into ways to bypass those, or switch to orb of fire with the searing spell metamagic feat.

Roguenewb
2012-04-16, 06:36 AM
I know incantatrix is broken good, but I'm limited to Core+complete+races. And I like mantle of spells =)

If I want illusion what would you swap?

Alleran
2012-04-16, 06:43 AM
I know incantatrix is broken good, but I'm limited to Core+complete+races. And I like mantle of spells =)

If I want illusion what would you swap?
Enchantment. Always, always drop evocation first, then enchantment. Past that (i.e. if you're going into Incantatrix), it becomes a bit more tricky, but in my opinion you should probably be dropping Necromancy as a third one. Since you won't need to lose another school in that build, you don't need to worry, but Evocation is very forgettable besides Contingency (you can replicate it with Shadow Conjuration in Illusion anyway), and Enchantment can be nullified by two spells (one of which is 1st level).

erikun
2012-04-16, 07:12 AM
1 Cloistered Cleric of Boccob (Knowledge, Magic and Planning) Empower Spell, Quicken Spell Flaw for DMM (Quicken), Flaw for Easy Metamagic (Quicken Spell)
15 Dweomerkeeper 10 Twin Spell Flaw for practical metamagic (Twin)

Two things. First, flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) must be taken at first level, along with the feat you get for doing so. I'm not sure why you have a flaw listed at 15th level.

Second, Divine Metamagic only works with divine spells, so unless I'm missing something, Divine Metamagic (Quicken) isn't going to be any use to you.

Roguenewb
2012-04-16, 09:50 AM
Because my DM allows me to take the Flaw at level 1, but only have the advantage develop later on.

EDIT: Fixed the build to reflect no DMM and to tweak feats a bit.