PDA

View Full Version : Grimm again

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-16, 01:42 AM
So, my other favorite show that is not a sitcom at the moment...

I must say it has really picked up steam; I enjoy it more than Once Upon a Time now; the monster of the week is interesting AND so is the background plot arch. The resolution of the Hexenbiest problem was interesting, too,
and I must say I half feared her mother killing her instead of just letting her leave. I understand her character has quite the fan following (I liked her too) so it will be interesting to see what happens now.

Also, a wolf and a fox dating? That's cute :smallsmile:

BRC
2012-04-16, 10:30 AM
It's certainly getting better. Right now it's biggest flaw is it's habit of creating a character, then making a Vessen-type that boils down to "They have this personality"

Like the Mouse and Snake episode. There is an aggressive *******, so clearly he must be a Snake-person, and all snake-people are aggressive *******s. Meanwhile the timid guy must be a Mouse-Person, because all Mouse-People are timid and quiet.
Personally its at it's best when they just let their characters be Characters rather than stereotypes. The formula for making a good monster is Take Person+ Add Powers. Munroe is such a great character because they're not trying to make him fit any archetype, he's just a guy who happens to also be a Blutbad. Nick is boring because they're trying too hard to make him fit the Archtypical Hero, which he lacks the charisma to pull off.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-16, 01:16 PM
It's certainly getting better. Right now it's biggest flaw is it's habit of creating a character, then making a Vessen-type that boils down to "They have this personality"

Like the Mouse and Snake episode. There is an aggressive *******, so clearly he must be a Snake-person, and all snake-people are aggressive *******s. Meanwhile the timid guy must be a Mouse-Person, because all Mouse-People are timid and quiet.
Personally its at it's best when they just let their characters be Characters rather than stereotypes. The formula for making a good monster is Take Person+ Add Powers. Munroe is such a great character because they're not trying to make him fit any archetype, he's just a guy who happens to also be a Blutbad. Nick is boring because they're trying too hard to make him fit the Archtypical Hero, which he lacks the charisma to pull off.

I don't find him boring, actually; not more boring than any other normal good guy hero. Also, I think the whole personality thing IS good. Remember that these are monsters as well as people. You cannot judge them entirely on how human they behave. It makes absolute sense that a wesen that is "rabbit-like" is a flight before fight personality, for example. It also makes perfect sense in your example above: One is a meat eater, one is a prey animal.

Bhu
2012-04-16, 05:32 PM
Im more curious as to who's side the captain is on.

BRC
2012-04-16, 08:10 PM
I don't find him boring, actually; not more boring than any other normal good guy hero. Also, I think the whole personality thing IS good. Remember that these are monsters as well as people. You cannot judge them entirely on how human they behave. It makes absolute sense that a wesen that is "rabbit-like" is a flight before fight personality, for example. It also makes perfect sense in your example above: One is a meat eater, one is a prey animal.
Yeah, it makes sense, but as a "Monster of the Week" thing it dosn't work. It becomes less "Monster of the week" and more "Personality archetype of the week".

Lets take that example again

Imagine if the episode, instead of being about two wesen, one aggressive and the other timid, it was just about two 100% ordinary humans. Replace Munroe's exposition with just a neighbor describing them as "Timid, likes going to his safe zones" and "Aggressive, kind of a jerk".

The plot of the episode wouldn't change at all.

What I'm saying is this is a show about fairy-tale creatures. If an Episode's plot could be created beat-for-beat without said creatures, then they're doing it wrong. Although I'll forgive them for

The Rave-Rat episode, since that was introducing the idea of non-evil Wesen besides the reformed Munroe. And because the kid kind of had a Rat-Control power.

Most of the episodes make a point of giving the wesen some power (Firebreathing, Super-strength, magic potions) or habit (like harvesting organs) to distinguish them from humans, but quite frequently they're just People who occasionally have CGI faces. I mean there is one Wesen whose Munroposition boiled down to "They're untrustworthy, or maybe you should trust them, just go with your gut". But they didn't try to base an episode around him (Instead they chose to channel their inner Warehouse-13).

Lord Seth
2012-04-24, 11:03 AM
Newest episode was decent. Hope they have at least one of Nick's girlfriend or partner find out about him by the end of the season, because I think it could get old otherwise.

It's even already been renewed for another season, so no fear this year about them going out with an unresolved cliffhanger!

Grinner
2012-04-24, 01:17 PM
Im more curious as to who's side the captain is on.

I get the impression that he longs for the "old ways".

At one point, he stated that his family used to be kings. Now, they tend to position themselves in places of power and exploit that power to maintain the Masquerade. If they have to resort to manipulation and trickery to do so, they will (and have).

Starbuck_II
2012-04-24, 01:27 PM
So how many creature types have we got up to?
wolf
fox
mice
rat
snake
dragon
witch (hexenbeast)
bee
Ogre
pig
blood hound
beaver (the repair man)
toad eater
bird
Have I missed many?

Xondoure
2012-04-24, 01:32 PM
Newest episode was decent. Hope they have at least one of Nick's girlfriend or partner find out about him by the end of the season, because I think it could get old otherwise.

It's even already been renewed for another season, so no fear this year about them going out with an unresolved cliffhanger!

I'm still unsure why he hasn't told them. If he's in need of proof all he has to do is ask Munroe to tear a tree apart.

Grinner
2012-04-24, 01:38 PM
wolf
fox
mice
rat
snake
dragon
witch (hexenbeast)
bee
Ogre
pig
blood hound
beaver (the repair man)
toad eater
bird
Have I missed many?

Yeah, that's probably the only complaint I have about the series....

I think toad-eating was a practice of the the goats, though.

Giggling Ghast
2012-04-24, 01:38 PM
wolf
fox
mice
rat
snake
dragon
witch (hexenbeast)
bee
Ogre
pig
blood hound
beaver (the repair man)
toad eater
bird
Have I missed many?

You missed cat (klaustreich), troll (hulda), jackal (schakal), vulture (geier), lowen (lion), rhinos (dickfellig), crocodiles (skalenzahne) and black widow spider (spinnatod). Also, the toad-eater was a goat man, and there have been two types of bird creatures (hawks and geese, or steinadler and seltenvogel).

Talya
2012-04-24, 01:45 PM
I really like this show.

(that's all I popped in to say.)

Starbuck_II
2012-04-24, 04:23 PM
You missed cat (klaustreich), troll (hulda), jackal (schakal), vulture (geier), lowen (lion), rhinos (dickfellig), crocodiles (skalenzahne) and black widow spider (spinnatod). Also, the toad-eater was a goat man, and there have been two types of bird creatures (hawks and geese, or steinadler and seltenvogel).

Wait, what is difference between the Ogre dude and troll? Ogre had really tough skin (stops bullets). What do we know about Troll?

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-25, 02:04 AM
Well it seems the show is renewed for next season and our favorite foxy lady with the lovely brown eyes is now a regular character. :smallsmile:

Thinker
2012-04-25, 06:41 AM
Wait, what is difference between the Ogre dude and troll? Ogre had really tough skin (stops bullets). What do we know about Troll?

The troll's skin obviously didn't stop bullets. That's how Nick killed him.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-25, 01:05 PM
The troll's skin obviously didn't stop bullets. That's how Nick killed him.

He used an elephant gun. That isnt a normal gun :smalltongue:

Giggling Ghast
2012-04-25, 01:09 PM
The ogre could be shot, it just didn't hurt him that much due to his dense bone structure and near-imperviousness to pain.

Shooting him with a poisoned bullet from an elephant gun, that's a whole different story.

So far, the only two trolls seen have been Reapers of the Grimms.

Grinner
2012-04-25, 01:11 PM
He used an elephant gun. That isnt a normal gun :smalltongue:

I thought that was the ogre...

Didn't Munroe also use some sort of poison?

Thinker
2012-04-25, 01:53 PM
The ogre was the one with the super dense bone and was shot by Munroe using an elephant gun laced with special ogre poison. The troll was the one who attacked Aunt Marie and was shot to death by Nick. The other reaper we see, who had his ear chopped off by Captain Renard was also a troll.

The distinction between the two is a bit confusing, especially since they were going for a Jack and the Beanstalk theme with the ogre. I thought that the reapers were the same thing until my girlfriend pointed out otherwise.

Giggling Ghast
2012-04-28, 11:40 AM
Last night's episode was impressive. I think we've firmly established why the wesen are scared ****less of Grimms.

The distinction between the two is a bit confusing, especially since they were going for a Jack and the Beanstalk theme with the ogre. I thought that the reapers were the same thing until my girlfriend pointed out otherwise.

Oh, they were. Did you miss that reference to how Oleg Stark seemed to have "dropped out of the sky"?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-11, 10:08 PM
In tonight's episode, it took me about two seconds of hearing that therapist guy's speech about "slowly approaching the inner monster" to connect it to the half-state the bigfoot guy had been in.

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-12, 05:54 PM
FInally caught up with the last two episodes.

I wonder if the masquerade is about to unravel?

Giggling Ghast
2012-05-12, 06:16 PM
I wonder if the masquerade is about to unravel?

For the public? Doubtful. These are still monsters that people can't see and, even though a Wesen was seen in full view by a crowd, he left behind a very human-looking corpse. And anyways, a Wildermann (Bigfoot) is really just a shaggy human with big feet.

I think poor Hank's on the verge of going insane; even if he dismisses what he saw was not real, he would then have to conclude that he's having hallucinations.

Bhu
2012-05-13, 12:02 PM
And it looks like the girlfriend gets clued in next week...

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-13, 12:13 PM
I hope Hank gets taken to the trailer as well. Then, if that's not enough, if he tries to deny it, taken to Monroe's.

Also, looks like Juliet got the curse of the lycanthrope. :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-18, 09:05 PM
I know I'm double posting, but I had to say.

I had drawn the conclusion she was a Grimm when the show was only twenty minutes in. Why? Because the only weapons we've seen monsters use are the scythes the Reapers have and the gun that the pig guy had to use since he wasn't normally a predator, and because she wasn't acting like either a coward monster or a predator monster, but she had some hidden agenda.

Also, I guess they never found the body. Or the Grimms are skilled at making full decoys. Or they've invented cloning (GET YER SCI-FI OUTTA HERE!).

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-19, 04:08 PM
I know I'm double posting, but I had to say.

I had drawn the conclusion she was a Grimm when the show was only twenty minutes in. Why? Because the only weapons we've seen monsters use are the scythes the Reapers have and the gun that the pig guy had to use since he wasn't normally a predator, and because she wasn't acting like either a coward monster or a predator monster, but she had some hidden agenda.

Also, I guess they never found the body. Or the Grimms are skilled at making full decoys. Or they've invented cloning (GET YER SCI-FI OUTTA HERE!).

I am confused though. I thought the Grimm thing worked just like Buffy (one dies, the next gets the powers). This leaves two possibilities: A) The Grimm in the family was dad, and mom is just a badass normal trying to track down his murderer / protect her son or B) They are pulling a "Faith" and modern science wrecks havoc with the bloodline thing again.

Also, what is Adalind playing at?
A) Suicide by cop?
B) Trying to get back in the captain's good graces? Her mother's?
C) Personal revenge? Pissing off a well-connected Grimm seems lead to "A" anyway.
D) Working for yet somebody else?

BRC
2012-05-19, 08:12 PM
I am confused though. I thought the Grimm thing worked just like Buffy (one dies, the next gets the powers). This leaves two possibilities: A) The Grimm in the family was dad, and mom is just a badass normal trying to track down his murderer / protect her son or B) They are pulling a "Faith" and modern science wrecks havoc with the bloodline thing again.

Also, what is Adalind playing at?
A) Suicide by cop?
B) Trying to get back in the captain's good graces? Her mother's?
C) Personal revenge? Pissing off a well-connected Grimm seems lead to "A" anyway.
D) Working for yet somebody else?
I saw no indication that there was only ever one Grimm. Nick was Grimming while his aunt was still alive. Grimm's can see Vessen, it's just a thing they can do.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-19, 08:45 PM
I am confused though. I thought the Grimm thing worked just like Buffy (one dies, the next gets the powers).

Uhh... no. Nick's aunt didn't suddenly gain her powers when her sister died (and of course, now it's shown that she didn't).

Giggling Ghast
2012-05-19, 11:13 PM
It's true that Nick started developing his powers when Aunt Marie was dying of cancer. However, there is no "Rule of One" in play here; Nick's journal even mentions that meetings between different Grimms.

So, here we are the end of Season 1. I'm looking forward to the second season; Grimm isn't a perfect show, but it's pretty decent. I particularly like the dedication to its horror elements; not many shows would have a dead body gets its eyes pecked out by a raven as it's floating down the river for the sake of making the investigation scene a bit creepier.

Nick was a bit underwhelming at the offset, but now he's kicking copious amounts of ass on a per-episode basis.

I have high hopes for Season 2, as the formula for the show would be hard to screw up (like, say, Heroes, which ran out of steam).

Bhu
2012-05-20, 09:56 AM
Poor hank looks like he's about to lose his mind

Avilan the Grey
2012-05-20, 10:18 AM
Poor hank looks like he's about to lose his mind

I am more worried about his mother's reaction to Mr Clock Repairman... :smallbiggrin:

Xondoure
2012-05-21, 02:02 AM
Ooh shocking twists. My guess is Juliet is probably under Adalind's control. Maybe even a full body swap. That or Juliet's just evil now. Just goes to show that you should at least clue the most important people in your life in if you're going to go monster hunting.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-21, 11:13 AM
Ooh shocking twists. My guess is Juliet is probably under Adalind's control. Maybe even a full body swap. That or Juliet's just evil now. Just goes to show that you should at least clue the most important people in your life in if you're going to go monster hunting.

Adalind lost her powers. I think that's impossible. The familiar still has whatever powers it had before, but it's probably just a curse.