PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Keep on the Borderlands - campaign advice request

u-b
2012-04-16, 05:08 AM
I'm thinking about running my first low-level introductory "campaign" on these forums and want some comments on this enterprise as a whole and on specific decisions I have made about it.

1. I lean towards limiting players' options to only core + ToB/ This is to cut on required reading and reduce the number of options to levels manageable by beginner players on their own.
2. The populations of monsters would be completely replaced as part of conversion, caverns becoming less populated but more organized under one or two authorities (three tops). I think this should not be a problem as most of these will be straight from SRD. The question is should I prescribe their numbers based on CR system, set it on the fly based on party performance, mix these approaches or what?
3. This is a sandbox type game. personally, play mostly pro-active, but I see this is not always the case and some players prefer to react to whatever DM puts upon them. Do you expect any problems with getting players to take missions etc?
4. Anything else you think I should consider before game begins?

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW
(if you plan to play this module any time in the future, stop reading now)

Gwendol
2012-04-16, 05:27 AM
In my experience, it is a lot more difficult getting the challenge right using a single monster, rather than combining several lower CR monsters into one (higher) CR encounter. Either you risk a TPK, or the monster is killed/incapacitated during the first two rounds. On the other hand it means more work for the DM...
The Keep on the Borderlands mostly favors the latter approach, so sticking to that will do you good.

You will always have to do some tweaking based on party composition, equipment and what not.

Wrt your third question I'd say it again depends on the PCs and how they are played. You need to be prepared to cater them (it certainly isn't the other way around).

Don't plan ahead too much; the PC's will ruin those anyway, it's in their nature.

Zombimode
2012-04-16, 05:34 AM
2. The populations of monsters would be completely replaced as part of conversion, caverns becoming less populated but more organized under one or two authorities (three tops). I think this should not be a problem as most of these will be straight from SRD. The question is should I prescribe their numbers based on CR system, set it on the fly based on party performance, mix these approaches or what?

Eh. That players have to judge the power of enemies and situations in comprasion to their own abilities, and that they can get themselves into serious trouble are two of the main features of the Keep on the Borderlands module. If you replace them with cookie cutter CR-appropriate encounters, your going against the point of the module.

Actually I would not replace the monster populations at all. Just use their 3e stats.

u-b
2012-04-16, 05:46 AM
Actually I would not replace the monster populations at all. Just use their 3e stats.

Spoiler alert.
...COMMON ROOM: Here are quartered 12 male orcs...
...HALL OF UNDEAD WARRIORS... ...20 skeletons...

And so on, often less, but they are all tightly packed so with ANY level of coordination... ouch. Or not?

Zombimode
2012-04-16, 05:53 AM
Spoiler alert.
...COMMON ROOM: Here are quartered 12 male orcs...
...HALL OF UNDEAD WARRIORS... ...20 skeletons...

And so on, often less, but they are all tightly packed so with ANY level of coordination... ouch. Or not?

Yeah, if the players just kick in the door and charge, they are dead. Thats the POINT.

Edit: remember, they are all 1HD creatures, so smart tactics can go a long way.

Also, the module is somewhat desinged with the intent that the players play out the differen factions against each other. The skeletons for example will attack (almost) everything, not just the player characters...

EditEdit: uh, should I spoiler my responses?

u-b
2012-04-18, 12:33 AM
EditEdit: uh, should I spoiler my responses?
Placed a spoiler alert in OP.

Edit: remember, they are all...
Also, the module is somewhat designed with the intent that...
Does the fact that this module is designed for 6 to 9 players change anything? I think it should, as I will not run it for 9 players, that's for sure. Will probably start with six, but dropping down to four at times or permanently is still a possibility.

Also it bothers me somewhat, what all those creatures are doing there? Like is there an economics model of that cave complex? I think I should read the module in more detail, but not sure if the answer is there. Any suggestions?