PDA

View Full Version : Throwing an object: how far can you throw an object?

imneuromancer
2012-04-16, 01:15 PM
I see rules for throwing improvised items as weapons, but what is the MAX DISTANCE that a character can throw something?

We have a situation where a strong character wanted to throw another character up a wall, but we couldn't find rules on whether the character was strong enough and could get the distance to do it.

Tvtyrant
2012-04-16, 01:22 PM
I don't know myself, but I suspect that you should also put this question in the Simple Q&A thread.

Ashtagon
2012-04-16, 01:27 PM
Best answer I've seen was to treat this as an Aid Another attempt in conjunction with the (presumably) smaller character's Jump check.

Assuming the (presumably) smaller character is simply dead weight that is being thrown around, Complete Warrior page 159 suggests this is impossible unless he weighs 50 lb or less.

Generally, thrown (eg shuriken) and blown (eg blowpipes) weapons have a maximum range of five range increments.

Igneel
2012-04-16, 01:41 PM
I personally believe that there are several ways to interpret tossing a fellow character, but most tend to either having a ridiculous Str, being much larger, or having feats appropriate for such an action.

Assuming that your Dm would allow you to be able to throw a smaller character assuming your either big enough (I'd say at least 2 sizes difference) or have a high enough Str (enough to at least lift the person over your head) that you could treat the character as a improvised thrown weapon with a range of 10ft.

But the most simpler way is using feats meant for such actions. Enter Races of Stone's Feat tree of Fling Ally/Enemy, or Savage Species different version of Fling Enemy. Basically states that a ally 1 size smaller then you has range of 5ft, while 2 sizes or more smaller have 15ft (which can be improved), and must be able to lift over your head to throw.

imneuromancer
2012-04-16, 01:42 PM
Because I couldn't find anything in D&D rules, I went to Champions and got the answer of a 24 Strength character can throw a 50 pound person (halfling) about 24 feet in the air.

But that is totally a Champions conversion, I have no idea if D&D has any rules that apply because they are all focused on range increments of improvised weapons....

pokapokapoke
2013-04-04, 10:38 PM
I wonder if you couldn't just make a Strength check? d20+Strength Mod = range. If the item has a listed range (say a dagger's 10 feet) then you add that to the check as well. whether or not you'd hit with it would need a Dex check, maybe, and maybe it's a little convoluted, but that's what i'm thinking for one of my players throwing his greathammer down a corridor :)

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-04, 10:46 PM
Improvised thrown weapons should be a 10 ft range increment, and you can throw a max of 5 range increments. So, max of 50 ft. Possibly further with Far Shot feat or the like. Possibly less for very heavy or not aerodynamic objects.

dascarletm
2013-04-04, 11:29 PM
Races of Stone: Fling Ally. Houserule you can just do it. :smallwink: