PDA

View Full Version : Living in the Mansion

t209
2012-04-16, 02:22 PM
How is it feel like when you live in a mansion (Good or bad idea for those wh watch or playing horror games and had nightmares)?
Note: I got this idea on how a kid will feel about his home after playing Luigi's mansion, Resident Evil (Spencer Mansion), session of Call of Cthulhu and watching Horror films about Haunted Mansion.

super dark33
2012-04-16, 03:54 PM
Thats why i prefer the stereotypical 'victorian british lord's mansion'.

I say!

t209
2012-04-18, 07:18 PM
I mean how many of you actually lived in a mansion (or had a relative)?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-18, 07:33 PM
Um, I visited Blenheim Palace once, does that count? 'fraid I live in a townhouse that was built c.1880, for lower-middle class, or upper-lower class peeps...

Haruki-kun
2012-04-18, 07:53 PM
Heh... when I first played Luigi's Mansion, I kept thinking it would be awesome to live in it. Sans the ghosts.

Well, the concept of a mansion is very different in different parts of the world... What is your definition of it?

Maxios
2012-04-19, 01:42 PM
I mean how many of you actually lived in a mansion (or had a relative)?

Centures ago in Wales, my ancestors held a seat of power (or something like that). I don't know if they owned a castle or a mansion, though.

t209
2012-04-19, 06:18 PM
Heh... when I first played Luigi's Mansion, I kept thinking it would be awesome to live in it. Sans the ghosts.

Well, the concept of a mansion is very different in different parts of the world... What is your definition of it?

The Victorian Mansion, Plantation House , and the big ones.
Is it an unfortunate implications for someone to live in a plantation house (Don't even look at my avatar).

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-19, 10:25 PM
If I was the kind of person who could live in a mansion, I'd be holding lavish dinner parties and making the servants dress up as living chess pieces to play games with my society friends, all while waving hundred dollar bills in front of poor people and then setting them on fire (whether I'm setting fire to the money or the poor people is up to your imagination) instead of spending time on an internet forum. That's what rich people do, right?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-19, 10:58 PM
all while waving hundred dollar bills in front of poor people and then setting them on fire (whether I'm setting fire to the money or the poor people is up to your imagination)

Both.
Duh.

Feytalist
2012-04-20, 01:57 AM
Well. My family home is more properly a country estate, but it's a huge house with lots of rooms with maids and cooks and gardeners on a large tract of land. Olympic-size swimming pool, small gholf course, horse stables, (ostrich encampment, heh), so I suppose it could qualify as a mansion.

What's it like? As a kid, it's nothing unusual. Someone makes your bed and cleans your room for you, someone prepares your meals for you, you get woken up with coffee in bed, stuff like that. Now that I've grown up, we don't visit as often, but it's a bit strange. Everything is done for you. Want your shoes cleaned and shined? Leave them outside your door. Want a packed lunch to take on your day trip? Ask the cook. It's a bit disconcerting, actually.

dehro
2012-04-20, 06:21 AM
I've spent part of my childhood (7+ years) in a mansion in Tuscany. the nearest village was 4 km away..we had horses vineyards, olive trees and the whole shebang.. a few people of staff who were mainly involved in keeping the grounds and the wildlife (it was also a hunting place..for wild boar, hares and phesants).. we didn't really do the whole "gentry" thing because it was a workplace and a place where we received tourists in the nearby cottages..so..not too compfy after all.
the main building did however have 50+ rooms, was centuries old, had a chapel, a few wings, gardens, old creaking plumbing, thick walls and thing windows, several cellars (in which I got myself locked up once for doing something bad..even though I broke myself out of it after I got bored exploring in the dark.). the main source of heat was woodburning stoves and fireplaces.
it was altogether quite a harsh way of living, despite having a maid (one maid can only do so much. I had to clean my own room and change my own bed, and get up before 6 to feed the horses and travel 1 hour to school in Florence)
no, these places hold no fear for me at all.

Person_Man
2012-04-20, 07:56 AM
I once lived in a 3 bedroom row house, which qualifies as a mansion in New York City. 90% of my friends lived in efficiencies or converted 2 bedrooms. (For those of you outside of NY, that's when you take a one bedroom apartment and turn the living room into a second bedroom). Of course, I lived with 5 other people. But there was always beer in the fridge. Ah, the joys of urban life.

Palthera
2012-04-20, 08:12 AM
I've lived in big old houses, but the only mansion I don't remember because we moved. When I was a kid I attended a private school where a number of my friends lived in mansions. My best friend at the time had a whole floor of the place to herself, her parents were hardly ever around and we used to run wild when I went to play with her.

And it's not spooky at all. It's just a house, albeit on a larger scale than you're normally used to. If you've always lived in old houses, you don't really notice the creeks and groans. But you don't get properly old houses in the States (:smallwink:) my parents house is older than your constitution.

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-20, 03:13 PM
Honestly, after watching a scary movie, my split-level house creeps me out sometimes. I'm convinced that Alien is lurking around the corner. Which is wierd, because no matter what scary movie I just watched, the thing that always creeps me out is Alien.

pffh
2012-04-20, 03:32 PM
I once lived in a 3 bedroom row house.

Well if that counts then I spent my entire childhood in my parents 4 bedroom somewhere between 3000 and 4000 square feet house but I doubt it qualifies as mansion. But it's a timber house so it "talks" and all those creaks and noises from the upper floor could get a little scary when you were home alone after watching a scary movie.

The Glyphstone
2012-04-20, 04:57 PM
Honestly, after watching a scary movie, my split-level house creeps me out sometimes. I'm convinced that Alien is lurking around the corner. Which is wierd, because no matter what scary movie I just watched, the thing that always creeps me out is Alien.

If you just watched a ghost movie, are you worried about Alien ghosts?:smallcool:

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-20, 05:55 PM
If you just watched a ghost movie, are you worried about Alien ghosts?:smallcool:

No, just Alien. That thing creeps me the hell out.

grimbold
2012-04-20, 09:17 PM
No, just Alien. That thing creeps me the hell out.

fair enough :smalltongue:

as for living in a mansion
i have extremely rich friends
one who actually lives in a castle Oo

i don't really know how to describe but is just like a bigger house,
i guess its kind of fun to have all that space...