PDA

View Full Version : Need help comparing various "Casters" power to spell levels.

Kol Korran
2012-04-16, 02:56 PM
a bit of a weird title, huh? couldn't think of a better one.

in a campaign i'm about to run various casters of one tradition (who are all termed witches), can create certain kinds of magic items that are similar but different than scrolls and wands. (in similar i mean they replicate spells and are a wasting resource)

but... they witches include various "caster" who do not cast spells, but rather have some other powers, which i'd also like to be able to put in such items.

Though many of these powers do have a caster level, for the sake of pricing, what level do they have?

so my questions is this- if you could put a power into say... a scroll or a wand, what sort of level would you equal the power to?

(oh, and for long lasting duration, assume the power works for 10 minutes or the duration of the power, which ever is shorter)

i know they can't all be easily "equaled" but i'd like to try

so lets see...
Warlock
Eldritch blast? (i think it's a level 1?) using essence or shape invocations would be considered like adding a power on top of the blast.

invocations? since most have an equal level in their power this seems simple.

Shadow caster
fundementals? (level 0 i think?)

Mysteries? (haven't read much about them yet. are they equal to spells?)

Binder
Vestiges? (i don't think he can put a vestige in an item, but perhaps a fragment of their power? what level does a vestige level equals?)

Spirit shaman
Chastise spirit?

Detect spirit?

ghost warrior?

spirit form?

recall spirit?

Bard
the various bardic music abilities?

Dragon shaman
Auras?

Dragon Breath?

Hex Blade:

Hex curse?

Dire curse?
---------------------------

can you help? suggestions are welcome, but please give an explanation. thanks! :smallsmile:

Godskook
2012-04-16, 03:49 PM
Instead of CL*SL on these charged items, substitute:

AoE Bardic effects: EBL^2 for AoE and half that for single target
Single Target Bardic effects: EBL^2

Marshal and Dragon Shaman Auras: Bonus*Duration, measuring duration as appropriate for your desires. Half that for minor auras.

Eldritch Blast use spell level 1 and half caster level. When using an essence or w/e, use full CL(maybe) and the effective spell level.

Kol Korran
2012-04-17, 02:02 AM
AoE Bardic effects: EBL^2 for AoE and half that for single target
Single Target Bardic effects: EBL^2
By EBL do you mean "Effective Bard Level"? why do you think it should grow exponentially? aren't different kinds of music worth different amounts?

Marshal and Dragon Shaman Auras: Bonus*Duration, measuring duration as appropriate for your desires. Half that for minor auras.
but for pricing, that should be equal to what? how much a +1 bonus wthat lasts 1 minute/ 1 round/ 10 minutes be worth?

Eldritch Blast use spell level 1 and half caster level. When using an essence or w/e, use full CL(maybe) and the effective spell level.
what is your reasoning as to using half caster level?

also, no other ideas people? :smallfrown:

Myou
2012-04-18, 09:30 AM
I'd love to help if I could, but I'm not nearly familiar enough with the classes involved. It's a really interesting idea though, good luck with it!