PDA

View Full Version : One Piece D20 - Any Testers?

Revvix
2012-04-16, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Revvix the founder of Bad Karma Games. We're a fairly new hobby group of game designers, developers, testers, and other odds and ends. Our current (and first) project which is about 95% complete, is One Piece D20 which is exactly what it sounds like. A D20 system game based on the One Piece manga/anime series.

I'm here today to test the waters a bit and see if anyone here would be interested in joining our group. We're mainly looking for testers who can run through One Piece D20's ruleset and let us know what you think. We have a few requirements for membership, such as a 10hr/week minimum for project work, but I feel the benefits are really great for the time spent. Getting rewarded for working on game projects, meeting like-minded designers, and getting some experience along the way has been great so far. Our style of work is very casual, but at the same time, professional and informative.

We're completely non-profit of course. We purely do this as a hobby, outside of our normal day jobs. We already have 2 other projects lined up after One Piece D20, so don't be to concerned if you haven't read/seen the One Piece series. When we feel a project is ready to be released, we post it on our website with a free download link. If you're curious, check us out at http://badkarmagames.com/join-us/. You can also find a little more information about One Piece D20 there, much more information to come in the next few weeks though.

Keep up the great work Homebrew, and look out for our official release next month!

EDIT: 1.0.0 is now available! Check it out here: http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/

TravelLog
2012-04-16, 08:42 PM
I'd love to help! One Piece is definitely one of my favorite manga series. Dare I hope you guys consider Berserk? Mechanics for Apostles and stuff could be fascinating.

Fate/Stay would also be incredible...

Anyway, what would you like me to do to begin?

Empedocles
2012-04-16, 08:49 PM
I'd be very interested :smallsmile:

Revvix
2012-04-16, 10:05 PM
I'd love to help! One Piece is definitely one of my favorite manga series. Dare I hope you guys consider Berserk? Mechanics for Apostles and stuff could be fascinating.

Fate/Stay would also be incredible...

Anyway, what would you like me to do to begin?

Unfortunately, we don't have any other anime related games planned at the moment, which is why I didn't go into detail about our next projects. Our immediate next project in the works is a custom card game (again, not anime related).

If anyone is interested in joining Bad Karma Games, just check out the link I provided and send us an email there. If you're just interested in playing our One Piece game and providing feedback, just wait a few more weeks and we'll have a free download for you :) We're very being very meticulous about making sure everything is formatted, spelled correctly, and works for our rule set. Quality!

Joining us as official testers during the editing process takes a commitment, playing the game of course, is free and easy! If you have any more questions you can email me directly at [email protected].

Revvix
2012-05-03, 09:38 AM
Hello again!

I just wanted to update my previous post to let everyone know we now have a release date of May 13th. We're now looking for groups of players who are interested in testing the game in an official capacity. These groups will have a leader (probably the DM) who would be in charge of writing down issues/questions/points to submit to our team and help improve future versions of the game. There are no requirements for this, but if your team submits a significant amount of useful information, we'll add you into the game's credits.

If this sounds like something you'd like to do, just let us know by sending an email to [email protected] and title your email "Group Tester". We'll get back to you with further instructions. I'll stop by again next Sunday to post a public download link. Have a great week everyone!

Revvix
2012-05-12, 11:56 PM
One Piece D20 1.0.0 (Beta) is now available. We really look forward to your feedback!

Check it out here: http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/

Doorhandle
2012-05-13, 06:19 AM
Got one or two typos for you: Grapple checks reference a base-attack bonus, and I don't think there are any spells you can cast in this game, so the mention in standard actions should go. Also, there is nothing under pinning.

Otherwise, I'm liking the system a lot, thus far.

Edit: Does THIS (http://www.drunkduck.com/One_Piece_Grand_Line_3_point_5/5324196/) have any relavance to you?

Revvix
2012-05-13, 08:25 AM
Got one or two typos for you: Grapple checks reference a base-attack bonus, and I don't think there are any spells you can cast in this game, so the mention in standard actions should go. Also, there is nothing under pinning.

Otherwise, I'm liking the system a lot, thus far.

Edit: Does THIS (http://www.drunkduck.com/One_Piece_Grand_Line_3_point_5/5324196/) have any relavance to you?

I corrected these and the changes will be included in the next release. Also, lol.

Necroticplague
2012-05-28, 12:28 PM
The page for cyborgs mentions them using "fuel" under their Gas Guzzler abiility, but nowhere does it say what cyborgs use as fuel. Should they simply select a fluid substance to use as a fuel, and stick with it for the rest of their life (like choosing an engine with a custom fuel type)?

Sypher667
2012-05-28, 08:17 PM
Also relevant to the cyborg, under what conditions is he "Low on fuel"? Mentioned as a status condition, similar to fatigue, but nothing seems to cause this.

Revvix
2012-05-29, 10:08 AM
Also relevant to the cyborg, under what conditions is he "Low on fuel"? Mentioned as a status condition, similar to fatigue, but nothing seems to cause this.

Thanks for bringing up these issues, I'll be sure to clarify some of the cyborg mechanics in the next release. For now, we'll say that being at or below half a bottle of fuel puts the cyborg into a "low on fuel" state. Having zero fuel left puts the cyborg into "running on fumes".

As for the fuel types, it can be almost anything liquid which contains calories or energy. For example you could choose a typical fuel substance like oil or gasoline. Or, like Franky, you could use human-edible liquids like tea, vegetable juice, cola, alcohol, etc.

Again I'll clear up these two issues in the next release. For now, please head over to the download page (http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/) and grab the new version 1.0.1!

TravelLog
2012-06-02, 02:02 AM
With the new update, a couple things I'd like to see:

Ability to use Soru and Kami-e, along with the ability to take feats modifying Rokushiki abilities so the player can make variants
Expanded Cyborg options
Section on the "Will of D." and perhaps an accompanying feat
A section about Poneglyphs, Pluton, Poseidon and and Uranus
A section for the various dials with their in-game mechanical benefits when applied to items, or at least a guide for making items incorporating dials.
A Chef/Brawler prestige class (Sanji)

Empedocles
2012-06-02, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if you were planning on doing this, but you really need a few example devil fruits.

Otherwise, I love what I've seen so far! Keep it up :smallsmile:

Revvix
2012-06-02, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if you were planning on doing this, but you really need a few example devil fruits.

Otherwise, I love what I've seen so far! Keep it up :smallsmile:

There are 3 examples included with the "full package download". We're currently working on adding a ton of example character sheets though - more to come!

TravelLog
2012-06-02, 11:50 AM
How would one go about statting up animals and sea kings? Hmm...advice?

Revvix
2012-06-02, 11:54 AM
Ability to use Soru and Kami-e, along with the ability to take feats modifying Rokushiki abilities so the player can make variants
I'll think about this. It may be worth taking the Rokushiki feats and placing them into their own feat list (like the Haki feats are right now). Then the Rokushiki Master prestige class can just enhance them greatly.
Expanded Cyborg options
Do you have any examples? Do you just mean more Cyborg Implants?
Section on the "Will of D." and perhaps an accompanying feat
I've been considering this, but it wouldn't make much sense. It would either overpower characters or cause arguments about what the feat should give you. You're more than welcome to name your character with D. and roleplay it though!
A section about Poneglyphs, Pluton, Poseidon and and Uranus
This is on my do-to-list for sure.
A section for the various dials with their in-game mechanical benefits when applied to items, or at least a guide for making items incorporating dials.
Unfortunately this is hard to do without a lot of play testing. I'm currently playing a game as a Skypeian and I plan to play with Dials a lot to some up with a static list of bonuses.
A Chef/Brawler prestige class (Sanji)
This is very specific, which I'm trying to avoid. Honestly, I don't feel a player character should be able to mimic Sanji. He is a unique character who has more or less developed his own style. That being said, I do plan to create a custom character sheet for each member of the Straw Hat Pirates at some point. Maybe then you can grab the unique feats from Sanji's sheet and use them for your character :)

Revvix
2012-06-02, 11:58 AM
How would one go about statting up animals and sea kings? Hmm...advice?

Animals would only have access to general feats, and of those only the ones that make sense. As for sea kings, they would have a lot of constitution and strength. They would also be in the largest size catagory and possibly start with more than 20 attribute points at level 1, considering they are born with more power than the average person.

When you're done with these, I'd love to see the character sheets. I'm in the middle of creating an entire library of example sheets right now - going to take a while =/

TravelLog
2012-06-02, 11:59 AM
Separate rokushiki feats enhanced by the class would be awesome.

And you're right about Sanji and, I suppose, the Will of D. A section just mentioning it and describing it might not be amiss though.

For Cyborg, I meant more implants, and more specifically, the ability at high levels to "dock" like Franky does against the New Fishmen Pirates. Iron Pirate Franky Shogun!

And I definitely understand the dial issue. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Have you thought of an Art of Weather section too? The Storm lord PrC doesn't give that many options.

Hanuman
2012-06-02, 04:54 PM
Fruit = +ECL10 (3.5/P)

And that's about it.

There's a few roadblocks here, most of them revolve around balancing the fruit as they are worth probably 1mil GP each.

I'd probably get over them by saying that additional fruits do grant you additional class features, but don't grant you the extra levels, as some people will want to play without the fruits, and to be fair you should probably make it worth their while. DnD might not be the best system to balance this on TBH.

Empedocles
2012-06-02, 06:53 PM
There are 3 examples included with the "full package download". We're currently working on adding a ton of example character sheets though - more to come!

My mistake. I downloaded the full package, but have not yet looked at the expansions beyond core.

Empedocles
2012-06-03, 02:04 PM
A few things.

Is the Skypean race meant to cover skypieans, birkas, and shandians? The three are separate species from Skypiea, and the picture you have is a shandian I think.

You left out the wotan (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Wotans) species I think.

Lastly, it'd be very nice to (over time, of course) see stats for a lot of the devil fruits from the actual show. I can't imagine a One Piece RPG without rules for playing Luffy, after all.

Bowerbird
2012-07-02, 11:53 AM
Just started flicking through this today. Very impressed so far and look forward to getting a few friends together IRL to work on some characters.

Also, version 1.2.1 (http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/) is out.

Things I've noticed so far

1) It's pretty minor, in the Classes List, the title still says "Careers List"
2) Maybe a section at the start of the classes chapter, explaining that each class is accompanied by a list of feats that only that class can take. This might be mentioned elsewhere, but I thought, initially at least, this was a bit confusing.
3) Is changing classes or careers partway through at all possible?
4) If you could include some example monster/animal/sea king stats along with the character sheets it'd no doubt cut down on a fair bit of GM work. Probably don't need too many though. Actually looking again, maybe a Sea King secondary crewmate option? The Arlong pirates had one after all.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I hope it was helpful. Once again, I like the system very much, it accomplishes a great deal without being huge or clunky like a lot of homebrew systems end up.

EDIT: Perhaps for the Wotan, just allow Fishmen to go up to Huge?

Revvix
2012-07-02, 02:44 PM
Just started flicking through this today. Very impressed so far and look forward to getting a few friends together IRL to work on some characters.

Also, version 1.2.1 (http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/) is out.

Things I've noticed so far

1) It's pretty minor, in the Classes List, the title still says "Careers List"
2) Maybe a section at the start of the classes chapter, explaining that each class is accompanied by a list of feats that only that class can take. This might be mentioned elsewhere, but I thought, initially at least, this was a bit confusing.
3) Is changing classes or careers partway through at all possible?
4) If you could include some example monster/animal/sea king stats along with the character sheets it'd no doubt cut down on a fair bit of GM work. Probably don't need too many though. Actually looking again, maybe a Sea King secondary crewmate option? The Arlong pirates had one after all.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I hope it was helpful. Once again, I like the system very much, it accomplishes a great deal without being huge or clunky like a lot of homebrew systems end up.

EDIT: Perhaps for the Wotan, just allow Fishmen to go up to Huge?

Thanks for feedback, I appreciate it. I'll take your suggestions into consideration for the next release for sure. Hope your group has fun and if you create any example characters or creatures I would be more than happy to add them to our official example list.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-02, 06:49 PM
This is really great. I'm already almost done, ish, with making a character for this. Its built on level ten.
Now what to do with my nice new character... :smallfrown:

Bowerbird
2012-07-10, 02:01 PM
Any suggestions as to what level would be good for the Warlords, Admirals, Vice-Admirals, etc? I'm thinking of changing them up if I run one of these IRL