PDA

View Full Version : Best Polymorph form for Assume Supernatural Ability?

tuesdayscoming
2012-04-16, 04:44 PM
I'm looking for a Polymorph form, including (and especially) Outsider forms, that can make good use of Assume Supernatural Ability. Limited to 14HD forms and below.

I've never really delved into the world of Polymorph abuse, so any recommendations are appreciated.

Note: Assume that this is the ONLY form that the character can Polymorph into. As such, the more viable it is in a variety of situations, the better. Combat readiness is always a strong plus. Versatility of Supernatural Abilities is another.

Let me know if any further clarifications would help narrow down the field!

Aegis013
2012-04-16, 04:49 PM
Assume Supernatural Ability: Beholder Eye Rays is always a strong candidate.

Beholder is 11hd, so it fits your HD limit, and you get Charm Monster, Charm Person, Disintegrate, Fear, Finger of Death, Flesh to Stone, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Sleep, Slow, and Telekinesis. Imo these abilities offer a pretty nice set up for dealing with a lot of different problems. For a single feat? Awesome.

Plus other benefits such as perfect 50ft fly speed and +15 natural armor.

Piggy Knowles
2012-04-16, 05:33 PM
I find it VERY hard to beat the Choker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm)'s Quickness ability. An extra standard action every round is pretty much always going to be insanely useful.

tuesdayscoming
2012-04-16, 05:35 PM
Both good suggestions. The Beholder is very nice. Will talk to the DM about that, though I think the players (I'm helping to build a BBEG) have pumped their saves so high that the eyeblasts may not be relevant.

As to the Choker, I actually just stumbled on the Feverclaw (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030214a). It has a similar ability, as well as better stats and a few other useful (Su) abilities. That may be the route we take.

Rubik
2012-04-16, 06:46 PM
The chronotyryn can take two turns for every round his initiative comes up. That means two of EVERYTHING. Two swifts, two moves, and two standards every single round.

tuesdayscoming
2012-04-16, 09:30 PM
The chronotyryn can take two turns for every round his initiative comes up. That means two of EVERYTHING. Two swifts, two moves, and two standards every single round.

Oh man, that's just gorgeous. Cool looking creature, too! Unfortunately, as I said in my original post, I'm looking for forms of no more than 14 HD. Unfortunately, the Chronotyryn has 17.

Great suggestion, though!

Eisenfavl
2012-04-16, 09:35 PM
Sarruk. 14 HD, has the alter form ability...

VGLordR2
2012-04-16, 10:53 PM
As Scottzar said, the Sarrukh. Of all of the possible forms that you can take, this one is absolutely and undeniably the most powerful. It has the Manipulate Form ability, which is the most game-breaking ability ever written. This monster is the entire basis of the infamous Pun-Pun build, the single most powerful character to have ever been created. Of course, you can only use the ability on a "Scaled One of Toril" (which includes most reptiles), but if you can get a lizard as a familiar, havoc will ensue. Guaranteed.

GreenSerpent
2012-04-16, 10:56 PM
Sarruk. 14 HD, has the alter form ability...

If you try this the DM will throw books at you. You might as well plane shift to the Elemental Plane of Cheese.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-16, 11:29 PM
As Scottzar said, the Sarrukh. Of all of the possible forms that you can take, this one is absolutely and undeniably the most powerful. It has the Manipulate Form ability, which is the most game-breaking ability ever written. This monster is the entire basis of the infamous Pun-Pun build, the single most powerful character to have ever been created. Of course, you can only use the ability on a "Scaled One of Toril" (which includes most reptiles), but if you can get a lizard as a familiar, havoc will ensue. Guaranteed.

I think that, despite being the most powerful ability in 3.5e, finding the DM's +2 Cold Iron d20 hurtling violently into your skull upon its mention makes it far from the "best", when considering actual play.

As for the Will save to use it, would one just pick up the Diamond Mind Will Save maneuver to auto-pass it with a concentration check?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-17, 12:20 AM
If you try this the DM will throw books at you. You might as well plane shift to the Elemental Plane of Cheese.

Watch out for the Emmental Elementals!