PDA

View Full Version : Bard with Four Arms: What are the Penalties?

zoobob9
2012-04-16, 08:00 PM
I'm planning on making a bard, and I've considered, for the fun of it, making a Thri-Kreen. I know, they have an immense LA to overcome and a hit to CHA, but the idea is still entertaining. The question I present to you is: If I used one or two hands to fight (with a rapier perhaps) and the other two to three to play an instrument for bardic music, what penalties would I take? I'd assume there would be the two weapon fighting penalties, but would it count as a light weapon or as a normal weapon?

awa
2012-04-16, 08:14 PM
by raw it wouldn't work at all otherwise singing bards would be able to fight and sing with no penalty.

Uncensored
2012-04-16, 08:17 PM
From what I've read, the level adjustment accounts for the mental difficulties in having multiple limbs performing simultaneous actions, so... if an instrument is two-handed, and you're wielding the rapiers in combat while playing, you'd probably just have to make a Concentration check to avoid flubbing the song.

Necroticplague
2012-04-16, 08:20 PM
Normally, you simply don't have the actions to perform and attack at the same time. If you have the Multitasking feat, however, you could use two of your arms for an instrument (like say... a pair of maracas), while the other two fight.

Flickerdart
2012-04-16, 08:21 PM
You are fighting with a single weapon, and would take no penalties. If playing an instrument counted as a weapon, bards who sing would be suffering TWF penalties. If holding anything in your hands counted as a weapon, then you would suffer TWF penalties when wielding a shield. You do not do either thing.

danzibr
2012-04-16, 09:01 PM
You are fighting with a single weapon, and would take no penalties. If playing an instrument counted as a weapon, bards who sing would be suffering TWF penalties. If holding anything in your hands counted as a weapon, then you would suffer TWF penalties when wielding a shield. You do not do either thing.
Well said, sir.

tyckspoon
2012-04-16, 09:51 PM
by raw it wouldn't work at all otherwise singing bards would be able to fight and sing with no penalty.

..Singing bards *do* fight and sing with no penalty. That is in fact exactly why Perform (Sing) or Perform (Oratory) are often recommended.

Answerer
2012-04-16, 10:05 PM
For completion's sake, starting Bardic Music requires an action. Maintaining it requires merely stating that you are maintaining it, and not doing anything that would explicitly prevent you from continuing (i.e. putting down your instrument, or using your voice for something else if singing, etc.)

kulosle
2012-04-17, 02:59 AM
There are better, as in less LA, way of getting extra set of arms. There is a graft handbook around here somewhere that you can use. There is also persisting garillions blessing or a dip into, i think its, totemist for an extra set.

Darrin
2012-04-17, 05:43 AM
There are better, as in less LA, way of getting extra set of arms. There is a graft handbook around here somewhere that you can use. There is also persisting garillions blessing or a dip into, i think its, totemist for an extra set.

This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10699987&postcount=10) covers most of the methods of getting extra arms.

If all you want is a bug with four arms, Diopsid (Dragon Compendium) is similar to the Thri-Kreen, but no racial HD and only LA +1. Also, no Cha penalty: +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int. You can add the Magic-Blooded template (Dragon #306) for +2 Cha/-2 Wis.

Talya
2012-04-17, 06:20 AM
It would work fine by RAW, despite what a bunch of others say here.

Bardic Music does not require an action to maintain. You can fight and use it at the same time without penalty.

Also, someone mentioned "If instruments are considered a weapon..."

(1) they are not weapons.
(2) holding two weapons does not give you TWF penalties. You need to attack with both weapons to get penalties. I doubt you're attacking with a mandolin.

Dairuga
2012-04-17, 06:42 AM
If you have the Multitasking feat, however, you could use two of your arms for an instrument (like say... a pair of maracas), while the other two fight.

Or you could fight with your Maracas.

With. Your. Maracas.

1d2 damage each. Badum-badum-basscritch.

Barstro
2012-04-17, 07:18 AM
(2) holding two weapons does not give you TWF penalties. You need to attack with both weapons to get penalties. I doubt you're attacking with a mandolin.

And to the left... holding an instrument does not give a penalty, but putting effort into playing it would might.

I would think that, in the real world, fighting with two weapons would be easier than fighting with one and carrying a decent tune on some one-hand keyboard.

But all of that is only for argument's sake. If a singing bard gets no penalties, I don't see why a four-armed should either.

Talya
2012-04-17, 08:32 AM
And to the left... holding an instrument does not give a penalty, but putting effort into playing it would might.

I would think that, in the real world, fighting with two weapons would be easier than fighting with one and carrying a decent tune on some one-hand keyboard.

But all of that is only for argument's sake. If a singing bard gets no penalties, I don't see why a four-armed should either.

We're not discussing what should be, but RAW. :)

Zubrowka74
2012-04-17, 11:48 AM

With. Your. Maracas.

1d2 damage each. Badum-badum-basscritch.

Hollow maces with a couple of dried beans inside ?

Leon
2012-04-17, 12:09 PM

Still enough to be beaned with.

Lapak
2012-04-17, 12:14 PM

With. Your. Maracas.

1d2 damage each. Badum-badum-basscritch.Perform: Stick and Bucket Dance?

Cieyrin
2012-04-17, 01:15 PM

If Battle Aspergillum are functional weapons, I don't see a reason that Battle Maracas couldn't work, either. Just play the second half of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" and you can have a nice song to use as you battle. (Thank 'The Hangover' for that :smalltongue:)

Flickerdart
2012-04-17, 02:11 PM
Perform (Fist and Face).

Answerer
2012-04-17, 04:59 PM
Isn't there a Dragon feat somewhere that literally supports using your opponents' heads as drums?

Also, it's pretty common for some fighters to be described as dancing: so put ranks in Perform (Dance) and tie some bells to your outfit, and you're good to go.

Moogleking
2012-04-17, 05:03 PM
I love the mental image of a bard with four arms, solemnly playing the violin or harp, whilst dual wielding hand axes and massacring EVERYTHING.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-17, 06:16 PM
I love the mental image of a bard with four arms, solemnly playing the violin or harp, whilst dual wielding hand axes and massacring EVERYTHING.

This.

I must do this. Either that or play mournful saxophone/trumpet music.

Cieyrin
2012-04-17, 09:24 PM
Isn't there a Dragon feat somewhere that literally supports using your opponents' heads as drums?

You're probably thinking of Deadly Concussion, though that's about sundering armor and dealing the same damage to the target, which is rather badly written in comparison to the tactic that's part of Combat Brute.

Big Fau
2012-04-17, 09:38 PM
Wield an axe, max out Perform: Strings, and introduce METAL to your DM's campaign.

Barstro
2012-04-18, 07:54 AM

Thank you for replacing my otherwise lame image of a mandolin player with Charlie Daniels' Johnny spinning around with his golden fiddle and two axes. I like it a lot.

If I had any internets, they would belong to you.