PDA

View Full Version : Old Spice Guy vs. The Most Interesting Man In The World

The Glyphstone
2012-04-16, 08:05 PM
Because after pitting Getter Emperor against the entire WH40K universe, the forum needs a break.:smallbiggrin:

So, in one corner, the inestimable Isiah Mustafa, AKA Old Spice Guy.
-He can teleport people onto boats,
-cast Transmute Tickets To Diamonds
-and ride a horse.

In the other corner, The Most Interesting Man In The World. He doesn't often compete in Vs. matches, but when he does, it's on GitP.
-His charm is so contagious, vaccines have been created for it.
-Years ago, he built a city out of blocks. Today, six hundred thousand people live and work there.
-He is the only man to ever ace a Rorschach test.
-Every time he goes for a swim, dolphins appear.
-Alien abductors ask him to probe them.
-If he were to give directions, you'd never get lost, and arrive 5 minutes early.
And many other impressive accomplishments.

So, Two memes enter, one meme leaves. Who wins, why, and most importantly, what are they fighting over?

Maxios
2012-04-16, 08:08 PM
TMIMITW wins because *duh* he's the most interesting man in the world. They're probably fighting over whose meme is bigger.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-04-16, 08:17 PM
I have to give this to TMIMITW, really go to any of the "big" meme sites like Funnyjunk, 9gag and the like and it is much more common to find TMIMITW memes than Old Spice guy.

TheThan
2012-04-16, 08:52 PM
old spice guy: the guy your woman wishes you smelled like.
TMIMITW: the guy men wish they were more like.

So yah, its close, but I say, the most interesting man in the world has it.

Tengu_temp
2012-04-16, 08:52 PM
The real winner is the audience.

tyckspoon
2012-04-16, 09:01 PM
Old Spice Guy is the better commercial, IMO, especially if you go find all the community-engagement stuff they did for it on Youtube. TMIMITW is more exploitable for creating derivative memes, which I suppose makes him the 'better meme'- "I don't often X, but when I do, I Y" is a very memetic formula that lends itself easily to image macros, while Old Spice Guy needs more of a long-form text copypasta to pay off.

That said, I think Old Spice is actually more memorable *for himself*; people know what he does in his commercials, whereas that other dude is mostly known for the exploitable meme tagline. The feats that supposedly make him The Most Interesting Man In The World are mostly forgotten.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-04-16, 09:11 PM
The real winner is the audience.

This, but raises the question.... who we could actually survive manliness of that magnitude?

Mauve Shirt
2012-04-16, 09:21 PM
I don't often find black men attractive, but when I do they're Isiah Mustafa. Just saying.

Elm11
2012-04-16, 09:30 PM
Honestly, I feel this thread ought to be a face off between Old Spice Guy and Zeddie Little (the world's most photogenic person).

Traab
2012-04-16, 09:54 PM
The Most Interesting just seems to be a less violence oriented chuck norris copy. So Old Spice wins!

Mewtarthio
2012-04-16, 11:01 PM
"Look at my fist. Now look at me. Now look back at my fist. It is grasping your still-beating heart. Now look again: Your heart is now diamonds!"

Eldan
2012-04-16, 11:34 PM
I never found the Most Interesting Man all that interesting or charismatic. So, Spice Guy.

Sodalite
2012-04-17, 07:21 AM
TMIMITW seems a more kind of mundane awesome, having a list of achievements he has done in the past. But has he ever physically traveled to the past? The Old Spice Guy has, and that's why he has my vote.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-04-17, 07:32 AM
Hello, playgrounders. Look at your meme, now back to me, now back at your meme, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me. But if he stopped using ladies scented GIFs and switched to Old Spice, he could look like he's me. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the meme your meme could look like. What's in you hand? Back at me, I'm holding it. It's a post with two links to that site you love. Look again, the links are now JPEGs. Anything is possible when your meme smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I'm on a lolcat.

Dienekes
2012-04-17, 09:45 AM
While Old Spice Guy is undoubtedly more original, I find the Most Interesting Man tends to be funnier ("He figure skates, and it is glorious" had me in stitches). So I have to give it to him.

But honestly, I would much rather see this internet duel than that one they had between Old Spice Guy and Fabio.

Karoht
2012-04-17, 10:54 AM
Old Spice Guy. More ladies already swoon for him, before he starts talking. Then he says 'hello ladies' and wins.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-17, 10:55 AM
Damn, who to choose. Old Spice Guy has magic powers, that fact we can't see his lower half leads me to believe he is in fact a jinn, but the Most Interesting Man in the World is a Badass Normal, and so . . interesting

kpenguin
2012-04-17, 02:01 PM
It's a pity Segata Sanshiro isn't around to participate.

pffh
2012-04-17, 02:07 PM
Damn, who to choose. Old Spice Guy has magic powers, that fact we can't see his lower half leads me to believe he is in fact a jinn, but the Most Interesting Man in the World is a Badass Normal, and so . . interesting

I think we see his legs when he summons a motorcycle from a hot tub.

And that was a perfectly ordinary sentence.

Tavar
2012-04-17, 02:10 PM
The video in question. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtF13U5t8xE)

Flickerdart
2012-04-17, 02:21 PM
The Most Interesting Man might have a lot of memes, but none of them are funny. The Old Spice Guy has this (http://www.devastatingexplosions.com/).

Omergideon
2012-04-17, 03:47 PM
To quote a man I once knew, a man attracted to other men is gay. A man attracted to the old spice guy is merely human.

I think they stop fighting, go out for drinks and cause the rest of mankind to hang there heads in shame, curse them for making us look bad, then buy the next round to keep the party going. And to pick up the women they miraculously turn down (to give us a chance).

Omergideon
2012-04-17, 03:48 PM
"This is not the double post you were looking for"

Forum Explorer
2012-04-17, 03:55 PM
The Most Interesting Man in the World.

They are both pretty funny but I always liked his better.

Velaryon
2012-04-17, 05:19 PM
Hello, playgrounders. Look at your meme, now back to me, now back at your meme, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me. But if he stopped using ladies scented GIFs and switched to Old Spice, he could look like he's me. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the meme your meme could look like. What's in you hand? Back at me, I'm holding it. It's a post with two links to that site you love. Look again, the links are now JPEGs. Anything is possible when your meme smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I'm on a lolcat.

:smallbiggrin: Well done. :smallbiggrin:

The Most Interesting Man might have a lot of memes, but none of them are funny. The Old Spice Guy has this (http://www.devastatingexplosions.com/).

That's awesome. I have no idea what this link has to do with Old Spice, but I don't care.

I vote for Old Spice Guy. I enjoyed TMIMITW at first, even though it was heavily derivative of the Chuck Norris meme, but it's starting to get stale for me. I might still get a chuckle the first time I hear a new commercial, but right after that I'm back to being bored of it.

Plus, this parody (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB4P_VMNGYQ) tips the scales even more in favor of Old Spice Guy.

MammonAzrael
2012-04-17, 08:13 PM
Plus, this parody (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB4P_VMNGYQ) tips the scales even more in favor of Old Spice Guy.

Oh my god, yes. Thank you for this. :smallbiggrin:

Forum Explorer
2012-04-17, 08:21 PM
That was pretty amazing. So while we are sharing here is my faviorate spin off of the most interesting man in the world. The Most interesting pony in the world. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPIY9yHCsg)

Devonix
2012-04-17, 08:25 PM
What about the Old Spice Bodywash guy Terry Crews vs the Deoderent guy

Teleportation and reality altering smoothness, vs PURE POOOOOWER!!!!

Battleship789
2012-04-17, 11:53 PM
Old Spice Guy wins for me. In addition to this (http://www.devastatingexplosions.com/) site, the Motivational Website (http://www.youareawonderfulpersonwithmanyuniquegiftsandta lents.info/) and the manly .gifs (http://manlygifs.tumblr.com/) site, he gave the following idea for Halloween:

"If you don't have an idea for the big Halloween costume yet, why not consider putting on some Old Spice and going as a man."

"Liking" Old Spice may have been the best decision I have made on Facebook.

Edit: Just noticed, my signature is an Old Spice Guy parody!

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 05:52 AM
I think we see his legs when he summons a motorcycle from a hot tub.

And that was a perfectly ordinary sentence.

Why, so we do. Damn, so much for that theory.
Another great homage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ArIj236UHs).
Edit: Wow, that's the first time I've been ninja-ed by a signature. :smallbiggrin:

ThePhantasm
2012-04-18, 06:19 AM
In a straight up fight, MIMITW has skills, but Old Spice Guy has superpowers - time travel, teleporting, etc. Old Spice Guy wins.

Knight13
2012-04-18, 12:27 PM
Old Spice Guy, definitely. Everyone I know who has seen the first commercial was laughing uncontrollably by the end the first time they saw it.

And I always loved the description on the original video on youtube:

"We're not saying that this body wash will turn your man smell into a romantic, millionaire jet fighter pilot, but we are insinuating it."

Karoht
2012-04-18, 12:38 PM
And it's not the statement, it's the insinuation that counts.

Fri
2012-04-18, 08:49 PM
In a straight up fight, MIMITW has skills, but Old Spice Guy has superpowers - time travel, teleporting, etc. Old Spice Guy wins.

But with enough preparation, MIMITW wins?

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 10:18 PM
You can't really outprepare the Old Spice Guy, who does stuff like plant a motorcycle inside of a hot tub, or convert matter at will.

Kato
2012-04-19, 06:50 AM
The forum has reached a new level of absurdity it seems... well, the Media discussion section, anyway.

But clearly the Old Spice Guy is far superior. The Most Interesting Man might be interesting but it takes more than that to win a fight.

ThePhantasm
2012-04-19, 08:08 AM

lol, is this a Batman vs. Superman thing?

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-19, 08:39 AM
Basically TMIMITW is pretty boring. So there.

Cespenar
2012-04-19, 09:08 AM
There's also the Ridiculously Photogenic Guy meme as a new contender. Might make it an interesting three-way. Battle, I mean. Three-way battle.

BRC
2012-04-19, 09:32 AM
There's also the Ridiculously Photogenic Guy meme as a new contender. Might make it an interesting three-way. Battle, I mean. Three-way battle.
Eh, still no contest. A good looking guy vs The Old Spice Guy, who transcends "Good Looking" into "Good Being"

Ashen Lilies
2012-04-19, 09:56 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that RPG isn't that good looking? Ridiculously Photogenic, sure, in that a random photo of him can look amazing, but himself he's nowhere near as handsome as the Old Spice Guy. Old Spice Guy takes this one, f'sho.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-19, 10:17 AM
Take a look at the image of the Ridiculously Photogenic Guy. Now look again:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/759/ridiculouslyoldspiceguy.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/ridiculouslyoldspiceguy.png/)

The RPG is now Old Spice Guy! Anything is possible when your man smells like an Old Spice man instead of a sweaty marathon runner.

*whistles Old Spice theme*

pffh
2012-04-19, 10:39 AM
Also the photogenic guy is one of the worst case of a forced meme that I've ever seen.

Kato
2012-04-19, 04:24 PM
Also the photogenic guy is one of the worst case of a forced meme that I've ever seen.

I thought so at the beginning but I already got used to him...

Also, I like Greg. Of course, he can't compete, he'd let the other guys win anyway.

Nekura
2012-04-19, 06:30 PM
The Most Interesting Man In The World is very boring. None of the commercials or memes derived from it were close to being as good as old spice. Maybe if they got a better narrator but listening to that or Old Spice Guy is no contest. While Old Spice Guy answering questions on youtube or just random people on the internet doing the Old Spice thing is full of win.

Also monocle smile.

That being said the other old spice guy sucks.

kpenguin
2012-04-19, 09:12 PM
Segata Sanshiro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lCF8O2N50) would have made a far better competitor to Old Spice Guy than TMIMITW, if not for his heroic sacrifice.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-19, 09:14 PM
Can we hope they both lose so we no longer have to see any more of their dumb commercials?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 09:27 PM
Segata Sanshiro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lCF8O2N50) would have made a far better competitor to Old Spice Guy than TMIMITW, if not for his heroic sacrifice.
He'll be back. It would take more than a simple missile to take him out.

Tiki Snakes
2012-04-19, 09:54 PM
He'll be back. It would take more than a simple missile to take him out.

What, like the failure of the console he existed to promote or the functional death of it's parent company?
RIP sweet prince.
:smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 09:59 PM
What, like the failure of the console he existed to promote or the functional death of it's parent company?
RIP sweet prince.
:smallwink:
More than that, friend, more than that. :cool:

TheSummoner
2012-04-19, 10:09 PM
Old Spice Guy.

It's very much a case of "show, don't tell." MIMITW only has a narrorator tell you how awesome he is. You never see him actually do anything, so how do we know the narrarator isn't just lieing to us? But Old Spice Guy? He shows us just how awesome he is at every turn.

the humanity
2012-04-19, 10:39 PM
Old Spice guy. I do think Mimitw would be able to talk him out of it, because it's hard to hate on a charismatic old dude with a cool voice, but if it came down to it, muscled guy with superpowers vs charismatic guy with neither powers nor the same muscles.

Karoht
2012-04-20, 10:15 AM
I thought so at the beginning but I already got used to him...

Also, I like Greg. Of course, he can't compete, he'd let the other guys win anyway.Nah. Good Guy Greg? He'd inform the others that they were ALL winners. With sincerity.

KnightDisciple
2012-04-21, 02:04 PM
Don't you all know?

This has already happened.

Mortal eyes cannot behold the battle that occurred, but we know that afterwards, these two legends laughed it off and forged a bond of friendship.

Steel yourselves, for what I am about to show you is not for the faint of heart.

BEHOLD:http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/KnightDisciple/OldSpiceMostInterestingMan1.jpg

Tengu_temp
2012-04-21, 03:11 PM
I presume that light in the background is awesomeness exploding.

Traab
2012-04-21, 04:31 PM
I presume that light in the background is awesomeness exploding.

That much awesome in close proximity forced the sun to supernova. Luckily they were able to reform it shortly afterwards.

Admiral Squish
2012-04-21, 04:58 PM
That much awesome in close proximity forced the sun to supernova. Luckily they were able to reform it shortly afterwards.

*ahem*
DOUBLE SUN POWER!

Anyways, my vote goes to MYMCSL.

CGforever!
2012-04-24, 04:37 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/zmdpuw.jpg

Ravens_cry
2012-04-24, 04:44 AM
You don't always post poorly compressed JPEGS with more wasted space than a bag of off-brand potato chips . . .
But when you do you post Elminster.

CGforever!
2012-04-24, 04:54 AM
You don't always post poorly compressed JPEGS with more wasted space than a bag of off-brand potato chips . . .
But when you do you post Elminster.

I don't have photoshop. Bite me.

I thought it was funny.