PDA

View Full Version : Cure Spells Rewrite [D&D 3.5]

Ziegander
2012-04-16, 08:19 PM
In the interest of making Cure spells competitive with blasting spells of equal level, here are a few new spells for you. Note how these also lead up to the powerful Heal spell in a much more smooth fashion. Enjoy.

Cure, Least
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Pal 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You lay your hand upon a creature and cure 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d6). This spell does not channel positive energy and can be used to cure damage that has been dealt to any creature, even Constructs or Undead.

Healing Orb
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Drd 2, Pal 2, Rgr 2
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: Shimmering Orb of Light
Duration: 1 round/level

With a word and a gesture you conjure into a being an orb of benevolent force. Unless you direct it (a move action) the orb remains in the space it was conjured and it can share the space of any other creature or object. If you direct the orb to move it can move up to 30ft per round in any direction, including vertically, and even into or through objects. The orb winks out of existence if it moves beyond the spell's range.

A creature that ends its turn adjacent to or sharing its space with the orb is cured 2d6 points of damage, but only if you wish it to be. Thus, enemies are unable to take advantage of the orb's benevolence unless you choose to be merciful.

Cure Burst
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 3, Clr 3, Drd 4, Pal 3, Rgr 3
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: 20ft-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous + 5 rounds (see text)

Any creatures in the area that you designate as allies are cured of 1d6 damage per level (maximum 10d6). Like, Least Cure, this spell does not channel positive energy and can thus be used to cure damage that has been dealt to any creature.

The area of the spell becomes charged with benevolent force for the next 5 rounds, which cures designated allies within of 1d6 damage per round at the start of each such ally's turn. Allies only benefit during rounds in which they are fully in the spell's area.

Healer's Shield
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 5, Clr 4, Drd 5, Pal 4
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You and any adjacent allies gain a +4 shield bonus to AC (this bonus does not stack with any creature's existing shield bonus, but will overlap with one if it is higher), and are cured of 1d6 points of damage + 1 per caster level (maximum 1d6+15) each round at the start of your turn.

You and any adjacent allies suffer no damage or ill effects when you succeed on your saving throw against a spell or effect that allows a save for half damage or partial effect.

Cure, Greater
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Brd 6, Clr 5, Drd 6
Range: 60ft
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous

Allies in the area are swept up in waves of benevolent force, curing them of 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) and 1 point of temporary ability damage per caster level (maximum 15 points). Allies in the area are also relieved of the Fatigued and/or Exhausted conditions.

bobthe6th
2012-04-16, 08:39 PM
might want to make them semi heal? like pre-maximized with like 1 damage/caster level per spell level?

Othesemo
2012-04-16, 10:54 PM
I like them. Certainly more interesting than cure spells as they are now. No balance issues spring to mind, though I may be wary of DMM: Persist shenanigans on Healer's Shield.

eftexar
2012-04-16, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about DMM: Persist. Its a really cheesy spell to begin with (even if it is usable within the rules) and DMs who allow it in the first place probably wouldn't worry about this.
These are definitely very interesting though. Most of the SRD healing spells are boring and scale weirdly compared to other types of spells.

Elfstone
2012-04-17, 12:21 AM
DMM:Persist isn't a spell. Its Metamagic. Its not cheesy unless you combine it with reach spell.

I also think that there should be some baseline healing, but in addition to the d6s.

Perhaps another 4th level spell that acts as an emanation to 20 feet? Combine burt healing with fast healing with ability drain being healed after x rounds in the aura or something similar?

Ashtagon
2012-04-17, 07:23 AM
Based on some maths I posted a while back on enworld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/5093168-post33.html), I made the following changes:

* CLW always heals at least 10% of the target's max hp, or the RAW amount, whichever is higher.
* CMW always heals at least 20% of the target's max hp, or the RAW amount, whichever is higher.
* CSW always heals at least 30% of the target's max hp, or the RAW amount, whichever is higher.
* CCC always heals at least 40% of the target's max hp, or the RAW amount, whichever is higher.
* heal always heals at least 50% of the target's max hp, or the RAW amount, whichever is higher.

Garryl
2012-04-17, 11:16 AM
Cute how similar these are to existing damage spells.

Not-Shocking Grasp.
Not-Flaming Sphere.
Not-Fireball-with-DoT-rider-effect.
Not-Fire Shield-that-also-benefits-nearby-allies.
Not-Cone of Cold-that-might-not-suck-if-it-was-melded-with-Waves of Fatigue.

Am I close?

Ziegander
2012-04-17, 03:31 PM
Cute how similar these are to existing damage spells.

Not-Shocking Grasp.
Not-Flaming Sphere.
Not-Fireball-with-DoT-rider-effect.
Not-Fire Shield-that-also-benefits-nearby-allies.
Not-Cone of Cold-that-might-not-suck-if-it-was-melded-with-Waves of Fatigue.

Am I close?

;)

Technically, Fireball can light stuff on fire, so it can have the DoT-rider in the right circumstances.

I suppose Healer's Shield doesn't actually need to benefit nearby allies, but I was trying to mirror the fact that Fire Shield hurts foes that hit you. Obviously, Healer's Shield shouldn't heal allies that hit you, or vice versa, so I tried to do something a little different. It feels slightly more powerful than it needs to be.

And, yeah, Cone of Cold just totally sucks.