PDA

View Full Version : need a book

thubby
2012-04-16, 09:12 PM
pretty much title.

authors i currently like are EE Knight, Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, and Peter Brett. something similar to any of their work would be great.

of course, any good fantasy suggestions are always welcome. and no, i dont like a song of ice and fire.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-16, 10:03 PM
The Dragon's Tooth is a relatively new book, first in a series. I love it. It's set in the modern world, about... 2007? But it could easily be an entirely different world, since apparently most of the world can't even figure out when an entire damn empire is in it, a massive explorer's guild known as the Order of Brendan. It's currently in a lesser state, but it's still a bunch of very rich small towns known as Estates. The first book takes place almost entirely in one of the Estates, known as Ashtown, which acts as a prison for ancient, unkillable beings, but most of it looks like any other Estate and you have to search hard or get lucky (or unlucky) to find even one prisoner. The book focuses on one of three artifacts on a keychain possessed by the twelve-year-old main character, the shard of a dragon's tooth, which can kill the unkillable, and renders you immortal as long as you have it.

Also, they force you to take an oath upon membership. Among other things, it forbids you from smoking in the library. :smalltongue:

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-17, 12:41 AM
For the darker sort of fantasy, I highly recommend the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. Think Tolkien, but if Frodo was an insane leper who hated everyone, and Sauron was a bajillion types more abhorrent and cthulhu-esque. It's honestly probably the best serious fantasy I've ever read, ever.

And on the other hand you've got Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Something like 30 fantasy books I once heard described as "Monty Python's Fantasy Novels". Really quick humor, biting satire, liberal amounts of self-reference and parody, perfect(ly ludicrous) wordplay and some of the most genuinely heartwrenching moments in literature (well, some literature anyway).

I'd also recommend Neil Gaiman's American Gods. It reads like a love-letter to folklore and Americanization thereof. Neil Gaiman also wrote a book with Mr Pratchett called Good Omens, a story about what happens when someone misplaces the Antichrist. Hijinks ensue. :smallsmile:

Sneaky Weasel
2012-04-17, 01:08 AM
I second everything that Ninjadeadbeard suggested. Also, try the First Law series, by Joe Abercrombie. If you like Brent Weeks, you'll like Joe Abercrombie. They're very similar in style, with the same sort of dark, gritty fantasy. You'll like it, trust me.

Feytalist
2012-04-19, 04:20 AM
On the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, it's worth noting that the series is not light reading in any sense of the word. It's serious and dark and very depressing. But like the Ninja said, it's possibly the best fantasy series I've ever read.

I'd also recommend everything else by Gaiman. American Gods is probably his best-known work, but Anansi Boys and Neverwhere and Stardust are just as good. Anansi Boys happens to be my favourite. And then there's the graphic novel series Sandman. It's simply superb. There's nothing else that really needs to be said about it.

I always bring this up, but I can also recommend Trudi Canavan's books. The Age of the Five trilogy in particular, but the Black Magician series as well. Fairly standard stories, but brilliant writing.

In a similar vein, Karen Miller's Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series (Innocent Mage and Awakened Mage) is good as well. I've heard good things about it's companion series, Fisherman's Children, as well.

Megatron46
2012-04-19, 04:36 AM
I'll echo the above, in particular Neil Gaiman- but I will add his short stories to the mix, "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Fragile Things". I think his short stories are the best thing he's written- it is a medium he has grasped and uses far more effectively than many other writers.
As another recomendation- sf not fantasy so it may not be your thing;
but the novels of Richard Morgan- in particular the Takeshi Kovacs novels- "Altered Carbon, "Broken Angels" and "Woken Furies" are brilliant

Feytalist
2012-04-19, 05:08 AM
I'll echo the above, in particular Neil Gaiman- but I will add his short stories to the mix, "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Fragile Things". I think his short stories are the best thing he's written- it is a medium he has grasped and uses far more effectively than many other writers.
As another recomendation- sf not fantasy so it may not be your thing;
but the novels of Richard Morgan- in particular the Takeshi Kovacs novels- "Altered Carbon, "Broken Angels" and "Woken Furies" are brilliant

Word.

I actually forgot to include Fragile Things in the above. Short stories and poetry isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Gaiman's are rather brilliant.

I would have included Morgan's books, but it seems the OP leans more towards fantasy. The Kovacs trilogy happens to be my personal favourite SF series ever. I love cyberpunk. His other books, Market Forces and Black Man (I'm told it's called "Thirteen" in the US) are quite good as well, but are even darker (as if that was possible). I've heard good things about his fantasy series as well. Now if I could just get my hands on them...

Megatron46
2012-04-19, 10:03 AM
Word.

I actually forgot to include Fragile Things in the above. Short stories and poetry isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Gaiman's are rather brilliant.

I would have included Morgan's books, but it seems the OP leans more towards fantasy. The Kovacs trilogy happens to be my personal favourite SF series ever. I love cyberpunk. His other books, Market Forces and Black Man (I'm told it's called "Thirteen" in the US) are quite good as well, but are even darker (as if that was possible). I've heard good things about his fantasy series as well. Now if I could just get my hands on them...

"Blackman" is excellent! Dark, clever and excessively violent, all about the nature of masculinity! "Market Forces" is just nasty...it was too dark for me, I read it cos I'd read all his other stuff, but too many bad things happening to the characters!
I've read "The Steel Remains" the first in his fantasy series, the second, "The Cold Commands" is just out in hardback but I haven't read it yet.
I really enjoyed it, I know some people who struggled with the very explicit gay sex scenes, but I think Morgan wanted to fling in some man on man love to make a break from all the staight sex scenes he writes, doesn't bother me! but if you can get it I loved it! I only picked Morgan up because Steven Erikson recommended him and I love the Malazan books....that's another one to add to the list, Erikson's Tales of the Malazan book of the Fallen, a series of 10 books, last one came out in paperback this year!

Weezer
2012-04-19, 06:13 PM
On the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, it's worth noting that the series is not light reading in any sense of the word. It's serious and dark and very depressing. But like the Ninja said, it's possibly the best fantasy series I've ever read.

I too love Thomas Covenant, but I'd like to add another warning: be prepared to hate the protagonist. Donaldson tends to go even beyond anti-hero when writing his characters. I personally find it an interesting take, but some people I've lent the books to have been turned off by it.

Nekura
2012-04-19, 07:35 PM
Yeah I would have to unrecomend Chronicles of Thomas Covenant it was way to angst for me and I don't like reading about rape

However I would recomend David Farland and his Runelords series. It was a very unique concept that I hadn't seen done before and were good reads. Now keep in mind I haven't read all of them so I don't know if he keep the quality up and it's not finished yet so who knows if it will end on a good note.

Emmerask
2012-04-19, 07:55 PM
David Gemmell - Drenai Series,
it pretty much doesn´t get better then these, among the best fantasy authors ever.

For a bit more high fantasy I would recommend The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, his later books get a bit meh but the riftwar books are pretty good.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-19, 08:17 PM
Yeah I would have to unrecomend Chronicles of Thomas Covenant it was way to angst for me and I don't like reading about rape

I would argue mitigating circumstances (plus not quite comparable to RL for fantasy reasons), but I understand how you feel.

Another recommendation I just had: Dune, by Frank Herbert. Its sci-fi, sure. But it's structured and told much more like a fantasy story, and it's a damn good read. Just avoid Brian Herbert's so-called "Prequels" and you'll be fine.

Hida Reju
2012-04-19, 09:31 PM
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny Loved this series for years

Mistborn Trilogy by Brian Sanderson one of the best new fantasy authors I have had the pleasure of reading.

Man on Fire
2012-04-19, 10:10 PM
pretty much title.

authors i currently like are EE Knight, Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, and Peter Brett. something similar to any of their work would be great.

of course, any good fantasy suggestions are always welcome. and no, i dont like a song of ice and fire.

Chronolicles of Amber
Chronolicles of Black Company
The Witcher
Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Riddlemaster from Hed
Anansi Boys
Jack of Shadows
Lord Valentine's Castle (SF but in very fantasy style)
Kedrigern
Princess Bride

Feytalist
2012-04-20, 02:34 AM
Oh yes, the Witcher. Not your standard fantasy fare at all. The writing is very... snarky. The short story collection The Last Wish is pretty good. Lots of twists on some traditional fairy tales. I'd recommend the novel series as well, but I've only read the first book, The Blood of Elves. Also good, but much time is devoted to political meandering. Of course, unless you're Polish, you'll have to pick up a translated version. The English version is quite good, though.

Mauve Shirt
2012-04-20, 05:41 AM
Neil Gaiman, as others have said. I'd like to disagree with the assessment of Gaiman's poetry as "good", but different strokes etc. Smoke & Mirrors is great, but Fragile Things I found much less great.

Also, YAY I'm not alone in disliking ASOIAF!

AshesOfOld
2012-04-20, 05:52 AM
I'm seconding both Joe Abercrombie and Neil Gaiman. Seriously, go read them both.

Person_Man
2012-04-20, 08:03 AM
Is sci-fi allowed? If so, you should look at John Scalzi.

thubby
2012-04-20, 09:48 AM
Is sci-fi allowed? If so, you should look at John Scalzi.

I'm not categorically opposed to sci-fi, I just find so little of what is considered "good" sci-fi even readable.
too many authors get too tied up with the fact they're in space.

otakuryoga
2012-04-21, 02:09 AM
Sheepfarmer's Daughter trilogy from Elizabeth Moon--i have read it around 20x by now

yes Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is worth reading....i am gonna have to find a copy of the one book i am missing(book 2 of 2nd trilogy i think) and re-read it
---the 1st(and only time so far) time i read it was over a summer break when i was in middle school(and its always listed as college level reading)

Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony is another good series
--basic premise is that War, Nature, Time, Fate, and Death are offices held by humans..later on he added Evil and Good