PDA

View Full Version : Disgaea-Inspired Campaign

Zovc
2012-04-16, 11:32 PM
My friends and I were talking about the campaign we want to run in about a month. John, who volunteered to be the DM made a passing suggestion that we base the campaign on Disgaea. My friend Eric and I like the idea a lot, actually.

I'm all about being over-the-top and obnoxious with my jest, and I think I could have a great time playing a character who is insistent on being the best and the protagonist.

Do you have any recommendations for this? We've got easier access to D&D (3.5 and 4.0) than anything else, and that is definitely a plausible medium, but do you have any easy-to-pick-up suggestions?

Do you have any D&D related, or setting/campaign/story related suggestions?

Grinner
2012-04-17, 12:31 AM
For an over-the-top campaign, I think you need an over-the-top system. (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=92296) :smallwink:

Zovc
2012-04-17, 01:51 AM
I'll have to look into that system when I get the chance.

Badgerish
2012-04-17, 08:23 AM
I'll put forward Legend, from Ruleofcool.com

It's a high-power, high-action, high-fantasy game that starts with d20 mechanics then twists them into something very different.

ILM
2012-04-17, 09:06 AM
Go with 3.5e, multiply all damage numbers by 10,000 and add prinnies everywhere. Done! :smallbiggrin:

Zovc
2012-04-17, 10:15 AM
Go with 3.5e, multiply all damage numbers by 10,000 and add prinnies everywhere. Done! :smallbiggrin:

That's a really fun idea, I like it.

I've got two suggested systems, which is a lot for me to look through incidentally.

Could I try to steer the thread in the direction of ideas for the DM and players, regardless of the system? I'm sure John would appreciate any advice I can give him regarding plotlines, scenarios, and encounters, and I know all of our players would like character ideas that are generic enough, but still fun and interesting.

Random thought I had this morning: 4.0 might be more appropriate than 3.5 because of how much more easily you can move your opponents around with attacks. How easily can you move people around with maneuvers in the Tome of Battle?

Cieyrin
2012-04-17, 10:58 AM
Random thought I had this morning: 4.0 might be more appropriate than 3.5 because of how much more easily you can move your opponents around with attacks. How easily can you move people around with maneuvers in the Tome of Battle?

ToB tends to handle moving opponents mostly via Setting Sun, which is a pretty close analog to using Disgaea Fist weapons in general. Tiger Claw works reasonably well for Spears and White Raven and Iron Heart work with Swords. Axes are covered by a mix of Iron Heart and Stone Dragon. Bows and Guns are kinda left out in the cold by the default system, though they get covered by homebrew disciplines fairly well.

I actually think PF handles moving people around better than 3.5 and ToB does, since most of the maneuvering is feat-based, which makes it more open to characters in general.

Tengu_temp
2012-04-17, 03:34 PM
DND 4e is pretty close to Disgaea in its mechanics already, and I suggest it. Just be very generous with refluffing everything.