PDA

View Full Version : Feats, Enhancements, or skills that can use Dex instead of Str for damage?

killem2
2012-04-17, 08:26 AM
I am failing at locating anything, but I was curious is there was a way to treat your dexterity modifier instead of strength for damage bonuses?

darksolitaire
2012-04-17, 08:30 AM
This is great list: Person_Man's X stat to Y bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732&highlight=stat) So good I have it bookmarked :smallbiggrin:

rmg22893
2012-04-17, 08:42 AM
For the investment of two feats, Martial Stance -> Shadow Blade will give you STR and DEX to damage with Shadow Hand weapons.

Answerer
2012-04-17, 08:45 AM
Martial Stance requires knowledge of a maneuver from the discipline, so you need Martial Study, Martial Stance, and Shadow Blade.

They're good feats, but that's expensive. A Swordsage dip (probably at level 5 or level 9) is recommended here).

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-17, 09:00 AM
Martial Stance requires knowledge of a maneuver from the discipline, so you need Martial Study, Martial Stance, and Shadow Blade.

They're good feats, but that's expensive. A Swordsage dip (probably at level 5 or level 9) is recommended here).

Except that you can Chaos Shuffle, retrain, or Psychic Reformation away Martial Study once you have Martial Stance. And you can use the same trick to get Martial Stance when you have the feat free for Marital Study.

killem2
2012-04-17, 09:16 AM
For the investment of two feats, Martial Stance -> Shadow Blade will give you STR and DEX to damage with Shadow Hand weapons.

Is shadow blade a weapon or an enhancement?

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-17, 09:27 AM
Is shadow blade a weapon or an enhancement?

A feat and it only applies to some weapons. ToB page 32.

killem2
2012-04-17, 09:38 AM
A feat and it only applies to some weapons. ToB page 32.

Ouch and I think I just found that list:
The Shadow Hand discipline teaches the arts of stealth, deception, and ambush. Its maneuvers allow a warrior to take on a shadowy aspect or to channel dark energy to sap an enemy’s strength. This discipline’s preferred weapons are the dagger, sai, short sword, spiked chain, siangham, and unarmed strike. Its key skill is Hide.

So, my dreams of gaining dex mods to crescent knives are crushed. :smallsigh:

Lans
2012-04-17, 02:45 PM
What are crescent knives and why are they special?

killem2
2012-04-17, 02:48 PM
What are crescent knives and why are they special?

they are from dragon issue 275, they deal 1d3 damage, but they have a special trait that they attack twice each swing, with the same attack bonuses across the board.

so basically if you had say a str bonus of +3, it would be 1d3+3, twice, if you dual wield it, its 1d3+3 four times, you must roll separate attack rolls for each though.

Since it is a light weapon, I was looking for something that could go along with weapon finesse.

Answerer
2012-04-17, 04:55 PM
Well those are hilarious. I probably wouldn't allow them (if on no other grounds than "I don't want to spend the entire session waiting for you to make all of your rolls"), but they are nifty. Kinda like the (also ridiculous) Manyfanged Daggers.

Anyway, getting Dex-to-damage is stupidly and obnoxiously difficult to do in 3.5; Shadow Blade is really the only efficient way to do it.

But you don't really need Dex-to-damage. Even at high levels it's only +10 or so damage (which, with the number of attacks you get, certainly counts, but it's not as huge as it might be). Look for larger damage bonuses. Sneak Attack + Craven more than doubles what the Dex-to-damage would do. Even without Craven, 10d6 Sneak Attack damage averages to 35 damage per attack, which is huge compared to the 10 or so Dex would give you. Various Tome of Battle boosts may help, too (plus Wolf Fang Strike and Sudden Leap will help you continue to attack as things move around and/or die), and Swordsages have natural access to Sneak Attack so they can take Craven (though a Swordsage can only get 2d6 Sneak Attack damage).

Try to get a Dragonfire Inspiration Bard in the group; that'll add lots of damage to your attacks. If those daggers deal Slashing damage, you can even consider being a Bard; take Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn and now you're talking about Cha instead of Dex.

killem2
2012-04-17, 05:44 PM
Yeah it is a silly weapon by my dm allows it.

So I think what I will do is, roll a Catfolk Rogue, (he allows la +1 races) and start with a 3d6 sneak attack, x4.

As far as the time it takes to roll for damage it isn't bad, I have color coordinated dices that match the d20s so it is very speedy :)

kulosle
2012-04-17, 06:05 PM
Seriously look at the link posted earlier, there is the fierce enhancement that takes dex away from you ac but applies it to your damage, fey craft is a weapon template that is the same as weapon finesse.

gooddragon1
2012-04-17, 06:44 PM
No they're not, apply the aptitude weapon enhancement (also from TOB) on them and you can treat them as whatever weapon you like.

Akal Saris
2012-04-17, 07:31 PM
If I recall, Feycraft can also give Dex to Dmg with light weapons by reducing the die size by one. So the crescent knives would be 1d2+Dex damage. You might even afford a feycraft weapon or two if starting at L3 or 4.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-04-17, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised no one had mentioned the Weapon Finesse feat yet! What class did you have this in mind for?

killem2
2012-04-17, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised no one had mentioned the Weapon Finesse feat yet! What class did you have this in mind for?

That was a given :) I already was going to take that, I was looking more for things that convert dex bonus to straight damage.

gooddragon1
2012-04-18, 12:35 AM
If I recall, Feycraft can also give Dex to Dmg with light weapons by reducing the die size by one. So the crescent knives would be 1d2+Dex damage. You might even afford a feycraft weapon or two if starting at L3 or 4.

Feycraft is a to hit deal not to damage.