PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a DM PC

Zach J.
2012-04-17, 12:00 PM
I have recently ordered the Pathfinder Beginner Box and am excited to start a game and GM for my friends. I have run into a small problem; I have only found two people willing to play. Knowing the players as I do I am expecting a Human Fighter and an Elf Wizard. I was thinking of making an NPC to travel with the party. Normally I do not like using DM PCs, but I think one may be necessary in this case. What would be most useful for these two characters? Another meat shield for the Wizard in the form of a Barbarian? A Rogue to detect and disable traps? A Cleric healbot?

Vladislav
2012-04-17, 12:05 PM
Healbot/buffer Cleric is best. Provides the party with added survivability without stealing the limelight.

NOhara24
2012-04-17, 12:12 PM
Healbot/buffer Cleric is best. Provides the party with added survivability without stealing the limelight.

This. Never should a DMPC have any moment of glory unless explicitly assisted by a PC.

Zach J.
2012-04-17, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I was leaning towards the healbot role, but I will definitely make a Cleric now. If anyone is interested I will post a finished character after I've received the Beginner Box.

Edit: The pre-generated cleric included in the Box should work.

JonRG
2012-04-17, 12:27 PM
Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest) might work even better. The NPC in our group (which I helped build) put a point in all the knowledge skills in case the PCs all flubbed a check. Focus his feats on Channeling (Selective Channel, so as not to heal enemies) or Craft skills. For character, maybe a dour dwarven priest/cleric? :smallbiggrin:

Zach J.
2012-04-17, 09:06 PM
I was thinking of making a LG Dwarf Cleric of Torag. Would it be better to use point-buy for this character or to roll his stats? I am having the players roll their stats because they enjoy it, but I was considering using point buy for all NPCs. If I do not want this NPC to steal the limelight I should make sure he is functional, but not extraordinary in ability. Right?

Edit: What I've done so far.

LG Dwarven Priest of Torag 1

STR 13, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 10

Concentration +7, Craft (Armor) +5

Extra Channel

Domains: Artifice, Protection

JonRG
2012-04-17, 09:19 PM
Well, the Priest class gets 6 + Int skill points per level.

I would kick Con and Str down a bit (14 and 10 respectively) and try to boost Cha somewhat. Charisma affects the number of times a priest can channel per day and the number of enemies he can exclude with Selective Channeling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/selective-channeling---final).

Serpentine
2012-04-17, 09:30 PM
You might like to talk to your players about it, too. Maybe the DMPC could have a connection to one or both of them, particularly one that makes your character... subservient? to them - a servant, an apprentice/squire, a younger relative...