PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that is tired of zombies?

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-17, 12:18 PM
Just asking, that's all. I admit I was never really interested in them (to me they are by far the most boring monster possible) but since they became "the new vampires".... Yawn.

At least they have not started to sparkle yet...

Mewtarthio
2012-04-17, 12:35 PM
I completely agree with you. You can't even take a quick stroll downtown for supplies without getting mobbed by the wretched things. They never leave you alone, either: Say you just want a break from everything, so step into a dark alley for some time to yourself, I guarantee one of the mindless undead is going to leap from the shadows and chew your face off. Never fails.

The worst part is when your closest friends get in on the fad. You can never get away from it then. You know what I'm talking about: You're all living a somewhat cramped but still functional lifestyle, zombies more in the periphery compared to those interpersonal conflicts that spring up in the face of armageddon, but then somebody gets bit and doesn't tell you, and next thing you know the entire freaking bunker is shambling around, hungry for your flesh.

So annoying.

razark
2012-04-17, 12:35 PM
No, you're not the only one. Never really understood the draw behind the whole zombie thing. Or vampires of any sort.

Zombies are quite overdone, much like bacon.

WalkingTarget
2012-04-17, 12:36 PM
Just asking, that's all. I admit I was never really interested in them (to me they are by far the most boring monster possible) but since they became "the new vampires".... Yawn.

They might be "boring" in themselves (no individual personality, so no opportunity for any particular zombie to be an interesting antagonist), but I enjoy the style of stories that develop between the survivors quite a bit (that is, well-done zombie fiction is more about the humans than the monsters).

That being said, yeah, overexposure and media saturation has gotten annoying.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-17, 12:43 PM
They might be "boring" in themselves (no individual personality, so no opportunity for any particular zombie to be an interesting antagonist), but I enjoy the style of stories that develop between the survivors quite a bit (that is, well-done zombie fiction is more about the humans than the monsters).

That being said, yeah, overexposure and media saturation has gotten annoying.

And I find that so very boring. Seeing how survivors and their relationships develops are... done. SO many times. It was interesting back in the 60ies I guess.

@Mewtarthio: LOL :smallbiggrin:

WalkingTarget
2012-04-17, 01:01 PM
And I find that so very boring. Seeing how survivors and their relationships develops are... done. SO many times. It was interesting back in the 60ies I guess.

And that's fine.

Maybe I've just managed to see only the occasional thing here and there that survival horror hasn't gotten totally stale with me. Dunno.

I know that my favorite mood for a horror film/story/game/whatever is dread - the anticipation of the horrible thing that's going to happen rather than actually seeing the horrible thing happen. Alien did it better than just about anything else, in my opinion, but what zombie stuff I've seen generally fits in there too. That might help in my case.

Cespenar
2012-04-17, 01:52 PM
I'm extremely tired of them as well. I'd much prefer my post-apocalyptic settings nuclear instead, but to find mainstream works of it is awfully uncommon, especially when compared to zombies.

My theory is that people actually fear a nuclear apocalypse way more than a zombie apocalypse (because it's more probable) to enjoy it in the detached way that they do with the latter.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-17, 03:33 PM
I'm extremely tired of them as well. I'd much prefer my post-apocalyptic settings nuclear instead, but to find mainstream works of it is awfully uncommon, especially when compared to zombies.

My theory is that people actually fear a nuclear apocalypse way more than a zombie apocalypse (because it's more probable) to enjoy it in the detached way that they do with the latter.

I agree: it might have something to do with the fact that I am exactly the right age to be too young for the original Star Wars release but just the right age to sit through the Mad Max movies on VHS. I so prefer After The End, preferable with a nuclear edge to it.

Zombies are not scary. They can be annoying (in a fantasy RPG setting, where they always are some of the weakest enemies) or downright disgusting and revolting (in modern comics, games and some movies) but never scary. And as I said I just don't enjoy the concept.
I enjoy a "real" pandemic or plague than a zombie one (outbreak etc).

Yuki Akuma
2012-04-17, 03:37 PM
I'm tired of "scientific" zombies. Why can't we have magical voodoo zombies again? :smallfrown:

Omergideon
2012-04-17, 03:43 PM
The thing about zombies that can scare me is the whole infection angle. The "one scratch or bite and you become one" is something that horrifies me. So that is the only real part of the whole zombie mythos I find engaging. It is the only part of the modern "virus zombie" I really like.

But they have been very much overdone in fiction. I think the problem is that there really is just one real zombie story, maybe 2 if you include a conspiracy for it. Everything else is just a windows dressing variation on the Dawn of the dead or Night of the living dead story.

That being said I would very much love to see a resurgence of honest to goodness magically reanimated corpses with necromancers and the like floating around. It may be the rpg fan in me but magically made zombies would be fun to see in a film. Just imagining the scene where the doctor types try to ID the virus or whatnot causing it and get a "theres nothing. It's a corpse" explanation before discovering a world of magic makes me happy.

Comet
2012-04-17, 04:34 PM
I agree with magical zombies being amazing good fun. Especially if they come in small groups or, better yet, operate all on their lonesome. Being hunted by the ruins of what was once a man, armed with the unnatural tenacity to chase you to the ends of the earth without failure, now that's a bit more scary than an angry mob in my opinion.

You might be able to outrun it, hide from it or even heavily wound it. But somewhere down the road, maybe decades from now, it will pull itself together and find you. And you will be unprepared.

BRC
2012-04-17, 05:33 PM
At this point "Zombie Apocalypse" has become a subgenre in of itself, and once it reaches that point you have to start looking past the concept and towards the execution. The story of a group of survivors in the Zombie Apocolypse has been told so many times that, as a concept alone, it's more a description than a selling point (As it may once have been). To stand out, a Zombie Story needs to have some selling point. The Walking Dead comic is a straight Zombie Apocolypse story, but it's so well done that quality alone is it's selling point. Zombieland and Sean of the Dead use Comedy as their selling points, ect.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-17, 07:17 PM
Apparently even the Cinema Snob himself is tired of zombies.

Traab
2012-04-17, 07:31 PM
I want so freaking much to see a movie version of the book Monster Hunter International. Basically, every creepy crawly exists, but they are a big secret. Certain companies however have formed around hunting them down. Ever since the days of Roosevelt there has been a bounty system in place for anyone who kills just about anything considered fantasy. The undead are broken into dozens of categories and types. Everything from night of the living dead style zombies, to master vampires that can take 40 man squads armed with silver bullets in automatic weapons and tear half of them apart before going down. They have werewolves, swamp creatures, yetis, orcs, sea creatures, eldritch abominations, mutant spider creatures, you name it. It isnt an apocalypse movie, its just one where every form of evil creature exists, and they get hunted down by anyone with the guts and skill to go for it.

BRC
2012-04-17, 07:41 PM
I want so freaking much to see a movie version of the book Monster Hunter International. Basically, every creepy crawly exists, but they are a big secret. Certain companies however have formed around hunting them down. Ever since the days of Roosevelt there has been a bounty system in place for anyone who kills just about anything considered fantasy. The undead are broken into dozens of categories and types. Everything from night of the living dead style zombies, to master vampires that can take 40 man squads armed with silver bullets in automatic weapons and tear half of them apart before going down. They have werewolves, swamp creatures, yetis, orcs, sea creatures, eldritch abominations, mutant spider creatures, you name it. It isnt an apocalypse movie, its just one where every form of evil creature exists, and they get hunted down by anyone with the guts and skill to go for it.
For a while now I've had an idea for a series of something (A comic or show would work well) based around Government Monster Hunters.

Basically the idea is that the US government creates a secret team of monster hunters, lets call them Majestic-12. These guys then need to cope with the problems of how to go about this. At what point is something a citizen you need to protect vs a Monster you need to destroy. There is no official guide for defeating Monsters, so they need to figure out methods on there own. Most of the Monster Hunters out there are paranoid nutjobs, and relying on myths and legends can be tricky at best

Traab
2012-04-17, 10:17 PM
For a while now I've had an idea for a series of something (A comic or show would work well) based around Government Monster Hunters.

Basically the idea is that the US government creates a secret team of monster hunters, lets call them Majestic-12. These guys then need to cope with the problems of how to go about this. At what point is something a citizen you need to protect vs a Monster you need to destroy. There is no official guide for defeating Monsters, so they need to figure out methods on there own. Most of the Monster Hunters out there are paranoid nutjobs, and relying on myths and legends can be tricky at best

There is a bit of that in the book I mentioned too. There are good creatures as well as bad. But I think my favorite thing is the fact that its not middle earth, it isnt post z-pocalypse, its 2012, everyone is going about their business, when MHI gets a call that a swarm of chupacabras are eating the goats in a small mexican town and about to start on children. The governments around the world keep the information suppressed and dont let the civvies talk about their supernatural experiences, and these companies go in and clear out whatever is there and make big bucks doing it. Or some jerkass voodoo priest in florida is raising a swarm of zombies that need a bullet to the brain pan before they start to spread.

I also like how they classify basically everything, during an orientation meeting, they do the undead. They start with romero zombies, plus a few other types, then move up to ghouls, and ghasts, then wights, and finally vampires. We learn it aint like they show in movies, you can pump that vamp with a thousand silver rounds of ammo through the torso and head, and you will barely slow it down. You gotta impale the heart then quickly cut its head off before it recovers. Because even a silver stake through the heart just weakens most of them. And god help you if you see a master vampire, they make the flash look like he is frozen in carbonite, damage heals so fast you might as well be shooting the ocean for all the effect it has, and they can literally punch you through a humvee, engine block first. Oh, and trying to decapitate one? Thats like trying to slice through rebar with a bowie knife. I think at one point a master vamp takes a direct hit from a MORTAR SHELL, and is blown in half, only to start healing even as his body is falling back to the ground.

Weezer
2012-04-17, 10:21 PM

Eh, I think the monster hunter thing has been done to death too. Starting with Buffy and including shows like Supernatural and Grimm, there really isn't much more to do with it. Adding in the element of the government doesn't seem like it'd do too much to differentiate it, especially with your last bit (the whole thing where the hunters need to figure out what to do largely on their own, or what help they have is largely ineffectual) has been a part of all the major shows of this type.

BRC
2012-04-17, 11:41 PM
Eh, I think the monster hunter thing has been done to death too. Starting with Buffy and including shows like Supernatural and Grimm, there really isn't much more to do with it. Adding in the element of the government doesn't seem like it'd do too much to differentiate it, especially with your last bit (the whole thing where the hunters need to figure out what to do largely on their own, or what help they have is largely ineffectual) has been a part of all the major shows of this type.
I had ideas for how to differentiate it from your standard "Guys Fight Monsters" Show, but I can't think of a good way to describe them right now and it's off-topic anyway.

Lord Seth
2012-04-18, 12:51 AM
Just asking, that's all. I admit I was never really interested in them (to me they are by far the most boring monster possible) but since they became "the new vampires".... Yawn.Are they really "the new vampires" or overdone at all? Other than The Walking Dead, I can't really think of any particularly popular zombie fiction in recent memory, whereas I can think of a lot for vampires.

Selrahc
2012-04-18, 01:18 AM

They might not sparkle, but they can certainly glow.
http://www.thezombiezodiac.com/gfx/Other/RADIOACTIVE-ZOMBIE.png

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-18, 01:30 AM
Are they really "the new vampires" or overdone at all? Other than The Walking Dead, I can't really think of any particularly popular zombie fiction in recent memory, whereas I can think of a lot for vampires.

Well it's a long process...
NOT in Chronological order, and not listing the obvious low budget stuff:

Marvel Zombies (comic series)
The Walking Dead (TV show)
Zombies vs Cheerleaders (comic series)
The Resident Evil franchise (games and movies, some upcoming)
World War Z (book and upcoming movie)
Warm Bodies (book and upcoming movie, although this one seems mildly creative)
The Zombie King (upcoming movie)
The First Platoon (upcoming movie)
Night of the Living Dead: Origins (upcoming movie)
The rest of the Living Dead franchise (movies)
Crossed (comic series; yes I know, technically not zombies. They just act like zombies. So, zombies)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (book and upcoming movie)
Dead Air (movie, and I know again, "not zombies, just acting like zombies")
Left for Dead franchise (games)
Dead Island (game)
28 days later (movie)
28 weeks later (movie)

And these are just the ones on top of my head.

random11
2012-04-18, 02:23 AM
Well it's a long process...
NOT in Chronological order, and not listing the obvious low budget stuff:

Marvel Zombies (comic series)
The Walking Dead (TV show)
Zombies vs Cheerleaders (comic series)
The Resident Evil franchise (games and movies, some upcoming)
World War Z (book and upcoming movie)
Warm Bodies (book and upcoming movie, although this one seems mildly creative)
The Zombie King (upcoming movie)
The First Platoon (upcoming movie)
Night of the Living Dead: Origins (upcoming movie)
The rest of the Living Dead franchise (movies)
Crossed (comic series; yes I know, technically not zombies. They just act like zombies. So, zombies)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (book and upcoming movie)
Dead Air (movie, and I know again, "not zombies, just acting like zombies")
Left for Dead franchise (games)
Dead Island (game)
28 days later (movie)
28 weeks later (movie)

And these are just the ones on top of my head.

Not to mention every second game for the iphone/ipad is about cute looking zombies.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-18, 02:39 AM
Not to mention every second game for the iphone/ipad is about cute looking zombies.

Well Plants vs zombies is fun.

Oh and how could I forget
Grindhouse (Movie)
Zombieland (Movie)

Grinner
2012-04-18, 02:44 AM
Agreed. Zombies have gone the way of the vampire, and I'm afraid fairy tales are about to do so as well.

On the subject of magical zombies, I did see one particularly good zombie movie recently. Look up Dead and Breakfast sometime.

Bastian Weaver
2012-04-18, 02:59 AM
Hack/Slash comic series had some zombie-like slashers, too, I think. And the origins are more complex and interesting than some "zombie virus". And the art is good. And the story is better.
And I love Chippy the Chipmunk.
That is all.

random11
2012-04-18, 04:08 AM

Grindhouse (Movie)
Zombieland (Movie)

No doubt some are good, but it's the quantity, and as a result - the average quality that is the problem.

which brings me to the original topic's question.
Once a good book/movie/series comes out on a certain topic, it's only a matter of time before there is a flood of other items with the same topic, using the wave of success to make some profit.

Same thing happened with fantasy in general long ago. the market was flooded with fantasy books, and finding a talented author was hard if you pick randomly.

random11
2012-04-18, 04:28 AM

Grindhouse (Movie)
Zombieland (Movie)

No doubt some are good, but it's the quantity, and as a result - the average quality that is the problem.

which brings me to the original topic's question.
Once a good book/movie/series comes out on a certain topic, it's only a matter of time before there is a flood of other items with the same topic, using the wave of success to make some profit.

Same thing happened with fantasy in general long ago. the market was flooded with fantasy books, and finding a talented author was hard if you pick randomly.

Omergideon
2012-04-18, 04:30 AM
I think of all the "monster movie" cliches I am tired of, the biggest is the guys in such shows or films who spout stuff like "these ain't like the ones you see in the movies/read about etc". I mean it seems to show up in a hell of a lot of Vampire movies nowadays as people try to make them different. Now the idea of variations on vamps or other gribblies is nothing new and I am not against that. It's the tedious scene where the rookie guy is mocked for having believed movies/lore/old books and the characters act like this is great comedy. Tedious.

The big consipracy cover-up from govts annoys me too, if only because in a number of these shows it makes no sense. Either the supernatural is common enough that the idea of it being covered up seems silly, or the threat is so big you wonder why they don't get a more mahoosive defence budget allocation, recruitment drives and more. IF there is one thing about True Blood I approve of it is how the monsters are open about their existence and the effect it has on people.

Yora
2012-04-18, 04:32 AM
Zombies are not monsters, they are a hostile environment. You never have to fight one or two zombies, they appear in swarms.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-18, 04:52 AM
Zombies are not monsters, they are a hostile environment. You never have to fight one or two zombies, they appear in swarms.

Agreed; with the exception of two types: The D&D zombies, and the actual Voodoo zombies (like in On Stranger Tides). But yes; I find them uninteresting and the scenario as such can be equally or better portrayed involving an actual virus or bacteria, or an alien bug invasion.

Yora
2012-04-18, 04:57 AM
With vampires and zombies done to death (tehehe...), I guess it's time to get the good old werewolves out again.

Talya
2012-04-18, 05:12 AM
I'm tired of "scientific" zombies. Why can't we have magical voodoo zombies again? :smallfrown:

Arrr, yes. Magical voodoo PIRATE zombies, no less.

Starwulf
2012-04-18, 05:19 AM

NEVER!!! I love me some zombies. Massive zombie aficionado here, even of the lousy movies. Thus far I have only ever watched one zombie movie that I considered a waste of my time, and that was some french one called "The Horde"(which was surprisingly reviewed fairly well, but I personally couldn't stand it). That's out of like 75-100 zombie movies I've watched in my lifetime. I just wish there was more zombie literature :-(

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 05:29 AM
Even if Zombies pass on as the end all land be all fad they have been, I think they form a special place in monster pop culture phenomena. With many classic monsters, it is one, big monster you have to worry about. Dracula, Werewolves, Frankenstein's creation, even the Xenomorph are generally a single threat. If there is more, it is as a sting, a twist.
While zombies are one of the few to come in hoards by default.

random11
2012-04-18, 05:50 AM

Hey, I work as a programmer, some of my best friends are scientific zombies!

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 05:58 AM
I used to prefer the 'scientific' zombies, but as I grew to understand biology better I realized they are basically impossible, so as fun as it is to speculate on how one could create a zombie like creature, any 'scientific' explanation is going to break down into technobabble at some point, if only for reasons of thermodynamics.
Having it be a big, fat, unknown has become my preferred method for narrative purposes.

Grinner
2012-04-18, 06:16 AM
...any 'scientific' explanation is going to break down into technobabble at some point, if only for reasons of thermodynamics.

How so? .........

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 06:35 AM
How so? .........
Well one reason is because living bodies convert the chemical energy of food into a form they can use, which is distributed by the blood through the circulatory system. But zombies are frequently shown with their guts all in tatters, their hearts stopped, the infrastructure of digestion and circulation is kaput. In short, they are dead, but they still move, despite the things that deliver the energy that allows the body to move is non-functioning.

Grinner
2012-04-18, 06:48 AM
Well one reason is because living bodies convert the chemical energy of food into a form they can use, which is distributed by the blood through the circulatory system. But zombies are frequently shown with their guts all in tatters, their hearts stopped, the infrastructure of digestion and circulation is kaput. In short, they are dead, but they still move, despite the things that deliver the energy that allows the body to move is non-functioning.

Gotcha.

I like Max Brook's solution to that problem: they don't actually consume food for nutritive benefit. Instead, they break down muscle mass to restore energy potential.

That still removes the mystique, however. :smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 07:00 AM
Gotcha.

I like Max Brook's solution to that problem: they don't actually consume food for nutritive benefit. Instead, they break down muscle mass to restore energy potential.

That still removes the mystique, however. :smallsigh:
That is only a short term solution. Soon you just run out of muscle mass to break down. Which means the best defence against a zombie apocalypse is to just wait it out.

HandofShadows
2012-04-18, 07:10 AM
That is only a short term solution. Soon you just run out of muscle mass to break down. Which means the best defence against a zombie apocalypse is to just wait it out.

I can recall a comic where that is what they do. The main characters escape into the countryside and let the zombies rot in the cities.

With some zombies this may not work though. Whatever turns the dead into zombies greatly retards decay in some fashion (don't ask me how). So zombies can last years and even decades particularly if they don't move (and burn energy).

Yora
2012-04-18, 07:34 AM
Even if Zombies pass on as the end all land be all fad they have been, I think they form a special place in monster pop culture phenomena. With many classic monsters, it is one, big monster you have to worry about. Dracula, Werewolves, Frankenstein's creation, even the Xenomorph are generally a single threat. If there is more, it is as a sting, a twist.
Zombies have found their niche as the urban swarm monster. The undead part has become mostly irrelevant by now and is even ignored entirely by some creators. The shock of the dead rising as monsters only works so often before people become immune to it, which was probably 20 or so years ago.
But most monsters fall into two categories: The Serial Killer, like vampires, werwolves, Frankensteins Monster, and so on, and the Natural Disaster, like Godzilla, Cthulhu, and Jörmungandr. The first type is usually only strong in ambush but not so difficult to defeat once it's uncovered and an organized hunt is started. The second type simply can't be fought, it just kills you.
Zombies are a kind of hybrid of the two, which is very rare if not even unique. You have the large scale disaster that annihilates everything, but since the zombie horde consists of individual weak monsters, you can still fight them. And because they are mostly slow and stupid, it does not take special powers to resist them. Zombies can be outsmarted and there's also an infinity supply of them, so you can try out all kinds of tricks and solutions. Everyone can fight zombies and survive, if you're at least somewhat smart. Has ever a single character in a zombie movie died because of an accident and not because he did something that was so stupid that everyone knew he would be killed from milles away?
The Serial Killer monster is a classic murder mystery. What is the monster, what's its motive, how do you catch it? The Walking Disaster monster is just a natural disaster that sets the setting for a story, but does not interact with the characters. But the Zombie Horde is the monster that requires the characters to be smart, plan ahead, be creative, and generally proactive. In the zombie story, the zombies have already swarmed everything and pretty much achieved their only goal, and there's nothing that can be done to stop or reverse it, as it's the case with the Serial Killer and Walking Disaster monsters. Instead it's the characters that define the goal and want to achieve something, which usually is staying alive and getting to safety.
Zombies make entirely different stories then any other monsters.

Grinner
2012-04-18, 07:44 AM

And that is precisely what his book recommends. :smallsmile:

Also, it would be a bit harder than it would seem.

Edit:
I can recall a comic where that is what they do. The main characters escape into the countryside and let the zombies rot in the cities.

With some zombies this may not work though. Whatever turns the dead into zombies greatly retards decay in some fashion (don't ask me how). So zombies can last years and even decades particularly if they don't move (and burn energy).

Pretty much this.

AshesOfOld
2012-04-18, 08:05 AM
No, you're not the only one. Never really understood the draw behind the whole zombie thing. Or vampires of any sort.

Zombies are quite overdone, much like bacon.

Can't follow you that all there, friend. Zombies, good. Vampires good. Bacon - gooood!

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-18, 08:16 AM
Can't follow you that all there, friend. Zombies, good. Vampires good. Bacon - gooood!

(Fixed :smallsmile:)

Seriously though; vampires and wizards at least have the ability to A) Act, since they are, you know, smart, and B) tend to be... sexy. Yes I am superficial like that.

Talya
2012-04-18, 11:16 AM

...Beer Bad!

Traab
2012-04-18, 11:51 AM
With vampires and zombies done to death (tehehe...), I guess it's time to get the good old werewolves out again.

I dunno, can they recover from the damage done to them by twilight and michael j fox? I wouldnt mind more mummy type movies, and aside from the brendan frasier movies there arent a lot of them made recently. Only problem is the limited way they can be done. I mean, zombies and vamps can show up anywhere, at any time, and for a wide variety of reasons. Mummies have a lot more restrictions i think.

I also think that the acromantulas from harry potter would make for an awesome remake of arachnaphobia.

Yora
2012-04-18, 12:48 PM
What about fish people? Why not give a try making those cool?

Oh wait, Pirates of the Caribbean was too recent, they still need ten more years of recovery.
What really should enter the greater monster mainstream are aboleths from D&D. Giant fish that mess with your mind and eat brains, with the added bonus of turning their victims into fish people. They are awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2012-04-18, 01:46 PM
You know what they should make movies about? Liches.

Because that would be far, FAAAAR better.

Wraiths as maybe a distant second.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-18, 02:21 PM
And that is precisely what his book recommends. :smallsmile:

Also, it would be a bit harder than it would seem.

Of course it is, otherwise you don't have a story.

Grinner
2012-04-18, 02:28 PM
Of course it is, otherwise you don't have a story.

Well, like HandofShadows said, areas with a high population density would become deathtraps.

The book itself is a little ridiculous, but it's also a magnificent example of logical extrapolation.

What really should enter the greater monster mainstream are aboleths from D&D. Giant fish that mess with your mind and eat brains, with the added bonus of turning their victims into fish people. They are awesome. :smallbiggrin:

I think I've seen a movie like that before... :smallsigh:

Lord Seth
2012-04-18, 06:26 PM
With vampires and zombies done to death (tehehe...), I guess it's time to get the good old werewolves out again.I don't know, aren't werewolves already being used a fair amount? There's quite a number of series with them, even if most series with werewolves also have vampires.
I dunno, can they recover from the damage done to them by twilight and michael j fox?I have no idea what damage Michael J. Fox did to werewolves...if you're referring to Teen Wolf, I would think the writer and/or director would be to blame for any "damage" done. Though I'm honestly not sure what "damage" was done to werewolves due to Twilight, as the only complaint I've seen is the whole "they can change when it's not a full moon!" which manages to be even dumber than the "vampires don't sparkle" complaint.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-04-18, 07:01 PM
I dunno, can they recover from the damage done to them by twilight and michael j fox? I wouldnt mind more mummy type movies, and aside from the brendan frasier movies there arent a lot of them made recently. Only problem is the limited way they can be done. I mean, zombies and vamps can show up anywhere, at any time, and for a wide variety of reasons. Mummies have a lot more restrictions i think.

I also think that the acromantulas from harry potter would make for an awesome remake of arachnaphobia.

Well there are a lot of Meoamerican cultures that mummified people, and other than a footnote at the end of the last Mummy movie and some hilarously bad mexican movies*, I don't recall anything on the media using them.

*Seriously there is a Movie where a Wrestler fight mummies!!!

SaintRidley
2012-04-18, 08:05 PM

Grindhouse (Movie)
Zombieland (Movie)

Chiming in to add:

Zombie Strippers (film)
Quarantine and Quarantine 2 (films)

Honorable mentions to:

[REC], [REC2], and [REC3]: Genesis which all use a zombie chassis to deliver what turns out to be demonic possession. Zombies as a result of demons. And they're superbly done films, too.

Traab
2012-04-18, 11:30 PM
I don't know, aren't werewolves already being used a fair amount? There's quite a number of series with them, even if most series with werewolves also have vampires.I have no idea what damage Michael J. Fox did to werewolves...if you're referring to Teen Wolf, I would think the writer and/or director would be to blame for any "damage" done. Though I'm honestly not sure what "damage" was done to werewolves due to Twilight, as the only complaint I've seen is the whole "they can change when it's not a full moon!" which manages to be even dumber than the "vampires don't sparkle" complaint.

Heh, yep, I meant teen wolf, and werewolves were negatively affected by twilight through association. Now whenever I think werewolf I think sparkly undead or slam dunking car roof riders. Everything is ruined forever!

Xondoure
2012-04-18, 11:58 PM

BRAINS GOOD!

Feytalist
2012-04-19, 05:00 AM
On the subject, one zombie-centric series I rather enjoyed was Xombie, a flash cartoon series that was made a few years back. Kind of darker feel than most zombie movies, and an interesting premise: the main (or supporting) protaganist was a zombie himself (with retained higher brain function, of course). Pretty cool.

OoTLink
2012-04-19, 05:12 AM
Less zombies, more space travel.

spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 05:56 AM
Less zombies, more space travel.

spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace :smallbiggrin:
This I can agree with.
And I don't mean Star Trek space travel. I mean space travel where every launch is ride to heaven on thunder and flame, clawing our way past air and gravity to the great beyond.

Traab
2012-04-19, 06:11 AM
BRAINS GOOD!

LIVER! (http://wtfcomics.com/archive.html?397_156) Sorry, seemed relevant.

Weezer
2012-04-19, 02:15 PM
This I can agree with.
And I don't mean Star Trek space travel. I mean space travel where every launch is ride to heaven on thunder and flame, clawing our way past air and gravity to the great beyond.

Relevant quote from Heinlein:

"Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far drives the thundering jet,
Up leaps a race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet ---

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the friendly skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth."

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 02:51 PM
*small tear*
Thanks, Weezer. If there is anything space travel has taught me, it is what a jewel of creation Earth is.
Look at her (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg), hanging like a sapphire set in infinity, a fragile, delicate things, so small, but full of so many cares.
Earth.
Our mother, our home.
There will be other worlds, other homes, but none that can compare to her.

Weezer
2012-04-19, 05:26 PM
*small tear*
Thanks, Weezer. If there is anything space travel has taught me, it is what a jewel of creation Earth is.
Look at her (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg), hanging like a sapphire set in infinity, a fragile, delicate things, so small, but full of so many cares.
Earth.
Our mother, our home.
There will be other worlds, other homes, but none that can compare to her.

I just hope we get to a point as a species in my lifetime where there are enough people living in space that nostalgia for Earth becomes common.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 09:53 PM
I just hope we get to a point as a species in my lifetime where there are enough people living in space that nostalgia for Earth becomes common.
You are not the only one.:smallsmile: