PDA

View Full Version : Clockwork Armor

Lovable Wizard
2012-04-17, 07:51 PM
In the campaign that i am currently playing in, my DM is using a special armor called Clockwork Armor. Me and him where working on figuring a correct price for it, if i wanted to buy it. Now, it gives a +2 circumstance bonus to strength and dex, has a armor bonus of +6, a max dex bonus of 2, and armor check penalty of -8, and a 5ft unnamed bonus to base land speed, for heavy armor. What would you price this item at? (Its an edited version of the Eberron clockwork armor from the clockwork wonders article)

Hylas
2012-04-17, 08:10 PM
I don't have prices of things in front of me, but this is how I would figure it out:

What I would do is find the price of (masterwork) armor that gives +6 AC, +2 max Dex, and -8 ACP, or whatever is closest, or just use the price of full plate. Then I would find the price of a magic item that gives +2 to STR and DEX. Same for +5 to base land speed. Off the top of my head I would say 10,000 GP.

Less if it requires coal/water/winding up/fuel. Like if it requires 100GP/day to power it then I would probably drop off at least 1000 from the price, to a minimum of 5000 GP.

If this requires exotic armor proficiency then I would upgrade the stats a little because right now the only thing it has over full plate is +2 STR, since the max DEX bonus doesn't do that much, and is mostly negated by ACP for skill usage. Like +8 to +10 AC, maybe some DR thrown on.

Doughnut Master
2012-04-17, 09:08 PM
Something a little cheaper than this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a ?

Anxe
2012-04-17, 09:46 PM
I would say 15,000 just by eyeballing.

Using the magic item creation rules...
+2 to an ability costs 4000 GP. 8000GP there. Possibly even higher because these can stack with other stat enhancers. Let's say... 12000GP.
+5 to speed. I'm using the Boots of Striding and Springing as a base here. They give a +5 to Jump and a +10 to speed. +5 to jump = 2500GP. According to the rules a magic item with two separate abilities must have the highest cost ability doubled. The 2500GP; therefore, must be doubled. That leaves us with 500 left for the +10 to speed. I'll assume that the speed enhancement follow similar rules for other items (square the bonus and multiply by a number). +10 to speed is effectively a +2 square bonus. Therefore speed enhancements are worth:
((Bonus in feet/5)^2)*125
Our +5 speed bonus is only 125GP. Considering that it can also stack with enhancement bonuses, let's kick it up to 150GP.
The armor is a bad version of any heavy armor. I'd say about 400-500GP for it without the extra bonuses.

The final thing is that the highest cost of the "magic" abilities is supposed to be doubled. Final Cost:
6000GP X 2
6000GP
150GP
500GP

= 18650GP

Without my assumptions that circumstance bonuses are worth more:
12625GP