PDA

View Full Version : Using a Polearm

Zovc
2012-04-18, 01:12 AM
I want to make a character who uses a polearm. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Is there a class best suited to using a polearm?

I'm visualizing a character who uses their polearm to control the battlefield, but it looks like I can't make opportunity attacks against characters who aren't adjacent to me. So, a polearm might not actually be any better at that than other weapons, but I still feel like it's the coolest option.

Knight-y character with a glaive/halberd/longspear: viable?

Edit: I'm making a level 1 character, so I guess it just doesn't make that big of a difference what I use...?

tcrudisi
2012-04-18, 01:32 AM
There are reasons why you should play a polearm: Polearm Gamble (PHB1).

Polearm Momentum (MP) is also a great feat (warning: steep entry requirements), especially when combined with Polearm Gamble.

Unfortunately, Polearm Gamble is a paragon-tier feat. If you expect your game to make it up to level 11+ then a polearm is a terrific weapon.

Warlords make excellent use of reach weapons.

Reasons why you shouldn't? Ehh -- basically, they do less damage than other 2h weapons. (Greatspear is +3/1d10 reach vs. Fullblade +3/1d12 high crit.) Or they prevent you from using a heavy shield, reducing your AC and Ref by 2 (bastard sword is +3/1d10 and 1-hand).

So it really depends on what you are going for.

In a game I'm currently playing, the DM loves to draw small maps. Luckily, I'm a staff wielder, so I have reach. This is a godsend in a party of 4 other melee characters (one of which has 2 pets + 3 summons + a familiar). Spacing is at a premium, so my ability to hang back an extra square really helps us out strategically. In a case like this, a polearm would be a fantastic weapon for pretty much everyone else, too.

If you are dead-set on using one, a Fighter does it best. Have a high Dexterity. (edited to note: several other classes do it very well. I'm just too lazy to go through my character builder to remember which ones they are.)

Kurald Galain
2012-04-18, 05:54 AM
If you are dead-set on using one, a Fighter does it best.

This.

An elf fighter can pull off Polearm Momentum at level one. Having reach gives you a lot more options regarding what to hit, especially if you get slowed or immobilized.

WickerNipple
2012-04-18, 08:53 AM
Battleminds can make particularly nasty uses of them too.

The New Bruceski
2012-04-18, 02:18 PM
Wardens can be interesting as well at Paragon though you give up the shield. Their marking is only all adjacent once per turn (I can't recall, can free actions be used in the middle of a move?) but their punishment power is melee range so they can smack guys and grant CA instead of pulling and slowing them. They also get guardian forms that improve reach, and a Paragon path gives a form for threatening reach (so one encounter per day).

The Goliath Paragon path also gives reach, and gives threatening reach one turn per encounter.

That's at Paragon though.