PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Opinions On a Ruling of Cool

ScubaGoomba
2012-04-18, 01:38 AM
Alright, definitely shooting for "Rule of Cool" with this more than anything else.

I'm about to introduce a new military threat in my campaign, as the players have ventured into a new part of the world. It's NOT AT ALL LOOSELY BASED ON THE STAR WARS EMPIRE REALLY, I PROMISE and their main forces will be mounted, aerial cavalry (the region is mostly desert and generally impassable except by ship or sky). I've narrowed the mount of choice down to either giant wasps or giant dragonflies. If you were playing in a game, which one of those would make you stop what you were doing and think both "Oh man, that's AWESOME" and "Oh man, we're screwed?" If neither of those, any other suggestions? I think I want to keep the mounts as vermin (maybe using lesser vermin for grunts, like Giant Flies for shock troops with the dragonflies/wasps going to the generals and the like), but wouldn't be opposed to dragon-esque creatures (nothing too draconic, though, as I've been holding off on introducing any dragons so the first one they meet is just INTENSE).

We're playing in Pathfinder, APL is around 5.5/6 right now. I imagine this arc of the campaign will be taking them up from where they are to about level 9 or 10 at least, in case that effects decisions.

TroubleBrewing
2012-04-18, 01:51 AM
Howler Wasp. MMIV.

They're terrifying.

ILM
2012-04-18, 02:29 AM
Wasp. Clearly, wasp. Dragonflies are for rebels (I mean, X-Wings already vaguely look like backwards dragonflies).

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 02:47 AM
Definitely wasps. That way you can also have Giant Wasp Entomanothropes, and use those amulets to summon them.

Zaq
2012-04-18, 02:48 AM
Howler Wasp. MMIV.

They're terrifying.

Oh god, this.

ScubaGoomba
2012-04-18, 05:09 AM
How easily does the Howler Wasp convert over to Pathfinder?

Suddo
2012-04-18, 05:24 AM
Dragonfly. Because Dragonflies can fly backwards Wasps can't. Though this may not be RAW.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-18, 12:57 PM
Howler Wasp. MMIV.

They're terrifying.

THIS.

Those things are... *shudder*.

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 01:03 PM
Wasps have good flight maneuverability, and as such are capable of flying backwards and hovering.

Solaris
2012-04-18, 01:06 PM
Wasp. Clearly, wasp. Dragonflies are for rebels (I mean, X-Wings already vaguely look like backwards dragonflies).

What he said.

I wouldn't rule out griffins, either. The myths about them came from desert regions and everything. As an added bonus, 'cause griffins aren't ugly monsters, you don't fall into the stereotypical Evil Legion of Doom.