PDA

View Full Version : A little advise on my saintly succubus

Xenovore
2012-04-18, 05:16 AM
Alright, so to give a little background:
I play D&D with a party of 5 people:
1) The GM, who also plays an evil mage in our party. He's a full powergamer but manages to keep his character in the shadows so we're fine with it.
2) A human druid (melee type). Nothing special here.
3) An Asperi-fighter with shrink collar and armor spike as horn on his head (My little pony fan I guess :smallcool:)
4) An evil mineral warrior, lol'th touched feral thri-kreen warrior. This char is just horrible but the GM approved...
5) My old char: a L8 elan psion. I ended this one since it was too powerful for my taste. Together with his L7 cohort elan psion (had the feat for +1 cohort level)

I ended up doing 70-80% of all damage on encounters which honestly made it quite boring for me. I prefer to have a challenge over doing most damage. So when we finished our campaign and the GM announced a new one I decided to reroll a healer. I admit, I have never ever in my D&D career played a healer before but I had a fun little idea.

My idea is to create a saintly succubus cleric. The saint template is +2 Level Adjustment, the succubus can be played as monster class level 1 (Savage Species) and add 5 cleric levels makes level 8. I'd like the char to be lured by anything and everything beautiful and good (Nympf's, Glastigs', Celestials, etc.). This combination provides: Str+0 / Dex +2 / Con+2 / Int +0 / Wis +2 / Cha +10). The saint template cannot be applied to evil outsiders. To work around this I gave the succubus the Naturalized Denizen (or something like that) feat from the planar handbook. This removes the outsider subtype after which she qualifies for the saint template... or would she?

The high charisma bonus should give a nice amount of turn attempts to enhance healing through the divine feats. An extra +2 on wisdom doesn't hurt either. My question is: Would this be possible or is a succubus saint not done?

I'd really like some advice on the matter if this is rule-correct or if there is a more rule-correct way to achieve something "like" this.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Alleran
2012-04-18, 05:24 AM
My question is: Would this be possible or is a succubus saint not done?
Look up Falls-From-Grace sometime. I think a saintly succubus cleric could indeed be done.

Keneth
2012-04-18, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't exactly call Fall-From-Grace "saintly" but she is certainly a succubus cleric and a neutral one at that, so it is possible. Do note that even if you chance the alignment of the outsider, they still retain the (evil) subtype, so the saint template may or may not be applicable (I haven't read the description). Naturalized denizen only removes the extraplanar subtype as far as I know, so you remain an outsider with the (evil) subtype.

ILM
2012-04-18, 07:36 AM
The high charisma bonus should give a nice amount of turn attempts to enhance healing through the divine feats. An extra +2 on wisdom doesn't hurt either. My question is: Would this be possible or is a succubus saint not done?

I'd really like some advice on the matter if this is rule-correct or if there is a more rule-correct way to achieve something "like" this.

Anyway, thanks for your input!
I guess LA+2 the Sanctified Creature template from BoED, coupled with the Naturalized Denizen feat would work well flavor-wise, but to be honest the template kind of sucks compared to Saint.

Lostbutseeking
2012-04-18, 08:01 AM
I guess LA+2 the Sanctified Creature template from BoED, coupled with the Naturalized Denizen feat would work well flavor-wise, but to be honest the template kind of sucks compared to Saint.

The sanctified template is the result of the sanctify the wicked spell, given that what I would try to do is talk to your DM about having it written into the backstory and have your rebirth set you back to level 1 with your subtype changed and evil abilities removed but without any level adjustmen.

Greymane
2012-04-18, 08:17 AM
Fall-From-Grace and Eludecia are examples of non-evil aligned succubi, so it's not unheard of at all. That said...

The Saint Template cannot be applied for two reasons:

1: You need to have never committed an evil act. Not even then. Unless she just came out of the soul pen good aligned, I don't see that happening with a Demon.

and

2: "'Saint' is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature of good alignment that is not an outsider or an elemental..."

Emphasis mine. Already being an Outsider, a succubus can't qualify.

Telonius
2012-04-18, 08:22 AM
Neither Sanctified Creature nor Naturalized Denizen (Unearthed Arcana version - not sure if it's the same as the one in Planar Handbook) gets rid of the Outsider Type. The "Sanctified Creature" template specifically excludes evil outsiders. Your subtype remains [Evil] even if your alignment is good (see Eludecia (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a)).

You'd need to change your type first in order to make this work RAW. That's a lot harder to pull off if you're already an Outsider; most ways of changing type are methods of turning into an Outsider.

Unfortunately I think this is going to be an "Ask your DM" situation. Personally I'd allow it with a good enough backstory.

Xenovore
2012-04-18, 08:37 AM
Telonius hit the nail there. I read over the outsider part assuming extraplanar to be the thing that defined the succubus as an outsider. I was completely wrong there. Outsider apparently means someone composed off material from another plane (or substance / essence).

I really enjoy this character but seeing the rule-break I may consider another race as base race for this character or another template. Thanks for the feedback so far and idea's are much welcomed :)

Garwain
2012-04-18, 09:12 AM
Your character reminds me of Eludecia, the succubus paladin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a).

Telonius
2012-04-18, 09:12 AM
The concept could work with a Lesser Tiefling (PGtF, basically just cross out "Outsider" and write in "Humanoid" wherever you find it). Succubus ancestry would be thematic but also make the Saint build mechanically possible.

Solaris
2012-04-18, 01:12 PM
The concept could work with a Lesser Tiefling (PGtF, basically just cross out "Outsider" and write in "Humanoid" wherever you find it). Succubus ancestry would be thematic but also make the Saint build mechanically possible.

I was going to suggest this. Heck, you could even fluff it that she was a succubus - and that's what happened when that fiend 'fell'. Being that demons are partially incarnated Chaos, who's to say that it's impossible?

Xenovore
2012-04-19, 02:47 AM
Actually... I think I've worked it out...

I noticed the half-fey can be added to any living corporeal creature and changes the type of the creature to "Fey". Adding this to the succubus would change her type from outsider to Fey I assume. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the subtypes stay or go since the half-fey template only says the "type" changes to Fey.

In short my character would be a:
Saintly Half-fey succubus with 3 cleric levels.

Now all that I would need (if this option is valid) is a few cool feats to boost her healing a little. I'm thinking that since she has a charisma of 32 and a lot of turn attempts I could look at divine feats that use turn attempts to improve healing a little. One that caught my eyes was this one:

Sacred Healing
( Complete Divine, p. 84)

[Divine]
You can channel positive energy to grant nearby living creatures the ability to recover from their wounds quickly.
Prerequisite

Heal 8 ranks, ability to turn undead,

Benefit
You can spend a turn attempt as a full-round action to grant fast healing 3 to all living creatures within a 60-ft. burst. The fast healing lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1 round).

The only thing negative about it is that it provides fast healing to ALL living creatures... I assume that's friend and foe. I'm open to suggestions on feats here since there are just so darn many. :)

So far many thanks for the rule clarifications. As said, I prefer my char to be as rule-correct as possible. Also I did find the succubus paladin Eludecia, her char inspired me to go on with this idea.

As for background I think I could pull her off as the offspring between a Incubus and a Fey abandoned by both and raised in some strict religious monastery or alike.

Solaris
2012-04-19, 07:36 AM
Check out what Savage Species has to say about type stacking. The Type Pyramid, p 142. Once something becomes an Outsider, it can't change into something lower on the pyramid through template.

docnessuno
2012-04-19, 02:08 PM
Also remember that if you are using a racial class you HAVE to complete it before taking any level in any other class (See: "Monster classes and multiclassing" - Savage species pg. 27

Myou
2012-04-19, 04:15 PM
I suggest that you ask your DM to let you skip the requirements and just go with Succubus 1/Saint/Cleric, rather than blowing feats and taking extra templates - it's hardly going to be overpowered.

The Random NPC
2012-04-19, 05:52 PM
Now all that I would need (if this option is valid) is a few cool feats to boost her healing a little. I'm thinking that since she has a charisma of 32 and a lot of turn attempts I could look at divine feats that use turn attempts to improve healing a little. One that caught my eyes was this one:

Sacred Healing
( Complete Divine, p. 84)

[Divine]
You can channel positive energy to grant nearby living creatures the ability to recover from their wounds quickly.
Prerequisite

Heal 8 ranks, ability to turn undead,

Benefit
You can spend a turn attempt as a full-round action to grant fast healing 3 to all living creatures within a 60-ft. burst. The fast healing lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1 round).

The only thing negative about it is that it provides fast healing to ALL living creatures... I assume that's friend and foe. I'm open to suggestions on feats here since there are just so darn many. :)

So far many thanks for the rule clarifications. As said, I prefer my char to be as rule-correct as possible. Also I did find the succubus paladin Eludecia, her char inspired me to go on with this idea.

As for background I think I could pull her off as the offspring between a Incubus and a Fey abandoned by both and raised in some strict religious monastery or alike.

I don't have much advise on the succubus part, but a few feats I like that use turn attempts are Complete Warrior's Divine Might, needs Power Attack, and as a free action, adds Cha mod to weapon damage, PHBII's Divine Ward, 10 min/target + 1 turn attempt after the first, and now you can spend a turn attempt to turn touch spells to short range, and PHBII's Sacred Purification, needs Sacred Healing and heals all living creatures in 60ft for 1d8+Cha as a swift action, same damage for undead.
Edit: Complete Warrior and PHBII both have some more divine feats, but I don't partically like them.

Xenovore
2012-04-20, 04:46 AM
Hmm.. the succubus sait seems indeed impossible with the type-stacking pyramid and the point that I have to finish the entire succubus monsterclass before picking up levels from other classes.

I reckon I could add an inherited template to a L1 succubus since it doesn't count as a class. I'll discuss this a bit with my GM seeing that it combi isn't overly overpowered.

The feats given definately suffice my needs, thanks!