PDA

View Full Version : Funky build

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-18, 12:07 PM
So I was modiying a psion class for a game I'm going to run and was looking at the Soulknife when I noticed their 13th level ability.

Beginning at 13th level, when a soulknife executes a psychic strike, he can choose to substitute Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage (his choice) for extra dice of damage. For each die of extra damage he gives up, he deals 1 point of damage to the ability score he chooses. A soulknife can combine extra dice of damage and ability damage in any combination.

The soulknife decides which ability score his psychic strike damages and the division of ability damage and extra dice of damage when he imbues his mind blade with the psychic strike energy.

Then I thought about the Factotum, specifically their 4th level ability Cunning Strike (spend an IP to get +1d6 sneak attack damage). And then came 3 levels of swordsage.

Factotum 4/Soulknife 13/Swordsage 3
You want Assassins Stance and Rabid Bear Strike in your maneuvers readied list.

Spend most of your feats on Font of Inspiration, let's say 6 iterations of it for the moment. That means you have 24 IP.

Now let's see how many points of Int, Wis, or Cha damage we can cause in a round.
+2d6 from Assassins Stance
+10d6 from Rabid Bear Strike
Use an IP for Int to the attack roll, spend the other 23 IP on Cunning Strike for a +23d6 sneak attack.
+3d8 from Psychic Strike

That is a total of 38 extra dice of damage. With Knife to the Soul that can be turned into 38 points of Int, Wis, or Cha damage.

You can push the damage higher by getting other sources of bonus dice but I don't really feel like scouring the source material to find out what the actual max is. This also doesn't work on enemies immune to sneak attacks, non living creatures, mind less creatures, or creatures immune to mind affecting attacks.

This can actually be combo-ed pretty well, get your parties wizard to drop a disjunction onto an enemy caster immediately before your attack and most of the defenses against your strike are stripped off, allowing you to drop the enemy in a single hit.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-18, 12:24 PM
Blatant raw abuse and certainly not intended, but that's what we should expect from you.

Add elemental weapons (there are ways to get those as a mindblade; gauntlets in MIC and a weapon of legacy) and augment crystals to taste. Psychokinetic, flaming, frost, corrosive, sonic, lightning... that's an extra six dice or an extra 6 points od ability damage.

The problem is it being ability damage instead of drain or burn, and many things are immune to it.

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-18, 12:30 PM
Yah, not saying it's particularly good just kinda nifty.

It's also more playable than a straight Soul Knife.

Tier wise this build might break into tier 3, which is good for anything using 13 levels of Soulknife. That's mostly the case because of the Factotum and swordsage abilities.