PDA

View Full Version : Picks for Spell Mastery

Toliudar
2012-04-18, 02:22 PM
I've got a new character that's taking Spell Mastery. Although I often play casters, this is actually the first time I've used this feat. The character is, mechanically, a fairly straightforward shadowcraft mage build, with Enchantment, Evocation and Necromancy banned.

So I'm taking a poll. What 5 spells - no more than 2 at 5th level, and the rest all below that - would you pick for your Spell Mastery memorize-at-will list? Bonus points for staying out of setting-specific source materials, and for actually explaining why you made your picks.

Thanks in advance!

Malachei
2012-04-18, 02:34 PM
Are you planning to take Uncanny Forethought?

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 02:42 PM
Are you planning to take Magelord?

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-18, 02:43 PM
The reason for Spell Mastery is generally so that you can escape if captured and your spell book is taken away, that being the case:

1)Polymoprh.
It's incredibly versatile and allows you to do everything from disguise yourself as someone else to turning into an animal to fly away.

2) Greater Invisibility
The reasons for this should be self explanatory.

3) Dimension Door
Makes escape much, much, easier. It's relatively rare that an entire area has teleportation blocked in it or that it is more than a few hundred feet tall. Polymorph into a bird and then dimension door yourself 500 or so feet straight up. It's a pity that you barred evocation as Resilient Sphere blocks line of effect so if you cast that first then you can DD from inside it and get to safety pretty easily, but ah well.

4) Dismissal
If you are imprisoned off plane this will kick you back to the material plane (or at least to another plane where you can cast it again if necessary). It really tends to suck if you escape from your prison to find that you are stuck in the Abyss or the like and that you don't have Plane Shift.

5) Dispel Magic
This should also be relatively self explanatory.

---
This is a core only list but outside of core doesn't tend to make it that much better. I would dump the Greater Invisibility for Celerity so that if you are being transported outside of an AMF you can allow yourself to instantly act without interruption and escape.

Malachei
2012-04-18, 02:46 PM
As a Shadowcraft Mage, will you go the Killer Gnome way?

If yes, then Silent Image should be the first choice (for your Shadow Illusion class ability).

Toliudar
2012-04-18, 03:28 PM
Are you planning to take Uncanny Forethought?

No.

Are you planning to take Magelord?

No.

Tippy - That use of Dismissal is...brilliant. Thank you! My only fear then is that the Material plane is a big place. It'd suck to end up on Athas.

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-18, 03:48 PM
Tippy - That use of Dismissal is...brilliant. Thank you! My only fear then is that the Material plane is a big place. It'd suck to end up on Athas.
Thanks, it's one of the tricks that is going to be in my wizards handbook whenever I get around to writing the Abjuration section (writing the Evocation section right now actually).

And would you prefer being in the Abyss or on Athas? That also assumes that Athas exists in the same prime material as whatever world you are playing in does.

JeminiZero
2012-04-18, 07:13 PM
The reason for Spell Mastery is generally so that you can escape if captured and your spell book is taken away, that being the case:

There is also the second scenario, you are not currently captured, and your spellbook has gone missing. (Either you were captured but you escaped and are trying to get back to civilization, or your spellbook was stolen/destroyed in an act of DM fiat).

In such scenarios, I recommend having at least 1 spell of every level, so that no slot goes wasted. That said, look up the Tattoo spellbook in Complete Arcane. you can store some low level spells in there (since it is limited by level), and save your Spell Mastery for your higher level stuff (since it is limited by number of spells).

Back to the question at hand, here are some spells I like to keep in Tattoo spellbook/Spell Mastery:

Summon Component: In the event that you are imprisoned, your Spell Component Pouch will likely be taken as well. Unless you have Eschew Components, this will come in handy.

Rope Trick: Self explanatory. After you've immediately escaped capture and are out of the danger zone, you can use this to regroup and replan. Otherwise, on a day-to-day adventuring basis (without your spellbook), you need this to rest safely.

Alter Self: An alternative to Polymorph for certain effects like Flight or Water-breathing. And it lasts longer than polymorph too.

Toliudar
2012-04-18, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Jemini. I'm not more than usually concerned about the theft of the spellbook. But your comments about the material components are spot on. Interesting.

Cor1
2012-04-19, 08:38 AM
Spell Mastery : Leomund's Secret Chest.

NEVER lose your spellbook.

No, not even then.

Toliudar
2012-04-19, 10:27 AM
Interesting. I hadn't considered that one. Cor, how do you get around the likelihood of someone taking away the replica if they capture you?

kestrel404
2012-04-19, 01:07 PM
Actually, based partially on the 'leomund's chest' answer (which is a good one, but far from perfect exactly because of the reason you noted), Lesser Planar Binding is a better option, if you can RP the binding, and requires a bit of setup (if this is for a new character, some character history, if not some buildup).

You start by summoning a planar being of your own alignment (or relatively close to it) - preferably on the 'lawful' end of the spectrum as they tend to be more reliable. You then bargain with/befriend this being. Be very sure of them, because you're going to be relying on them, so don't choose someone flaky.

You give them a Handy Haversack with a couple of spare spell component pouches and a backup spellbook. You ask (or demand and pay for) them to carry the haversack at all times on their person - noting that they may use it as they wish as long as they keep your few paltry items in it and return those items when you want them.

Then, when it becomes necessary, you prepare Lesser Planar Binding from memory (you actually don't need the Magic Circle against X if you're not planning on trapping/binding whatever it is you call up, which is why you need to make bargains/friends in advance) and summon that specific planar being. This way, when you're in a tight spot, you not only get your spellbook back but also a handy ally to watch your back.

You might also want to add Magix Circle against X to your mastery list - powdered silver is not particularly hard to come by since you can basically make it with a couple of coins and a metal file, and it's useful in a LOT of situations, not just for summoning nasty extraplanar creatures.

Going with the planar theme for your mastery, Plane Shift is a very nice spell to be able to use on short notice - it will get you out of virtually any situation that doesn't involve a dimensional anchor. And for that reason, Dispel magic (to remove the effects of a dimensional anchor if one is present) is a good plan.

And since we've got spells for levels 2, 3 and 5, I'd say fill the last level with Polymorph (as it will not just get you out of virtually any situation, it will also allow you to survive many hostile planar environments).

TL;DR:
Lesser Planar Ally (and memorize the name of a friendly Archon who you've asked to carry around your spare spellbook), Plane Shift, Polymorph, Dispel Magic and Magic Circle against Evil.

Aharon
2012-04-19, 01:14 PM
Then, when it becomes necessary, you prepare Lesser Planar Binding from memory (you actually don't need the Magic Circle against X if you're not planning on trapping/binding whatever it is you call up, which is why you need to make bargains/friends in advance) and summon that specific planar being.

This is incorrect. You always do need the circle:

Casting this spell attempts a dangerous act: to lure a creature from another plane to a specifically prepared trap, which must lie within the spell’s range. The called creature is held in the trap until it agrees to perform one service in return for its freedom.

To create the trap, you must use a magic circle spell, focused inward.