PDA

View Full Version : Help me equip my wizard

Saage
2012-04-18, 02:52 PM
Hi!
I'm new to D&D and I am soon embarking on an adventure. My char is 10lvl Gnome Enchanter (-Necro, -Conj), and I have 24.000gp to equip him. Since I am new, I have no idea on what should I get. I want to hear your tips, advices for great items, etc.
Literally any help will be very welcome!

Malachei
2012-04-18, 02:59 PM
What is your UMD? Could you reliably UMD a Wand or Staff? If yes, then Runestaff.

Also, Headband of Intellect is an obvious choice.

There are countless items in the Magic Item Compendium that are considered excellent deals.

This is a bit shooting in the dark.
I'd like more information on you, your party, what you already have.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-19, 07:09 AM
Well, there's always the basics: vest of resistance, ring of protection, headband of intellect. Boccob's Blessed Book is good if you don't want to worry about carrying a ton of spellbooks. Healing Belt is a great bargain and may keep you alive.

Roguenewb
2012-04-19, 07:38 AM
Pearls of Power can be super great too. You can also *just* afford a ring of wizardry 1, if more spell slots of that level will help you.

Darrin
2012-04-19, 09:06 AM
Hi!
I'm new to D&D and I am soon embarking on an adventure. My char is 10lvl Gnome Enchanter (-Necro, -Conj), and I have 24.000gp to equip him. Since I am new, I have no idea on what should I get. I want to hear your tips, advices for great items, etc.

Vestment of Many Styles (500 GP, Races of Eberron): Change clothing at will, and +2 circumstance bonus on any Disguise check that involves clothing.

Hat of Disguise (1800 GP, DMG): Swiss-army chainsaw for all social engineering projects.

Spellsight Spectacles (2500 GP, Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on Spellcraft and UMD checks with scrolls.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on all Concentration checks.

Glyph Seal (1000/4000 GP, Magic Item Compendium): Allows you to cast buffs as a free action (put it on a pocket/pouch containing ammo or spell compnents), or other PCs to activate "Personal" spells on themselves, or trigger by touch/proximity to cast offensive spells against enemies.

Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP, DMG): +3 competence bonus on all Cha-based skill checks, including UMD.

Veil of Allure (14000 GP, Magic Item Compendium): +2 on save DCs for all your enchantments, SLAs, and Charisma-based abilities.

And here's something else you might want to consider if you want to drive your DM insane and get books thrown at your head. There's an armor/shield property in Defenders of the Faith (3.0 book for healbots and such) called Charming. +3 enhancement, so even putting this on a buckler +1 would set you back about 16165 GP, but every time an opponent attacks you, they must make a Will save or they are charmed by you for 1 hour. Now, the save DC is pathetically low (DC 11 for charm person/animal, but oddly enough DC 14 for charm monster), they get a +4 bonus if it's a melee attack, in most cases they get an additional +5 if you or your allies are currently threatening/attacking them, and it's a mind-effect so a large number of enemies will be immune. But your opponents have to save for *every* *single* *attack*. Eventually, they'll roll a "1". And for whatever reason, this enhancement wasn't updated in the Magic Item Compendium (MIC), so it's still legal for 3.5 games.