PDA

View Full Version : Dead Eye feat and Eldritch Blast

Darth_Versity
2012-04-18, 03:42 PM
Would the dead eye feat work with Eldritch Blast. I guess the easiest way to ask it, does Eldritch blast count as a weapon?

Shade Kerrin
2012-04-18, 07:12 PM
It's a weaponlike 'spell', as defined on page 85 of Complete Arcane.
I don't know of a Dead Eye feat, but if you mean Deadeye Shot from PHB2, then it will work.

Darth_Versity
2012-04-19, 01:04 AM
Dead Eye is from Dragon Compendium, it requires weapon focus with a ranged weapon and then you can add your dex to damage within 30'.

Doxkid
2012-04-19, 02:18 AM
You pretty much answered your own question.

You can get Weapon Focus: Ray (which eldritch blast would fall under).

Since you can get Weapon focus Ray, you can get that Dragon Compendium feat, assuming your DM allows Drag feats.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-19, 10:03 AM
It doesn't work because Complete Arcane has a restricted list of which feats apply to weapon-like spells and Dead Eye is not among them.

Darrin
2012-04-19, 10:29 AM
It doesn't work because Complete Arcane has a restricted list of which feats apply to weapon-like spells and Dead Eye is not among them.

Yes, but Weapon Focus is among them, and damage from Dead-Eye is applied based on that Weapon Focus:

"You may add your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls made with ranged weapons for which you have the Weapon Focus feat, so long as the target is within 30 feet."

In this case, so long as you can argue that the Eldritch Blast SLA counts for "Weapon Focus: Ranged Spells", then you should get the damage.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-19, 02:24 PM
Yes, but Weapon Focus is among them, and damage from Dead-Eye is applied based on that Weapon Focus:

"You may add your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls made with ranged weapons for which you have the Weapon Focus feat, so long as the target is within 30 feet."

In this case, so long as you can argue that the Eldritch Blast SLA counts for "Weapon Focus: Ranged Spells", then you should get the damage.

Hm... I can see myself buying that argument, but I can see many DMs not going for it.
I'd definitely allow it, though.

Particle_Man
2012-04-19, 07:04 PM

I doubt the list is that restricted, actually, especially when it comes to feats that come out later than Complete Arcane, especially when they have as prerequisites a feat from that list and so can be seen as part of the weaponlike spell "family".

JadePhoenix
2012-04-20, 12:03 PM
I doubt the list is that restricted, actually, especially when it comes to feats that come out later than Complete Arcane, especially when they have as prerequisites a feat from that list and so can be seen as part of the weaponlike spell "family".
You're free to doubt it, but that's what says in Complete Arcane.

The following feats can be chosen to enhance the performance of weaponlike spells in combat (for full details on
each feat, see Chapter 5 of the Player’s Handbook).

Darth_Versity
2012-04-20, 12:13 PM
You're free to doubt it, but that's what says in Complete Arcane.

But that doesn't restrict you to only that list, it just gives a list that can be taken. If it said "The following are the only feaats that can apply..." then fair enough but as it stands that looks as if its just a list that can apply from the PHB in case of confusion.

Darrin
2012-04-20, 12:27 PM
But that doesn't restrict you to only that list, it just gives a list that can be taken. If it said "The following are the only feaats that can apply..." then fair enough but as it stands that looks as if its just a list that can apply from the PHB in case of confusion.

The same rules were cut&pasted into the Rules Compendium. If the designers had intended to open it up to more feats, then that would have been the best place to make a note of that... I dunno, I kinda expected them to address the issue of "if you don't see a feat on this list..." (particularly the weapon-specific feats from PHBII), but they didn't. Expanding that list seems more like a "DM's Call" kind of thing.

Cieyrin
2012-04-20, 12:43 PM
The same rules were cut&pasted into the Rules Compendium. If the designers had intended to open it up to more feats, then that would have been the best place to make a note of that... I dunno, I kinda expected them to address the issue of "if you don't see a feat on this list..." (particularly the weapon-specific feats from PHBII), but they didn't. Expanding that list seems more like a "DM's Call" kind of thing.

Especially given that Dragon Compendium isn't a WotC book, I wouldn't expect it to see it referenced in WotC books.

Either way, I don't see harm in allowing Eldritch Blasts to benefit from Dead Eye.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-20, 12:50 PM
Especially given that Dragon Compendium isn't a WotC book, I wouldn't expect it to see it referenced in WotC books.

Either way, I don't see harm in allowing Eldritch Blasts to benefit from Dead Eye.

Neither do I, but it's not RAW.