PDA

View Full Version : question about cloistered cleric & devotion feats

Stauffie
2012-04-18, 05:24 PM
Hi.

In our Eberon campgain I am currently playing a monk1/cleric5/sacred fist7. My diety is Dol Dorn, domains war and planning (for free extend spell, handy on the road to persistent DMM) So far, it has been a very rewarding character, and i really enjoy him.

Since at some point, more levels in sacred fist can't be taken, i was allready wondering about what to do after sacred fist 10 (yes, this is still some way into the future, but still, i like to plan ahead).

I was reading about cloistered cleric and devotion feats (from complete champion) and was asking myself this question:

Is it possible to take a level of cloistered cleric after SF10? This might seem a bad idea, but the reasons will become obious later. But I'm not sure it's legal, since cloistered cleric is somehow an alternative to cleric, and i allready am a cleric.
The reason why i want to take CC is because it grants 3 domains (although i allready have cleric domains... is that possible?), which can be traded in for devotion feats... this way, i can get strenght devotion (slam attack! great!), magic devotion and knowledge devotion. Would like travel devotion but deity doesn't grant it.

I'm not sure these 3 feats are worth losing caster lvls in cleric (at SF 10, I'll be at caster lvl 13, lvl 7 spells, and the CC will lose me a lvl on the way to lvl 8 and 9 spells), but 3 feats, a bunch of skillpoints and some more lvl 1 spells don't seem such a bad idea.

Thematically, it makes sense, since in downtime my character will often return to the monastary.

Another very good option is Ordained Champion.

So what do you think? is 1 lvl of CC legal? Is it any good?

Madcrafter
2012-04-18, 05:36 PM
You won't be able to take cloistered cleric if you already have cleric levels.

If you are looking to get more domains though (either as more options or to trade for feats) you might want to take a look at the sovereign speaker PrC, an eberron specific one who worships the entire sovereign host and gets domains from each god.

Thalnawr
2012-04-18, 05:36 PM
I believe this wouldn't be doable with your current setup. As you mentioned, it's an alternate form of the exact same class. You could try sneaking it past your GM, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Edit: Swordsaged, how about that.

Stauffie
2012-04-18, 05:46 PM
WOW sovereign speaker is really nice! Didn't see that before. I guess the extra domains are viable for devotion feats?
Thanks Madcrafter!

Big Fau
2012-04-18, 05:59 PM
WOW sovereign speaker is really nice! Didn't see that before. I guess the extra domains are viable for devotion feats?
Thanks Madcrafter!

Not without a house rule. The extra devotion feats are an option for Clerics, not Cleric-based PrCs.

Madcrafter
2012-04-18, 06:05 PM
Not without a house rule. The extra devotion feats are an option for Clerics, not Cleric-based PrCs.

I doubt that many DMs would enforce such a strict reading of the rules, or even notice such a discrepancy in the language without a careful re-reading of the section. Plus, he is a cleric, and he has the domain, and therefore he can trade it, since it doesn't mention where the domain has to come from.

Big Fau
2012-04-18, 06:33 PM
I doubt that many DMs would enforce such a strict reading of the rules, or even notice such a discrepancy in the language without a careful re-reading of the section. Plus, he is a cleric, and he has the domain, and therefore he can trade it, since it doesn't mention where the domain has to come from.

Even considering that, do remember that you can only ever have up to 3 Devotion feats (CC Page 53, paragraph 2).

Stauffie
2012-04-19, 02:54 PM
Even considering that, do remember that you can only ever have up to 3 Devotion feats (CC Page 53, paragraph 2).

That is not a problem, i don't have any devotion feats yet.

My DM ok-ed trading the domains of SS for devotion feats because, as pointed out in this tread, I am a cleric

I do have another question though: is it possible to have both a domain AND the corresponding devotion feat? Could I choose travel devotion at lvl 1 of Sovereign Speaker and the travel domain (nice spells too) at lvl 2? The sovereign speaker says that i can only choose 2 domains that belong to one sovereign host deity, and travel belongs to other deity than Dol Dorn, so that in itself does not limit me... Is this possible?

Curmudgeon
2012-04-19, 04:00 PM
I do have another question though: is it possible to have both a domain AND the corresponding devotion feat?
Sure. You can either acquire the domain feat as a regular (every 3 levels) feat choice, or make another swap such as Inquisition domain for Knowledge Devotion (see page 53 of Complete Champion) while keeping your Cloistered Cleric Knowledge domain.

Note that if you ever want a 3rd domain feat, it must come from a domain->feat swap.

Stauffie
2012-04-19, 04:16 PM
Sure. You can either acquire the domain feat as a regular (every 3 levels) feat choice, or make another swap such as Inquisition domain for Knowledge Devotion (see page 53 of Complete Champion) while keeping your Cloistered Cleric Knowledge domain.

Note that if you ever want a 3rd domain feat, it must come from a domain->feat swap.

That's great: I'll take celerity, from Balinor, and trade it in for the travel devotion, and after that get travel domain from Kol Korran.
Sweet