PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for a build

Saito Takuji
2012-04-18, 06:47 PM
okay so i may be starting up a campaign soon with some friends, and since they already have a wizard/druid/rogue/figher it leaves me open to pretty much anything. so i decided to go for a sorc. so i can take the blasting slack off of the wizard a bit leaving him for more utility.

the one thing i have planned for quirky-ness is to take a feat from bastards and bloodlines to allow me to sub con as my casting stat instead of CHA, and plan on taking sandshaper for some more spells known, with practiced spellcaster to get over the lack of +1 level of existing spellcaster level at first level.

but beyond that i am not really sure, but was thinking something that could take advantage of con and still allow mostly full casthing progression (nothing outside of the scope of practiced spellcaster)

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 07:28 PM
Practiced Spellcaster doesn't make up for the lost level. It just gives you extra CL, not spells per day or spells known. The distinction between caster level and spellcaster level is important.

You may be interested in the Dwarf Sorcerer substitution level, which lets you add your Constitution modifier to your Charisma score to determine bonus spells per day. Just pick a Dwarf that doesn't get a CHA penalty (there are a bunch).

Saito Takuji
2012-04-18, 07:32 PM
hmm, that may work out as well

are there any ways to make up for spells per day/spells known? thought there was supposed to be one

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 07:35 PM
A Kobold can use a bunch of cheese to get more Sorcerer spellcaster levels than he has levels, but that's generally frowned upon. Otherwise, the only way to make up lost levels is Ardent, but that's a psionic class.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-18, 07:48 PM
ahwell i suppose it is only one level of -spells per day, to provide quite a bit of spells known so its not a huge deal

but any other fun prc's/feats to take that could help (would go wizard but hate the idea of prepared spells)

Namfuak
2012-04-18, 10:17 PM
If you are building a "blaster" sorcerer, you will probably be well served following this guide:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer

However, since you are going into sandshaper, it seems more like you are into minionmancy. Unfortunately, I don't know much about that.

Flickerdart
2012-04-18, 10:35 PM
Note that the Mailman is very high op, and is going to be overkill for a significant majority of games.

Namfuak
2012-04-18, 10:47 PM
Note that the Mailman is very high op, and is going to be overkill for a significant majority of games.

It's relatively easy to tone down though. Restrict yourself from using arcane fusion, and suddenly true strike has to take up an action or a really high spell slot. Restrict arcane thesis, for obvious reasons. No time stop, celerity, etc (maybe have them on your list for emergencies, but don't use them all the time). Without taking 10 levels of incantrix the mailman sorcerer is much less powerful, and since he is going into sandshaper he presumably won't be able to do that.

Randomguy
2012-04-18, 11:20 PM
hmm, that may work out as well

are there any ways to make up for spells per day/spells known? thought there was supposed to be one

The sandshaper level makes up for itself with spells known: it adds a huge number to your list. It also boosts your caster level as long as you carry around a backpack full of sand, so you only miss out on a few spell slots, and sorcerers have some to spare. There's no reason not to take 8 levels of it (Unless you have a different PrC in mind), but think carefully before taking more: Losing the second caster level might not always be worth it.

You can also get a runestaff, from MIC, to artificially increase your spells known.

In general, Kobold might not be so bad: Lizards in a desert make sense. And the draconic rite cheese isn't horrible either, as long as you get DM approval first, since sorcerers are already behind on wizards in terms of when they get the spells, even without losing caster levels from PrC's.

I just checked the x stat y bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732), and it seems like the only things for constitution you can take advantage of are the manoeuvres that replace saving throws with concentration checks, which you can get through magic items. Unless you make a custom Fist of the Desert's belt that gets you con to AC, or something. Oh, and there's a feat that lets you add con to will saves in phb 2, which could be useful.

Lucid
2012-04-19, 12:46 AM
Also, should you go with kobold, there's the desert kobold (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertKobolds), which fits perfectly fluffwise, has no light sensitivity and changes the constitution penalty to wisdom.

Person_Man
2012-04-19, 08:40 AM
Since you want to go with a traditional blaster, you might want to consider Wu-Jen 6. Although they have a much more limited spell list then a Wizard or Sorcerer, they have the easiest time increasing caster level (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) on their spells.

Their 6th level class ability and the Rod of Elemental Might (9,600 gp, Complete Mage) gives them +4 to spells from their chosen Element. From their, it's easy to add another +2 to +4 with a couple of Feats and/or items for a specific element, which leads naturally into Sandshaper or a similar PrC.