PDA

View Full Version : Goliath gestalt warhulk

alastordracul
2012-04-18, 06:49 PM
I am helping on an epic build for shennanigans. It is a gestalt warhulk as stated above. The first half was fairly easy for what we want, Dugeon Crasher/Warhulk/Hulking Hurler. We are having trouble putting the second half together. The first idea was a goliath variant barbarian. The strength bonus from that is nice for bullrushing but that's all it adds. I was thinking using an initiator instead. I don't know if it is possible to get a lockdown mechanic built in to keep enemies from escaping without at least dipping initiator. I know this build is one dimensional and not the best idea for gestalt, but I'd be very appreciative for any input.

TheMooch
2012-04-18, 07:03 PM
go barbarian 2/crusader 16/warblade 2 (dipping warblade for select manuevers)

with both lion and wolf totems and the whirling frenzy ACFs you will be a beast, have some healing, lockdown with thicket of blades

another choice is grab some casting cleric would go well with strength and war domains

half-minotaur would fit as well as supply yet more strength (there's no such thing as too much right ... right? ...)

Otomodachi
2012-04-18, 07:04 PM
Well, if you're going for shenanigans, but not looking to add actual spellcasting, then (if your DM is cool with it) adding templates, RHD and level adjust might be fun. Isn't there a version of Goliath, Feral Gargant or something? Or add any of the templates that increase size + half dragon for flight, saint from book of exalted deeds is pretty awesome for it's cost (what, I'm the saint of throwing heavy junk, you never heard of me?) hell you could even slap vampire on there to make yourself tough to kill. I would honestly (again, if your DM agrees that templates are valid for gestalting, dunno if it's official but it is my personal RAI) start slapping on templates like there's no tomorrow.

teslas
2012-04-19, 06:55 AM
You failed to address that unless your DM has made an exception, goliaths don't qualify for the war hulk prestige class. It's not silly to do such a thing, especially if you take the 1st level goliath barbarian substitution level. You're obviously the cheese-ridden type of crowd, anyway, playing gestalt and all. I just wanted to be sure.

Feral Gargun are not a race that could be considered good for anything cheese-wise. Two racial HD (that you must take if you want powerful build) and then LA +1. The full BAB and good Will saves aren't half bad, no, but going goliath with two class levels is better in 99% of situations--even in gestalt games.

Otomodachi
2012-04-19, 01:06 PM
Teslas, I think you've might've missed my point, although perhaps anyhow.

Anyhow, the good thing about Feral Gargants isn't (well, normally, isn't much of anything, but in this case) that it's an especially good race, or that monstrous humanoid hit dice are somehow good; the good thing in this case is +4 str, +2 dex, +4 con, the ability to do jumps from a standing start as if running, accelerated climbing, and darkvision. Oh, and powerful build. Throw half-ogre (first size-enhancer that comes to mind) on that and you're large- warhulk is no longer a problem. And you still have powerful build. Oh, and your strength is even higher. Throw half-dragon on that, and you fly and gain even more stat bonuses. My point is that if AlastorDracul doesn't want to pick up spellcasting on the other side, I would recommend pumping his relevant stats and picking up abilities/immunities (adding some kinda undead for immune to mind-affecting would be a good choice; picking up SR that keys off your level would be nice, too) with the other side of his gestalt. Ditch feral gargant, what do I care? I only brought them up in the first place cuz the original build used goliaths, who knows, maybe the guy *likes* the race, I think they're pretty cool myself.

It won't fly in every gaming group. Some DMs, I'm sure, will demand gestalt only involve actual class levels. BUT, that's how I'd do it, in my group.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-19, 01:28 PM
Right here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240334#4)

Fouredged Sword
2012-04-19, 02:00 PM
See if you can get a warforged charger. Large, +10 str, +10 con. 4 ok RHD, +4 LA, 2 slams.

Now see that you qualify for warforged juggernaut. Take all levels, be immune to everything.

Get two battle fists and a spiked chain. Take one level of barbarian (trip and pounce) and then go crusader dipping warblade.

Heal through the spells that grant fast healing and crusader abilities. Thicket of blades and attacks that hit multiple squares will be a nasty combo.

Something like Warblade 1 / Barbarian 1 / Crusader 3 / Warforged Juggernaut 5/ war hulk 10 // LA 4 / RHD 4 / Crusader 12

alastordracul
2012-04-19, 07:32 PM
Thank you for pointing out the flaw in my build. I've been looking over the various options and I like the half minotaur template. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a fan of template stacking unless I am building a comical villain.
Also I like the feral gargun but not for this build.

alastordracul
2012-04-20, 09:43 PM
After a going over some more options I think I'm going to drop hulking hurler for 4 levels of bloodstorm blade. I like the extra versatility it adds if the enemy gets out of my reach. I'm not sure how many fighter levels I want to take after the initial 6. Besides that I think I will juggle warblade and crusader. Feat wise I need Power Attack, Cleave, and Point Blank Shot. I am open to any other ideas for feats and class progression and equipment that I won't be able to live without.

alastordracul
2012-05-12, 07:30 AM
Has anyone thought of doing this as a half minotaur dragonlance minotaur?

hex0
2012-05-13, 06:34 PM
Has anyone thought of doing this as a half minotaur dragonlance minotaur?

So it would be a 1.5x minotaur? O_o

I'd apply Half-Minotaur to basically any medium size race. Human or Dwarf are nice choices. Orc is good if you are ok with -2 to all mental stats (I'm not!). Even elf is a weird choice (CON balances out).

Spuddles
2012-05-13, 06:55 PM
So it would be a 1.5x minotaur? O_o

I'd apply Half-Minotaur to basically any medium size race. Human or Dwarf are nice choices. Orc is good if you are ok with -2 to all mental stats (I'm not!). Even elf is a weird choice (CON balances out).

Half-Minotaur increases con by +6 when applied to a medium creature, as the template explicitly says you get the stat boosts from a size increase.