PDA

View Full Version : +1 to Caster Level

Uncensored
2012-04-18, 09:08 PM
I'm sure this has come up plenty of times, but I was unable to find a thorough explanation of this:

What exactly does "+1 to caster level" mean?

Specifically, I'm rolling up a Spellscale / Dragonspawn Sorcerer and was considering the Draconic Power Feat.

Dragonspawn adds +1 Sorcerer caster level, and Draconic Power does the same, but I'm not sure what that actually means.

Basically, at level 1 with +2 to caster level, would I get to cast Sorcerer spells as though I were level 3?
As great as that sounds, wouldn't that mean I know five level-0 and three level-1 spells, and can cast 6 level-0 and 5 level-1 spells per day?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-04-18, 09:11 PM
I'm sure this has come up plenty of times, but I was unable to find a thorough explanation of this:

What exactly does "+1 to caster level" mean?

Specifically, I'm rolling up a Spellscale / Dragonspawn Sorcerer and was considering the Draconic Power Feat.

Dragonspawn adds +1 Sorcerer caster level, and Draconic Power does the same, but I'm not sure what that actually means.

Basically, at level 1 with +2 to caster level, would I get to cast Sorcerer spells as though I were level 3?
As great as that sounds, wouldn't that mean I know five level-0 and three level-1 spells, and can cast 6 level-0 and 5 level-1 spells per day?

It refers to the variable effects of spells. For example, fireball is Long range (400' + 40'/caster level) and does 1d6 damage per caster level. If you're a level 6 sorcerer but have +1 caster level, then you cast fireballs like you were 7th level (680' and 7d6 damage).

This does not give you additional spells slots or spells known or class features. It just applies to variable spell effects that would be dependent on your caster level.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel

eggs
2012-04-18, 09:19 PM
Caster level (from things like Draconic power or Practiced Spellcaster) doesn't give you levels in a spellcasting class. So you'd still cast like a level 1 Sorcerer. Just the effects would improve in several ways.

Boosting caster level improves:
Ranges (as mentioned in spell entries)
Durations (as mentioned in spell entries)
The DC other casters have to overcome to dispel the effect.
Bonuses to overcome spell resistance.
Spell effects that explicitly vary by spells (eg. Fireball's 1d6 damage per caster level, or Shield of Faith's 2+1 per 6 caster level AC boost).

And various other things, as listed in individual spells (like the Hit dice Blasphemy affects, or the DC on the poison spell).

Uncensored
2012-04-18, 09:24 PM
Thomar, thank you. You're the best. You're fantastic, too, eggs.

On an side note, however, the text for Dragonspawn reads that all dragonspawn gain the ability to cast spells as 1st-level sorcerers. If the base already has levels in sorcerer, the the effective sorcerer level increases by 1.

... this instance seems a bit different from caster level...

tyckspoon
2012-04-18, 09:33 PM
Thomar, thank you. You're the best. You're fantastic, too, eggs.

On an side note, however, the text for Dragonspawn reads that all dragonspawn gain the ability to cast spells as 1st-level sorcerers. If the base already has levels in sorcerer, the the effective sorcerer level increases by 1.

... this instance seems a bit different from caster level...

It is. The game terms are not very well distinguished, but basically there's Spellcaster Level and Caster level. Spellcaster Level determines what you can cast- which spell levels you have access to, and for Spells Known casters how many spells you know. Dragonspawn increases that level, as does taking actually Sorcerer levels and levels in "+1 existing caster class" prestige classes. Caster level determines how powerful your spells are, in general; increasing it improves any caster level-derived variables in your spells, makes them harder to dispel, and so forth.

A lot of the mixup comes because Caster Level is, by default, equal to Spellcaster Level, and a lot of the rules assume that's how it is, without making proper space to include things like Practiced Spellcaster or Orange Ioun Stones that operate on Caster Level but not Spellcaster Level.

Uncensored
2012-04-18, 09:35 PM
So making a +1LA Dragonspawn Sorcerer at level 1 actually creates a level 2 Sorcerer?

Chronos
2012-04-19, 01:29 AM
So making a +1LA Dragonspawn Sorcerer at level 1 actually creates a level 2 Sorcerer?As far as spellcasting goes, yes. You'll still only have 1 HD, though, and skills, BAB, and saves of a 1st-level character.

Uncensored
2012-04-19, 10:05 PM
That's still not bad, considering I'll have decent stats all around.