PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Starting gear of a lvl 6 Wizard

Kilink
2012-04-18, 10:35 PM
I am currently in a Kingmaker session and I just joined.

I have a lvl 6 wizard and 2120 GP to gear him up. What equipment should my wizard start with? I could go through the whole list but I'm afraid I might take the wrong choices.

deuxhero
2012-04-18, 10:47 PM
Did you take any item creation feats or bonded object?

Also ask the GM why you have less than the estimated wealth of a level 3 character at level 6 (you should have 16,000 gp. The rules are balanced around characters getting their WBL. Casters are the least hit by low funds, but you don't really sound like you know enough to power through that)

What you have to work with is also worth noting

With proper WBL, I'd kit a Wizard (half costs if you took the appropriate item creation feat)

At the very least I'd take (as far as magic goes)

Headband of Vast Intelligence +2 (4000)
Handy Haversack (2000): You likely didn't invest in a high strength score. This removes the need.
Lesser Extend Metamagic Rod: Some of your buffs greatly benefit from this. 6 hours a level doubled is 12, almost your entire time awake. (3,000)
Mithral Buckler: Your lack of profiency means nothing if it has no ACP and this has no ASF (1005)
+1 fortification enchantment on Buckler: Gives you an extra point of AC, but the real deal is 25% chance to ignore crits or sneak attacks, and as a d6 HD class, they would ruin your day (4000)

Total: 14005. Add various mundane gear and keep some cash liquid.

Outside of core I'd add (when you can afford it)
Mistmail: Check with the GM here, this item is pretty poorly worded. As written, you sacrifice the ability to wear armor, which you, for the most part, can't do anyways, to get a 20% miss chance, which is WAY more than any AC will do and it lasts until disabled. It may or may not be intended to give you a penalty too, but even if it does, it is worth considering as you aren't making attack rolls to miss with. 2250
Armored Kilt: An alternate to the above if the GM rules against it. Armored Kilt is the only armor you can wear. Sources with it aren't considered "mainstream" Pazio, so GM dependent. Note that Mage Armor gives better AC, but you can latter make this masterwork and enchanted and use it to hold some enchantments cheaper by not piling everything on your shield. 20/170 GP

Kilink
2012-04-18, 11:03 PM
He didn't tell me why but I reminded him lvl 6 characters start with 16k gold. He told me "10K final word" :smallfrown:

deuxhero
2012-04-18, 11:11 PM
I'd drop the Buckler from the above and wait for more money then.

avr
2012-04-18, 11:12 PM
One or two potions of cure light wounds, to get your friends on their feet if necessary. Meat shields are handy.

A few scrolls of spells you want to add to your spellbook, assuming you're getting just the spells from level up.

Aside from that the first 3 on deuxheroes list. With 10K to spend that should about cover it.

deuxhero
2012-04-18, 11:13 PM
I'd rather go with potions of stabilize and put the money saved to a group fund for a Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

avr
2012-04-18, 11:20 PM
On their feet. As in, able to run away or even fight in extremis.