PDA

View Full Version : feat progression idea for a sorcorer [D&D 3.5]

Saito Takuji
2012-04-18, 10:41 PM
the aim of this is to be smimilar to a wizards specialization option.

[spontaneous focus]

you begin to focus your inborn spellcasting into a speciffic school of magic

Prerequisites
spell focus in one school of magic, the ability to cast arcane spells without preperation

benifits
you may know one more spell of each level from the chosen school, as long as you know 2 other spells of that level

special
you may not select this feat if you have spell focus in any other spell scool, furthermore choose one school of spells other than divination, you are at -2 caster level for any spells cast of this school. furthermore if you ever select spell focus in another school you loose any benifits from this feat
[spontaneous focus (greater)]

your continue in your focus of your chosen school of magic

Prerequisites:
spontaneous focus, greater spell focus in the chosen school

benifits
you may know 2 more spells of any level in your chosen school as long as you know at least 4 other spells of that level

benifits
the spell school from the previous feat is completly removed from your spell list, and choose one more school of spells that is not divination, and you are at -3 caster level for all spells of this school furthermore if you ever select spell focus in another school you loose any benifits from this feat[spontaneous mastery]

you focus almost completley on one school of magic, partially forsaking other castings of magic.

Prerequisites:
spontaneous focus (greater), the ability to cast 9th level arcane spells without preperation

benifits
you know all spells on your class list of the given school

special
both schools of spells chosen earlier are completley removed from your class spell list, and in addition all spells outside of the school you chose are cast at -5 caster levels

thoughts critiques, flames, overpowered (if so what might help fix the tree)

Veklim
2012-04-19, 05:24 AM
Whereas I understand the thought in essence, I have to voice out the major issue I see here (other than your wording, which is vague at best). Anyone taking these feats should be playing a wizard instead. The one and only thing sorcerers have in favour of wizards is their adaptability on the fly, which is nerfed completely by these feats. If someone wants to know masses of spells and focus a lot on one specific school, then they should be playing the class which does this, wizard.

Sorcerers don't really need more feat options anyhow, there are actually a great many sorcerer only and sorcerer/bard only feats out there which allow for some interesting builds already. What sorcerers need is something else on their class table, which has to be the single most boring table in the entire game (because NPC classes don't count).

Eloel
2012-04-19, 06:42 AM
I see a (focused) Sorcerer as more focusing on specific [descriptors], (think [Force] or [Evil] ) rather than schools. Schools more as Wizard-streamlining, like different courses in Wizard school, sounds a bit more accurate to me.

Note:
Above is my fluff opinion, and not only do I not expect anyone to agree, I expect people to not agree. Again, fluff.

Eldest
2012-04-20, 01:52 PM
Spontaneous Focus

you begin to focus your inborn spellcasting into a speciffic school of magic

Prerequisites
Spell Focus, the ability to cast spontanious arcane spells

Benifits
You know one more spell of each spell level from the school you chose for Spell Focus, as long as you know 2 other spells of that spell level.

Special
You may not select this feat if you have selected Spell Focus more than once. In addition, choose one school of spells other than divination. This is your specialized school. You cast spells of this second school at -2 CL. Finally, you may not select Spell Focus a second time.

Spontaneous Focus (greater)

You continue to focus on your chosen school of magic.

Prerequisites:
Spontaneous Focus, Greater Spell Focus in the specialized school

Benifits
You may know two additional spells of each spell level in your specialized school so long as you know at least 4 other spells of that spell level.

Special
All spells from the spell school you selected in Spontanious Focus to be cast at -2 CL are completly removed from your spell list. Further, choose a third school of spells that is not divination or either of the two schools picked in Spontanious Focus. You cast spells from this third school at -3 CL.

Spontaneous Mastery

You focus almost completley on one school of magic, partially forsaking other castings of magic.

Prerequisites:
Spontaneous Focus (greater), the ability to cast 9th level arcane spells spontaneously

Benifits
You know all spells on your class list of your specialized school

Special
The third school of spells you chose for Spontaneous Focus (greater) and al spells in that school are removed from your spell list. In addition, all spells outside of your school of specialization are cast at -5 CL.

I cleaned it all up and made it more clear.