PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Ring? or just not looking hard enough?

LordDrakulzen
2012-04-18, 10:44 PM
My first DM had a way of allowing his veteran players (one in particular) do anything they wanted. "You want to use the money your characters epic father made in the 47 other campaigns to outfit your character? Ok."

Not joking about that.

Anyway, the Son of The Chosen One and his wifes characters had these rings. They called them Rings of Riveting (sp?). They allowed Criticals on anything. Oozes, undead, constructs etc. I have brought this up to a more strict DM who has stated no such ring exists. I haven't found it yet, but I like to prove him wrong anytime that I can. Anyone able to help me?

Boci
2012-04-18, 10:49 PM
There is no such ring, but their is equipment that allows you to sneak attack undead, plants and constructs (spells, weapons crystals). There is no way to sneak attack oozes however.

Eldan
2012-04-18, 11:18 PM
Technically you can do a wondrous item that does that. Then make it occupy the ring slot.

It's a permanent item of the various spells that allow you to sneak various creature types.

Thurbane
2012-04-19, 02:59 AM
There is no such ring...
That's a bit final, isn't it? :smalltongue:

It's definitely not a WotC magic item, but there is a chance it exists in an issue of Dragon Magazine, 3rd party product or internet homebrew page. Not that my Google-fu could find, mind you...

Killer Angel
2012-04-19, 04:18 AM
If you're looking for an official published item, then the answer is likely "doesn't exist". But it can certainly be done, with a sufficient amount of work and a little DM's fiat.

The problem in this campaign, is not the item, but the silliness (and lack of fairness) of the premise...

Fitz10019
2012-04-19, 05:01 AM
So a ring of Baleful Polymorph? Sorry, I haven't seen that anywhere, either.

Boci
2012-04-19, 09:26 AM
That's a bit final, isn't it? :smalltongue:

Since he was trying to prove the DM wrong I figured 3rd party and homebrew wouldn't cut it and so I was talking purely about official material.

docnessuno
2012-04-19, 01:40 PM
Technically you can do a wondrous item that does that. Then make it occupy the ring slot.

It's a permanent item of the various spells that allow you to sneak various creature types.

Still that ring would not give the ability to affect oozes, and would only allow sneak attacks on golems and undeads (no critical hits, no sudden strike, not affecting anything that has critical immunity from a spell/item, etc..)

For the sake of argument it would cost:
2000 (continuous lvl1 spell at CL 1), x4 (duration measured in rounds), x1,5 (uncustomary space limitation) x1,75 (two similar abilities) = 21000 gp

Diarmuid
2012-04-19, 03:04 PM
I think a better way to derive the price of the item is to use the Deathstrike Bracers from MIC as a basis.

They are mental (swift) activated, with 3 charges per day. I dont know what kind of pricing that is, so I'll use Command Word for now, but I could see bumping the price due to the swift vs standard activation.

So you're looking at (X*1800)*.6=5000. X = equivalent of caster level * spell level.

Solving for X gives us ~4.63.

Using the formula for continuous item (and assuming the duration is in rounds, which I would) gives a new price of

(4.63 * 2000) * 4 = 37040.

I dont remember where the body slot/affinity table is, but I probably wouldnt impose the additional off-slot penalty for a ring. Rings seem to be able to handle pretty much any kind of enchantment.

LordDrakulzen
2012-04-19, 08:18 PM
Since he was trying to prove the DM wrong I figured 3rd party and homebrew wouldn't cut it and so I was talking purely about official material.

The current DM uses WOTC RAW only. He allows Dungeon & Dragon magazine content as it is officially liscensed. If I were to make the item, He would have to #1-approve of it, and #2 see how i made it, spells, costs, so forth.

Thanks for the help so far!

Ursus the Grim
2012-04-19, 08:26 PM
Any chance an item like this existed in older editions? This sounds like the kind of DM that would grandfather in obsolete items. . . .

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 11:58 PM
Any chance an item like this existed in older editions? This sounds like the kind of DM that would grandfather in obsolete items. . . .
Sneak attack, as such, did not even exist in older editions. There was Backstabbing, which did initially double damage on a, well, back stab and more at higher levels; the game having facing in those days, but it did not have not sneak attack as we know it.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-20, 01:06 AM
Savage Species has Rogue Blade. Treats enemy as if had blink (thus sneak attack). That put on a ring.

Now Penetrating Strike class featue lets you sneak attack Oozes (at 1/2 damage).

But nothing lets you sneak attack Oozes outside of Penestrating Strike.

Boci
2012-04-20, 04:57 AM
Now Penetrating Strike class featue lets you sneak attack Oozes (at 1/2 damage).

But nothing lets you sneak attack Oozes outside of Penestrating Strike.

Since penetrating strike requires flanking, it doesn't either.

Ursus the Grim
2012-04-20, 06:50 AM
Sneak attack, as such, did not even exist in older editions. There was Backstabbing, which did initially double damage on a, well, back stab and more at higher levels; the game having facing in those days, but it did not have not sneak attack as we know it.

I see, thanks. I only got started in 3.0, though I did have an AD&D MM lying around, I have zero experience with it. Thanks for enlightening me.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-20, 08:37 AM
I see, thanks. I only got started in 3.0, though I did have an AD&D MM lying around, I have zero experience with it. Thanks for enlightening me.
*shrugs* It's what I do.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-20, 09:56 PM

Formula is (1x highest price effect)+ (0.75x second highest price) + (0.50x all further effects). Do this for all the items that let you SA more stuff, call it Ring of Riveting, rock out.