PDA

View Full Version : Help me break Sanctified Fall

Menteith
2012-04-19, 07:57 AM
The Sanctified One class from Complete Champion is actually several different classes, based on the deity one worships. The abilities are interesting and thematic, but one stands out to me as an interesting option. This is an effect granted only to worshipers of Wee Jas, and can be picked up with a one level dip.

Sanctified Eall (Su): If you are reduced to -1 or fewer hit points, or even killed outright by a death effect, you can use an immediate action to either cast a spell or make a single attack. For this action only, you can increase your either your effective caster level or your bonus on attack rolls (your decision) by an amount equal to your sanctified one level.

While this does take an immediate action (and thus, can't be endlessly used to gain actions by healing/damaging yourself off the same spell), it does allow for any spell to be cast as an immediate action, regardless of its normal casting time. Can anyone think of an incredibly long casting time spell, or an interesting approach regarding the ability in general, that this could be used for?

Doorhandle
2012-04-19, 08:04 AM
Epic spells for one, unless they don't work that way.

If it's a blaze-of-glory kind of deal, add lots of feeback as well.

Otherwise, try using it to instantly create a demiplane.

Your best option for less cheese and more continued suvival, however, is to keep one intensified vampic touch or more in reserve, and when brought to negatives use it and the improved caster level in order to get a frikton of temporary hitpoints.

Also, would it work with arcane fusion or it's stronger relatives?

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-19, 08:21 AM
Get a persistent Delay Death and a persistent Favor of the Martyr, get to negative hit points.

Congrats, you now basically have a better version of Greater Celerity as an at will SLA. Although you should be very afraid of AMF's.

Now what to use this faster cast time on. Epic spells come to mind. So does Legend Lore.

Myth
2012-04-19, 08:34 AM
Wish, always, all the time. No need to go the extra mile. This is a very good "no" button.

Menteith
2012-04-19, 12:40 PM
Get a persistent Delay Death and a persistent Favor of the Martyr, get to negative hit points.

Congrats, you now basically have a better version of Greater Celerity as an at will SLA. Although you should be very afraid of AMF's.

Now what to use this faster cast time on. Epic spells come to mind. So does Legend Lore.

Arguably, the ability only works if your hit points are brought to -1 or a lower number from a higher number, instead of being a continuous effect while at -1 or lower hit points. Do you know which reading would be correct?

Steward
2012-04-19, 12:43 PM
I think, based on logic, the game developers intended for it to work only when your hit points are brought from above 0 to below 0. I don't think they wanted someone who is at negative hit points but stable to essentially get a free spell or attack each and every round. I mean, I know that there are severe balance issues in this game but they couldn't possibly have thought that was a reasonable mechanic! :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-19, 12:45 PM
Technically you would gain it every time you loose HP and your new HP total is -1 or less.

So grab a needle and just poke yourself for 1 point of damage whenever you want to cast, say, Legend Lore (can normally take weeks).

The thing is that outside of epic spells, most things just don't have a casting time greater than a standard action anyways.

Where it gets broken is with an epic spell that has had it's casting time upped to 100 days and 10 minutes for a Spellcraft deduction of 220 points. You can now cast that as an immediate action.

Menteith
2012-04-19, 12:59 PM
Technically you would gain it every time you loose HP and your new HP total is -1 or less.

So grab a needle and just poke yourself for 1 point of damage whenever you want to cast, say, Legend Lore (can normally take weeks).

Craft Contingent Spell: Sonic Snap (CL = 1) applied multiple times, targeting yourself, with every circumstance covered? It's a cost saver, at least.

The only big ones I can see are Move Earth, prior to Undermaster at 9th level, Legend Lore, and a couple of defensive spells. Still, there's nothing wrong with having every spell prepared be available as an Immediate Action.