PDA

View Full Version : Baking with Blood

Morithias
2012-04-19, 07:57 AM
Alright I'm putting this in the general section since it doesn't really relate to 3.5 if it doesn't fit here feel free to move it.

Anyways, as I have stated MANY times, I am running a campaign based around the god of fiend being inside a young adult woman.

Now later on as she becomes more tainted her blood gains the power, if drunk to grant a creature a template, but it also turns them into a fiend and corrupts their mind.

Now once she reaches level five of six, she starts actively trying to corrupt the PC's, so here's my question.

Is it possible to bake say...a few of loaves of bread laced with blood, or would the blood just evaporate or some variant thereof in the oven?

(Also I think I just won the award for 'weirdest question ever asked on this forum')

Ashtagon
2012-04-19, 08:00 AM
To make fine Black Puddings

Take the Blood of a Hog, and strain it, and let it stand to settle, putting in a little Salt while it is warm, then pour off the water on the top of the Blood, and put so much Oatmeal as you think fit, let it stand all night, then put in eight Eggs beaten very well, as much Cream as you think fit, one Nutmeg or more grated, some Pennyroyal and other Herbs shred small, good store of Beef Sewet shred very small, and a little more Salt, mix these very well together, and then have your Guts very well scoured, and scraped with the back of a Knife, fill them but not too full, then when you have tyed them fast, wash them in fair water, and let your water boil when they go in; then boil them half an hour, then stir them with the handle of a Ladle and take them up and lay them upon clean straw, and prick them with a Needle, and when they are a little cool put them into the boiling water again, and boil them till they are enough

You can certainly boil it. I'm not aware of any recipes involving baking blood though.

(Modern translation of recipe here (http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/575687))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_as_food also has some cooking inspiration for you. Pancakes, anyone?

Mr White
2012-04-19, 08:11 AM
Not a weird question. As Ashtagon pointed out blood pudding exists in real life and variations are known all over the world.

Grinner
2012-04-19, 08:18 AM
I recall one episode of The X-Files which featured such a thing. Mulder found the loaf of bread in an oven and mentioned something about it being used to ward off vampires.

Ashtagon
2012-04-19, 08:32 AM
I found recipes that involve boiling, steaming, and frying blood, but none that involve baking it.

DaMullet
2012-04-19, 08:44 AM
Well, the essence of the blood, IE the non-water bits, would certainly remain, because solids tend not to evaporate quite so readily as liquids. This would account for all your hemogoblins and plasmos and so on. And anyway, it's not really something you can't fiat as working because it's fancy blood, if you wanted it to work.

Morithias
2012-04-19, 08:47 AM
Well, the essence of the blood, IE the non-water bits, would certainly remain, because solids tend not to evaporate quite so readily as liquids. This would account for all your hemogoblins and plasmos and so on. And anyway, it's not really something you can't fiat as working because it's fancy blood, if you wanted it to work.

Yeah, but I tend to run my campaigns with the general rule of "if it's not magical in nature, it has to follow the general laws of physics".

Basically I didn't want her to basically drug their systems and then my players get in a huge argument with me about how the blood would've just evaporated or how there wouldn't be a strong enough dose, etc.

I just felt it was wiser to double check with the highly intelligent forum people first.

Grinner
2012-04-19, 10:11 AM
Found a recipe at the bottom of pg. 370 of the PDF: link (http://books.google.com/books?id=seIYAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+complete+bread&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9iqQT7TSDIb66QGy_OTCBA&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAg).

caden_varn
2012-04-19, 10:13 AM
Well, it certainly won't survive most forms of cooking fully intact (that is sort of the point of cooking after all) - cell membranes and proteins are going to be broken down I guess. So if your group is the arguing type they have something to argue over. It depends what exactly it is about the blood that causes the effects.
If I was asked to adjudicate a dispute in the matter, I'd probably say any kind of cooking would cause the blood to lose it powers, but you could argue it either way really.

It would probably discolour the bread noticeably if a significant amount of blood was added, on a side note.

Ashtagon
2012-04-19, 10:17 AM
Anything that involves frying, congealing, steaming, boiling, or simply untreated (ie raw, such as in kourmiss) blood would preserve the integrity of blood plasma and blood solids (although good luck separating it out again, and it won't be viable for transfusions).

Baking would preserve the blood solids, but the chemical requirments of baking would destroy the blood plasma.

erikun
2012-04-19, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but I tend to run my campaigns with the general rule of "if it's not magical in nature, it has to follow the general laws of physics".
I am fairly certain that the ability to grant a demonic template is not a physical properity of the blood, though. :smalltongue:

If you bake/cook blood, you'll end up with baked blood. It won't be the liquid you started out with, but it won't evaporate either. And your bloodloaf wouldn't be any drier than a normal loaf of bread.

Aux-Ash
2012-04-19, 01:30 PM
Baking with blood as an ingredient is very much possible. As mentioned, black/blood pudding is essentially just that (we also got actual bread with blood in it here in Sweden). But just like with eggs, milk and whatnot. The heat will make the proteins degrade. The enzymes will cease to function and all bloodcells will die.

So the question is... would dried blood apply the same effect? If yes, then so would food with the blood as an ingredient. If no, if the blood would have to be fresh, then neither would food.

But blood does not evaporate. It clots. And the less water it contains the faster it clots. Under normal circumstances, only between 40 and 60 % of the blood is water.

Lucianus
2012-04-19, 02:27 PM
The only real question here is if the blood transmits the template due to;
1) Disease-like process where a pathogen (virus, bacteria, magic microscopic blood breathing goblins, etc.) needs to physically move into the victim, or
2) Some magic or supernatural process where it is the act of imbiding the blood (eating, breathing the dry dust, etc.) that causes the effect. Kind of like a spell trigger or trap, you could say. "You do X which results in Y happening."

If the first one, any heat proccessing would most likely damage the pathogen too much for it to remain active. The second one, however, would still be valid as long as the action required (imbiding the blood) is performed. Just be aware they may try to do something like scrape up her dry blood after a battle and try to use it as a weapon or something!

If the blood must be fresh and intact, you could just have her fetch the party a big bottle of red wine or cranberry juice. :smallwink:

Geostationary
2012-04-19, 04:09 PM
2) Some magic or supernatural process where it is the act of imbiding the blood (eating, breathing the dry dust, etc.) that causes the effect. Kind of like a spell trigger or trap, you could say. "You do X which results in Y happening."

Similarly, ask yourself "does baking the blood cause it to lose its essential 'bloodness'"? If it keeps the traits that make the blood what it is metaphysically, it should work. If the blood is no longer "blood" ("It's bread! Not bread with a side of blood!") than it won't. You may also want to ask why they need the blood in the first place- does it carry some sort of physical agent that gives them the template, or does their consuming it ritually bind them to the fiend, at which point their mystical bond gives them the template?

nedz
2012-04-19, 04:13 PM
You could just make a victoria vampire sandwich.

Bake a cake, slice it horizontally, and spread fresh blood and cream.
Delicious :smalleek:

Mewtarthio
2012-04-19, 04:42 PM
It's demonic blood. The cooking process has to overcome its fire resistance to deal damage to it. Thus, unless the party is fond of baking things with fireballs, it should survive intact.

Morithias
2012-04-19, 05:04 PM
Or does their consuming it ritually bind them to the fiend, at which point their mystical bond gives them the template?

More or less. The god of fiends is so powerful that basically his/her blood when she's at a powerful enough state has magical properties. When you drink it you become a fiend, and as a fiend you are bound to obey her.

The original source I stole it from was very vague, apparently it's just "demon king grants you blood, you become demon". It even says it works on non-humanoids.

Eldan
2012-04-19, 07:14 PM
If I can make a suggestion?

Make a very thick, strongly flavoured gravy or sauce, let it cool down a bit, then add the blood to it. It probably won't be noticed from the taste, colour or consistency if you serve it right away.

Wyntonian
2012-04-20, 09:45 AM
I remember I was in this little dinky town in Wales having a traditional-style breakfast (ham, beans, fried tomatoes, eggs, black pudding, etc.) at this cafe, and as I was getting ready to go, I asked the owner/chef/waitress how black pudding is made. An elderly gentleman spoke up from behind me, clearly hoping for a chance to freak out the American tourist.

"Well, first you take a right awful lot of pig's blood..."

I think I disappointed him by not squealing.

So, yes, you can cook with blood. Sometimes it even comes out pretty decent.

SilverLeaf167
2012-04-21, 12:28 AM
I believe this (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120123141530AA8ww66) is revelant.
Disturbing, but relevant...

Kind of.

QuidEst
2012-04-23, 08:28 AM
If I were a player, I would call shenanigans. Drinking something and eating it after it's been baked or whatever is considerably different. Simple example being wine- you can cook with it, and you don't end up with something alcoholic. If the property is physical, I wouldn't really expect it to hold up. That sort of thing is going to take awfully complicated enzymes or even something parasitic, not just a toxin. If the property is magical (which seems a lot more likely), I would expect drinking to be an actual requirement. Maybe even willful drinking, requiring an engineered emergency.

Rule of thumb being that if you are going to mess with alignment and/or how the players play their characters, err on the side of caution.

Jarawara
2012-04-23, 04:06 PM
You make gravy from the juices of meat. What juices would be flowing through the flesh of a beast? Blood. So gravy is already cooked blood, with some flour added.

I look at it as how little we have changed from savage to civilization.

Barbarians drink blood.
Civilized people... make gravy.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-23, 04:47 PM
So, I hate to be the odd one to ask, but why not add it to meat or tamatoe soup? Something thats already red or pink. And wouldn't it be more dramatic if she served them bloodberry bread? red bread!(it even rhymes~).
If your worried about them getting into an arguement over baking, what about the nature of what your doing. Do they have a chance to roleplay eating it, or catching her? I don't always think about eating after the fight, but if somethings special about what I'm eating I wanna hear that!
As a side note... I actually did get caught by the same curse and trick once before. I let any problems slide becuase it was all fun in the end :smallsmile:, but it was a lengthy gig and took some drama and time.

Morithias
2012-04-23, 08:50 PM
So, I hate to be the odd one to ask, but why not add it to meat or tamatoe soup? Something thats already red or pink. And wouldn't it be more dramatic if she served them bloodberry bread? red bread!(it even rhymes~).
If your worried about them getting into an arguement over baking, what about the nature of what your doing. Do they have a chance to roleplay eating it, or catching her? I don't always think about eating after the fight, but if somethings special about what I'm eating I wanna hear that!
As a side note... I actually did get caught by the same curse and trick once before. I let any problems slide becuase it was all fun in the end :smallsmile:, but it was a lengthy gig and took some drama and time.

You all have such good ideas.

All the "baking" comes from an Ultima game, where a glitch lets you use blood instead of water to bake bread. (I think it was Ultima Seven).

They will have a chance to catch her, but it really depends how stupid they are.

Basically my plan was for her to say she needs to use the bakery for something, and for them not to peak in, if they do, they make hide checks and she makes spot checks, etc. If they don't, she bakes them a cake, or cookies, or something like that with her demonic corrupting blood and tries to feed it to them...and if they're foolish enough to eat it...they get the template, which means two things 1. They can never attack her, and 2. If she awakens fully they are her servants at least until some hero or god manages to kill the god of fiends starting the cycle over.

So yeah, I'm not just going to poison them or anything like that, it really just depends on how stupid and trusting they are of the girl when she's in stages 4 and 5.

Mike_G
2012-04-23, 10:38 PM
You make gravy from the juices of meat. What juices would be flowing through the flesh of a beast? Blood. So gravy is already cooked blood, with some flour added.

I look at it as how little we have changed from savage to civilization.

Barbarians drink blood.
Civilized people... make gravy.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

As a medic and a cook, I have to correct this.

The "juices" you get in the pan when you cook meat are not blood. There's a lot of rendered fat, and interstitial fluid with a few blood cells in it. Your body is mostly water, much of that water is in the cells. When cells break down, they leak that fluid out.

Blood is thick, dark red and viscous. Jus, which is what the roast leaves in the pan is thin, and pink tinged.

When they slaughter an animal, the blood is drained out. It's not in the tissues, most of it is in the blood vessels. Most meat is hung to dry and age, so what little blood is left in the capillary beds will drain out.

You can cook blood. All pastoral cultures do something with it, since it's too much free nutrition to waste if you're slaughtering an animal. Not so long ago, that may have been the difference between starving to death and not. Black pudding is basically blood sausage.

So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.

Aux-Ash
2012-04-23, 11:44 PM

Speaking as someone from a culture that does in fact both make soup and bread from blood I can assure you. Both are black. Not red.

dethkruzer
2012-04-25, 02:03 PM
So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.

Can I quote this?

Morithias
2012-04-25, 02:11 PM
Speaking as someone from a culture that does in fact both make soup and bread from blood I can assure you. Both are black. Not red.

Although he does bring up a good point. What color would a god of fiend's blood be...the fiendish codex 2 says that Baator's first level is "stained red" after every battle with the demons..but at the same time she could easily have green or even black blood!

Then again her base race is human, (even though she's an outsider...it's complex to explain) so her blood would be the same color as a normal humans maybe...

hmmm I may have to think this over a bit...

Mike_G
2012-04-25, 06:51 PM
Can I quote this?

By all means.

dgnslyr
2012-04-25, 11:38 PM
Offer the players some pig's blood cake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding#Asia). It's served on a popsicle stick, how could you say no? Guaranteed to trap Taiwanese players! Serve it at a festival at a stall, and say it's a cultural thing. Who would think anything odd of it?

--Lime--
2012-04-26, 03:24 AM
You all have such good ideas.

All the "baking" comes from an Ultima game, where a glitch lets you use blood instead of water to bake bread. (I think it was Ultima Seven).

They will have a chance to catch her, but it really depends how stupid they are.

Basically my plan was for her to say she needs to use the bakery for something, and for them not to peak in, if they do, they make hide checks and she makes spot checks, etc. If they don't, she bakes them a cake, or cookies, or something like that with her demonic corrupting blood and tries to feed it to them...and if they're foolish enough to eat it...they get the template, which means two things 1. They can never attack her, and 2. If she awakens fully they are her servants at least until some hero or god manages to kill the god of fiends starting the cycle over.

Why are you making this about the other PCs? Would her character know what their blood would do if baked? Would her character know if it would make bread go dry or dark or burned or noticable? Don't tell her the outcome before she tries. If her character has some knowledge of the matter, let her roll for how accurately she can predict it.

To me, it'd be far more interesting if she thought she'd come up with a great plan, bakes the bread, gives it to the PCs, and then gets discovered - rather than her character disappearing off to the bakery for a while, and then after the party sit down to eat, she gets a load of servants (if the PCs trust her/fail their rolls)

Doorhandle
2012-04-26, 04:11 AM
Why all the hassle? Just drop it in the wine.