PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish an E6 Swift Hunter

Hassassin
2012-04-19, 08:36 AM
Hi people, I'm currently building a Swift Hunter for a new E6 game, and I need help with the last level. The actual build now is Scout 4/ Ranger 1, but I don't know what to do with the last level...
I've been looking for a PrC that gave me another d6 skirmish damage, but I haven't found any. Do you know of any PrC that would give me that extra d6?
If not, how do I end my build? I'm not gonna dip Cleric for Travel Devotion because it doesn't fit my character, but I'm open to suggestions.
Sourcebooks are all 3.5 books, except for setting ones. Dragon mags are also out.
Thanks in advance!

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-19, 09:00 AM
If you're a Melee Swift Hunter, a level in Spirit Lion Barbarian is always nice for Pounce and Rage. If you're Ranged Swift Hunter, a level of Whirling Frenzy Barbarian is nice too. Barbarian is, in general, pretty good for mundanes :smallsmile:

Darrin
2012-04-19, 09:29 AM
Hi people, I'm currently building a Swift Hunter for a new E6 game, and I need help with the last level. The actual build now is Scout 4/ Ranger 1, but I don't know what to do with the last level...
I've been looking for a PrC that gave me another d6 skirmish damage, but I haven't found any. Do you know of any PrC that would give me that extra d6?

Unseen Seer 1 can do it, but you'd need at least an arcane caster level somewhere to qualify. Something like Scout 3/Wizard 1/Ranger 1/Unseen Seer 1 might work, but then you wouldn't have 5 levels of Scout/Ranger and only have 1d6 skirmish damage to begin with. You might be able to get around that with Magical Training + Sanctum Spell.

Hmm. There's a Halfling Monk substitution level in Races of the Wild that gives 1d6 skirmish damage, but only on unarmed strikes. A Halfling Monk 1/Scout 4/Ranger 1 would get 3d6 skirmish damage on unarmed strikes.

If not, how do I end my build? I'm not gonna dip Cleric for Travel Devotion because it doesn't fit my character, but I'm open to suggestions.

Eh... Barbarian 1 for Whirling Frenzy (and maybe Pounce if this is a melee Swift Hunter). Or Warblade 1 for Sudden Leap.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-19, 12:15 PM
If you are able to use gnorman's classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215986#post11881641) you could look at the Pelast archetype Hunter. It has full BAB, dex to ranged damage, a scout's skirmish plus some fun thrown weapon abilities.

So, you get 2d6 skirmish (4d6 if you take improved skirmish), ability to full attack as a move action after moving at least 10ft (with thrown weapons), full BAB, a ranged power attack, dex to damage, and some more goodies.

GnomeGninjas
2012-04-19, 08:24 PM
Unseen Seer 1 can do it, but you'd need at least an arcane caster level somewhere to qualify. Something like Scout 3/Wizard 1/Ranger 1/Unseen Seer 1 might work, but then you wouldn't have 5 levels of Scout/Ranger and only have 1d6 skirmish damage to begin with. You might be able to get around that with Magical Training + Sanctum Spell.

Hmm. There's a Halfling Monk substitution level in Races of the Wild that gives 1d6 skirmish damage, but only on unarmed strikes. A Halfling Monk 1/Scout 4/Ranger 1 would get 3d6 skirmish damage on unarmed strikes.

Eh... Barbarian 1 for Whirling Frenzy (and maybe Pounce if this is a melee Swift Hunter). Or Warblade 1 for Sudden Leap.

Why do you need the scout levels? Halfling monk + ranger qualifies you for swift hunter and I don't think that the scout class features are worth another -1 base attack bonus. Halfling monk lets you use an item in magic item compendium or arms and equipment guide I'm not sure which. It is called sparring dummy of the master or something like that and it lets you 10 ft. step.

nedz
2012-04-21, 08:12 AM
Its probably a bit late to start hunting for PrCs as you have no opportunities to buy feats or even skill points before you level (unless you haven't actually leveled to 5th yet ?) and so may find it hard to qualify.

Also: What race are you ?

It may be an idea just to take a level of Rogue or something just to get you +1d6 sneak, which you may be able to add sometimes.
Spellthief or Ninja are other options here - YMMV.

Scout 5 for Evasion may still be your best option ?

unundindur
2012-04-21, 08:52 AM
Not that is it a Swift Hunter, but this is my swift hunter build :smallwink:

Ranger1/Fighter1/Warblade4

Take the alternate feature in Unearthed Arcane that exchanges the fighters feat for sneak attack, and take the feat that gives a stance in another school to grab Assassin's stance as soon as possible. That gives you 3d6 sneak attack and +6 BaB. This of course is before things like Craven feat and Hit and Run tactics alternate class feature from Drow of the Underdark, and Ranger alternate class feature from Cityscape.

All in all you get a very dangerous and relatively swift hunter ;)

Cieyrin
2012-04-21, 01:18 PM
I was going to suggest Peregrine Runner or Highland Stalker but they don't get their first skirmish dice till level 2. Besides Unseen Seer, going for Scout 5 for Evasion and going for Improved Skirmish and picking up Skirmisher Boots and Gloves of Agile Striking to boost your Skirmishing potential, as well as Quicksilver Boots and a Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker.

Alternatively, Dervish, while feat heavy, is possible as a level 6 entry that can get you one more mobile full attack, though it's pretty much melee-only.