PDA

View Full Version : Goliath?

Thump
2012-04-19, 09:31 AM
Could someone make a quick post as to what the Goliath is? I've never heard of them, but they're mentioned a lot on the forums. Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Malachei
2012-04-19, 09:33 AM
A big race of nomadic people who live in the mountains.

They are medium-sized, but some aspects of them work as if they are a large-sized creature, giving them many bonuses.

Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=2) is a Races of Stone excerpt with information.

FMArthur
2012-04-19, 10:51 AM
Goliaths are similar to half-giants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) in their purpose and ability, but are slightly more martially-focused with no psionic traits. Both are LA+1 races and both are Medium with an identical Powerful Build racial trait, with bonuses and penalties to the same ability scores.

Goliaths' ability score adjustments are +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con. They are Monstrous Humanoids, so they come with Darkvision 60ft by default, and they also have an ability that lets them make standing jumps as if running. The rest of the statblock are minor things so that's the gist of it right there.

They have some exclusive racial feats that not many people use (they're just 'get reroll on this x/day' feats), but they do get a couple of strong racial substitution levels in Barbarian and Rogue, most notably a Rage variant that turns Powerful Build into actual Large size for the duration.

danzibr
2012-04-19, 11:10 AM
They have some exclusive racial feats that not many people use (they're just 'get reroll on this x/day' feats), but they do get a couple of strong racial substitution levels in Barbarian and Rogue, most notably a Rage variant that turns Powerful Build into actual Large size for the duration.
And the rogue sub levels are really cool, if not necessarily that good.

Person_Man
2012-04-19, 12:03 PM
The primary reason to play a Goliath (or Half Giant) is for access to the Knockback feat from Races of Stone (the same book they are printed in). It requires Large+ size (which generally costs LA +2 or more) or the Powerful Build racial feature. It grants you a free Bull Rush whenever you Power Attack, which is a phenomenal way to keep enemies away from you at low-mid levels, Trip enemies when combined with Shock Trooper, and can deal massive damage when combined with the Fighter 6 Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature (from Dungeonscape).

Having played one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22), I would say that it's a decent choice for any build that wants to focus on Bull Rush. But I would not suggest using Dungeoncrasher. The damage is so ridiculous that it makes combat very difficult for your DM to balance.

Malachei
2012-04-19, 12:35 PM
Another primary reason to play a Goliath would be to gain the Mountain Rage Barbarian ACF, which makes you large size and gives you reach while you rage. Combined with a good Dex and Combat Reflexes, you can now AoO. Perhaps with Stand Still.

Also, Goliaths can use large weapons. A large Goliath Greathammer deals 3d6.

Now go Leap Attack & Shock Trooper for additional "ouch".

Dusk Eclipse
2012-04-19, 12:46 PM
While Goliath's are great barbarians, I find hilarious that you can use Stobeblessed (prestige class from RoS) with any class and be eligible for that ACF.

That is the keystone of a Hulk build, which starts with a Str 8 halfling, who when he rages becomes large and get massive strength bonus (IIRC it had frenziend berserker and War hulk levels).

Person_Man
2012-04-19, 01:45 PM
Another primary reason to play a Goliath would be to gain the Mountain Rage Barbarian ACF, which makes you large size and gives you reach while you rage. Combined with a good Dex and Combat Reflexes, you can now AoO. Perhaps with Stand Still.

Also, Goliaths can use large weapons. A large Goliath Greathammer deals 3d6.

Now go Leap Attack & Shock Trooper for additional "ouch".

Meh. The increased reach and damage can be duplicated many other ways without using a Level Adjusted race. But I did hear about someone doing a Druid X//Something X/War Hulk Y in a gestalt game. Since War Hulk requires Large or bigger size, the PrC only existed when they Wildshaped into an appropriately sized creature (granting massive Str bonuses). I suppose you could pull off the same thing similar with Mountain Rage.

Malachei
2012-04-19, 01:51 PM
Meh. The increased reach and damage can be duplicated many other ways without using a Level Adjusted race. But I did hear about someone doing a Druid X//Something X/War Hulk Y in a gestalt game. Since War Hulk requires Large or bigger size, the PrC only existed when they Wildshaped into an appropriately sized creature (granting massive Str bonuses). I suppose you could pull off the same thing similar with Mountain Rage.

Yes, but Goliath brings other good stuff to the package.

And the same goes for Knockback: You can easily achieve good battlefield control through other means.