PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a Lycanthrope PC

ajfonty
2012-04-19, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions regarding lycanthropes as PCs.

1) Before it's even considered, are lycanthropes any good as PCs? I'd assume the base class would have to be a barbarian/fighter type of thing for it to even work.

2a) The player could theoretically chose what animal his were-form is. That being said, I get the impression you need to take animal HD levels equal to the animal HD of the form you wish to use. So, if the PCs were starting at level 6, the maximum animal HD the PC could take is 3, because level 1 class + 2 LA + 3 animal HD = 6, correct? So, the player could, at most, be a were-bear, were-cheetah, were-dire weasel, etc, unless he took a form with less HD (such as a were-wolf).

2b) Naturally, I assume the PC can't "change" his animal form once the character is created, so depending on the level that the PCs start, the lycanthrope is more or less locked into a form that fits the above parameters?

Thanks in advance.

dspeyer
2012-04-19, 10:33 AM
I haven't tried playing a lycanthrope, but it looks viable for melee. A LA 2 / Black Bear 3 / Fighter 1 has bab +3 and racial str +4 so attacks at +7, compared to a straight fighter at +6. It's less appealing if you're going ToB, and missing out on maneuver levels.

You've got the rules right. And Black Bear is indeed one of the best 3hd choices. Crocodile is also worth considering, and Pteranadon if Serpent Kingdoms is allowed.

If you would like to be able to change form, consider playing a druid or wildshape ranger (UA), possibly prestiging into Master of Many Forms. Actually consider that in any case -- it's pretty awesome.

Pilo
2012-04-19, 10:49 AM
Well, you don't have to get PC class, you can play a lycanthropes with 4HD and +2LA at Lvl6.

Fighter 6 will have +4 warrior bonus feat, +6 Bab and 6d10 HDs.

Lycanthropes 6 will have +2Wis, +2 natural armor (or more while hybrid or animal), low light vision, scent, eventual bonus feats and in hybrid or animal form: bonus to characteristics, 5 or 10 DR silver and (a) natural weapon(s).
If afflicted: 4d8 HDs +3 Bab
If natural: 3d8 HDs +2 Bab

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-19, 10:52 AM
1) Warblade, Crusader, and Swordsage are all good choices. Some sort of Scout/Swift Hunter build would also be decent, probably depending on Pounce. Definitely get a few levels of Warshaper from Complete Warrior.

2a) Yes, you have to take the animal HD. Yes, a Lycanthrope PC should get to pick what type of lycanthrope his character is. Note that there's a template at the end of the creature entry in the Monster Manual for making lycanthropes based on different animals. For example, a low HD choice would be a Serval from Sandstorm plus any small size race, preferably a Whisper Gnome in Races of Stone, which makes an extremely stealthy character.

2b) You cannot change your race during play, including what type of animal your lycanthrope changes into. If starting at a lower level, use one of the template classes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp) to gradually gain your chosen lycanthropy.

If you want a character with a lycanthrope feel but don't need the lycanthrope mechanics, Quasilycanthrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) is only +1 LA and no HD.

White_Drake
2012-04-19, 01:13 PM
You don't have to be a fighter. I play an excellent thief werepanther. Also, you could play a halfling werecat thief.

Thiyr
2012-04-19, 01:27 PM
Even if you're keeping yourself to more mundane choices, the Weredog (or Werejackal, or what have you) is a surprisingly solid choice. Low HD, higher stat mods than a wolf. Granted, you lose the special attack when in animal form, but still, a good consideration. Made for a solid rogue/swordsage when I was playing one.