PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands d20...........

Empedocles
2012-04-19, 04:14 PM
Okay...I've read some stuff, both here and elsewhere, that suggests that Deadlands d20 is not the optimal system for Deadlands. However, I've seen less opinions that say that the actual mechanics are either broken or bad. Mostly, the issues seem to originate with Deadlands (original/reloaded) fans who think the d20 edition betrayed the feel. I agree. However, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to use some d20 aspects, such as classes and especially weapons from Hell and Back d20, for a campaign where characters in a normal fantasy setting are sort of time hopping around.

The first world they come to is a sort of primal jungle that would use Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus rex as its basis. The next world is based on Swashbuckling Adventures. Then they go to the wild west, which would use Deadlands d20 as its mechanical basis (depending on what you guys have to say), with gunslingers and such. Then, finally, as a result of the antagonist's actions (who seems to exist in all these worlds, mysteriously) there's a nuclear explosion and the PCs find themselves in a Deadlands Hell and Back d20 esque world. Would this, especially the Deadlands mechanics, work?

Aegis013
2012-04-19, 05:24 PM
I've played a lot of Deadlands classic (and it's cool to see someone else who has enjoyed the game) and only have a few books that contain d20 information on Deadlands. I do have the d20 monster manual for it. The monsters have the same stat blocks as a 3.5 MM. From the looks of it, it would probably mesh fairly well with D&D 3.5's normal rules, though there are bound to be discrepancies and other problems that you, as DM, will have to adjudicate. Such as monsters with CR x and stats and abilities unreasonable for a D&D monster of that challenge rating.

Assuming you feel you are up to the task, it would be a reasonable, and potentially very fun thing to do. However if the 3.5 classes work similar to 3.5 and the Deadlands "classes" work similar to the old archetypes, you should see the 3.5 group able to mostly tear apart anything of typical ability via spells in your wild west world. Though you can always play up the lynch mob aspect, not that it will really frighten any 3.5 tier 1 casters.

I think it could be fun due to having brand spankin' new types of NPCs around and excellent roleplay opportunity, but I suspect it will be a bit of a challenge for you to prevent or smooth out the awkwardness of the mesh.

eggs
2012-04-19, 07:26 PM
I don't have the book, and it's been about a decade since I played it.

Isn't it basically the epitome of "d20 clone #XXX" syndrome? I remember it just being 3.0 minus the magic gear, plus some small-scale flavor tweaks.

So its problems are basically the standard batch you get with any generic d20 clone - exaggerated swinginess, fiddly modifiers, binary success mechanics, dissociated mechanics/fiction, extended combat mechanics, flippant noncombat mechanics, certain areas where the system just gets in the way.

It's also kind of boring. After a few levels, guns don't hurt much and every attack hits. Without hucksters, there's a lot of just hanging around waiting for the damage dice to add up to the villain's HP.

I am not a fan of d20 Modern, but it would work much better for this (or at least stealing its wound system and scaling ACs). If Modern has a mechanic for resolving chase scenes, I'd take that too.

Empedocles
2012-04-19, 08:45 PM
I've played a lot of Deadlands classic (and it's cool to see someone else who has enjoyed the game) and only have a few books that contain d20 information on Deadlands. I do have the d20 monster manual for it. The monsters have the same stat blocks as a 3.5 MM. From the looks of it, it would probably mesh fairly well with D&D 3.5's normal rules, though there are bound to be discrepancies and other problems that you, as DM, will have to adjudicate. Such as monsters with CR x and stats and abilities unreasonable for a D&D monster of that challenge rating.

Assuming you feel you are up to the task, it would be a reasonable, and potentially very fun thing to do. However if the 3.5 classes work similar to 3.5 and the Deadlands "classes" work similar to the old archetypes, you should see the 3.5 group able to mostly tear apart anything of typical ability via spells in your wild west world. Though you can always play up the lynch mob aspect, not that it will really frighten any 3.5 tier 1 casters.

I think it could be fun due to having brand spankin' new types of NPCs around and excellent roleplay opportunity, but I suspect it will be a bit of a challenge for you to prevent or smooth out the awkwardness of the mesh.

Yeah I'm expecting some awkwardness with the rules, especially with the caster strain and spell points.

I am not a fan of d20 Modern, but it would work much better for this (or at least stealing its wound system and scaling ACs). If Modern has a mechanic for resolving chase scenes, I'd take that too.

I'm not a big fan of d20 modern :smallfrown: And since it wasn't designed to be compatible with 3.5, there'd be even more awkwardness with the rules.