PDA

View Full Version : Help with optimizing a double weapon Favored Soul...no, really.

Jergmo
2012-04-19, 04:58 PM
In my campaign, I'm working on a Favored Soul that is relevant to an NPC from my last campaign. This character was held captive as a child by a lich bard at the head of a necromantic cult, and her older brother was a Dirgesinger, obligated to serve due to what would happen to his sister, the character now in question, should he resist the lich's whims. When her older brother was killed by the players, dear Branwen was useless. The lich used his touch on her and then left her to die - but as young Branwen's life force ebbed, she came in contact with Rector, God of Death, Guide and Speaker for the Dead - an enemy of the God the lich served. Rector saved her, and from there on, she grew up to become a Favored Soul. Rector's favored weapon is a staff, and I thought it would be neat to have her use a canestaff as a double weapon.

This is the build I have presently (defense bonus and spell points variants from Unearthed Arcana in use, and a house rule making it so Dodge is an all-around bonus - additionally, staves are finessable.)

I was thinking of going for the Elusive Target feat. I was wondering, though, if anyone had tips that would help her effectiveness as a character. Her Wisdom is dumped, but she's going for purely support/buff spellcasting.

Branwen Odilon: 3rd level human favored soul. CR: 4 - 3,000/6,000 XP - True Neutral
HP: 20 Init: +2 AC: 19 (+2 Dex, +5 defense bonus, +1 Dodge, +1 bracers of armor)
Attack: Masterwork canestaff +7 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Masterwork/masterwork canestaff +5/+5 melee (1d6+3/1d6+1)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Str 16, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Concentration +6, Diplomacy +8, Perform (stringed instruments) +12, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +8
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Dodge, Travel Devotion, Weapon Focus (canestaff)
Masterwork darkwood fiddle (+2, +5 Perform), potion of bull's strength x2

Mana Pool: 9 points, 6 orisons
0—create water, detect magic, guidance, light, purify food and drink; 1st—cure light wounds, divine favor, protection from evil, shield of faith.

Flaws: Hauntings of the Past (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hauntings_of_the_Past), Nyctophobia (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Nyctophobia_%283.5e_Flaw%29)

Studoku
2012-04-19, 07:58 PM
What sources are allowed for this? You have flaws from d&dwiki- I'm curious as to how much your DM's allowing from there.

If you're playing a support character, don't get trapped into the role of healbot. You're far more effective if you can prevent damage being done by getting enemies down sooner than you are handing out band-aids. Take one of the Vigor spells for heals, and dedicate the rest of your list to actual buff spells. The same goes for stuff like Remove Disease- get scrolls for anything that situational.

I'm not sure how necessary finesse is for this build. While you need dex for TWF, you're better off using strength for your attacks. If not, you'll need to add bonus damage to your attacks from somewhere else- no matter how many attacks you get, you're not going to be effective if they're only dealing 1d6 each. Clerics have very good spells to raise their strength to ridiculous levels- Divine Power + Righteous Might add +10 between them.

Jergmo
2012-04-19, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry for not making it clear before - I'm actually the DM and this will be a recurring NPC. So, anything under the sun if it's not terribly cheesy.

Jessica1990
2012-04-19, 08:37 PM
I am here to learn.Thanks for sharing.

Jergmo
2012-04-19, 09:10 PM
Hey, welcome to the Playground.

*I need to have at least 15 Dex for TWF, so that's why I had 16 Dex originally. I could just switch it from Weapon Finesse to Mobility assuming Elusive Target, and rely on spells for Strength.

Alternatively, I could sacrifice points in Con to have Str 16 and Dex 15. That'd...be sacrificing points of Con, though. Thoughts?

Str 16, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14

eggs
2012-04-20, 12:44 AM
Elusive Target is neat for villains. Once in a while (don't need to make power attackers useless).

I could see mobility being an issue. Travel Devotion would be handy - especially if the NPC is only going to be showing up in combat 1/day. The Updraft and Knight's Move spells can also be quite useful for minor movement.

Improved Trip is really nice, but I'm not sure it's going to be much use here. +6 isn't a reliable bonus on a d20, and without a trip weapon, failure can get nasty.

Jergmo
2012-04-20, 07:51 AM
Couldn't I get the +4 bonus for using it with a single attack as a 2-handed weapon? I'm picturing her opening with a trip attack, and then giving a good ol' one-two once she can full attack.

I was thinking specifically about a cane staff (http://www.all4lessshop.com/itemimagesres/DHAR-12019_im2_359.jpg). I figured the hooked end would lend to it being a trip weapon.

I have this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVT2yczMpA) video as an example: it seems to me the female martial artist with the cane is going for his legs, maybe to trip him, at 12 seconds in.

Also, Rector does have the Travel domain, so Travel Devotion works rather well. Updating statblock.

eggs
2012-04-22, 01:12 AM
If it's a trip weapon, it'll work nicely. And dropping the weapon when the dice go badly is way less bad than getting knocked prone for trying something different.