PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Killer Gnome (vs larger size build)

Aasmius
2012-04-19, 08:08 PM
I have read a build or two but haven't seen anything for a gestalt build.

At the moment I am looking at the following classes
Swashbuckler/Factutom/SwordSage/Blade Bravo
(I even thought Warblade, but think i am trying for too much)

I am aiming for the following feats
Underfoot Combat/GiantBane/Confound the Big Folk
BB will require combat expertise

Whisper gnome would be my race of choice

We are starting at lvl 6 GESTALT

I have this idea written out a few ways on paper but would really like others thoughts on this. Perhaps i am missing a better way to build this or just plan over looking something.

Flickerdart
2012-04-19, 08:13 PM
Swashbuckler only has one ability, and it isn't worth the 3 levels you need to get it. Warblade is better than Swordsage as a complement to Factotum.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-19, 08:16 PM
I see 'Killer Gnome', but I see a lack of Shadowcaster... I am confused.

Aasmius
2012-04-19, 08:18 PM
That being said i feel the swashbuckler adds feel to the character, but i will revisit this.

Warblade is nice, but i feel the Swordsage's disciplines work better.
Shadow Hand and Setting Sun

Flickerdart
2012-04-19, 08:26 PM
Killer Gnome's the one that gets real tiny and stabs people in the knees for ridiculous tons of damage, isn't it?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-19, 08:28 PM
That being said i feel the swashbuckler adds feel to the character, but i will revisit this.

Warblade is nice, but i feel the Swordsage's disciplines work better.
Shadow Hand and Setting Sun

If you are doing a half-pint shanker, I'd suggest Strongheart Halfling, as it nets a bonus feat and Dex bonus. That way, you can leverage Shadow Blade to be able to safely dump Str.

A Rogue dip also nets you sneak attack. Getting opponents flat-footed or flanked shouldn't be too difficult with Island of Blades. If Craven is on the table, it's a great way to increase damage output.

Aegis013
2012-04-19, 08:28 PM

I also entered the thread expecting Shadowcraft Mage PrC.

Something like Factotum 2/Warblade 1/Factotum 6/Blade Bravo 10/(Factotum +1 or anything else you might want)//Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 17 should cover everything you mentioned. Feel free to change it up of course, being your character.

You can change Warblade for Swordsage. Just grab the Blade Bravo prereqs before going in (you can get them all at level 1 if flaws are allowed) then pick up Underfoot combat stuff as you go from there. With Swordsage you can get weapon focus rapier from Discipline Focus in Diamond Mind.

Aasmius
2012-04-19, 08:29 PM
Correct. What book does one find this Shadowcaster? Could be worth a read.

Jack_Simth
2012-04-19, 08:30 PM
I see 'Killer Gnome', but I see a lack of Shadowcaster... I am confused.The most likely case is that the OP is unfamiliar with the Named Build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864158/Shadowcraft_Illusionist_=_Killer_Gnome!), and it's a coincidence, with the OP looking for a solid build with a bent towards giant slaying.

Aegis013
2012-04-19, 08:31 PM
Correct. What book does one find this Shadowcaster? Could be worth a read.

Shadowcraft Mage is Races of Stone.
Shadowcrafter is Underdark, both are typically used in the powerful Killer Gnome magic user build.

Aasmius
2012-04-19, 08:37 PM
I guess its more of a "i may be tiny buy you're dead" build

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-19, 08:43 PM
I guess its more of a "i may be tiny buy you're dead" build

See previous suggestion on rogue dip and Strongheart Halfling, using Island of Blades for flanking purposes, and Shadow Blade to remove Str dependency on attack damage.

Keld Denar
2012-04-19, 09:29 PM
Strongheart Halflings can't becomes Blade Bravos, though, which have the awesome size advantage feature at level 5. Every size catagory between you and your foe results in massive bonuses to AC.

Well, unless you are Stoneblessed. I don't think thats worth it, though. If you want to abuse Stoneblessed, go with Kobold instead. 30' movement, and Slight Build counts you as 1 size smaller than you really are for even more bonuses.

You might want to look up the Blade Bravo Iron Optimization challenge thread. There are a lot of good ideas. Most of the REALLY good ones involve Psionic classes to gain the benefits of Compression. My favorite of them was the Anthro-Monkey one, though. Being able to take 10 on climb checks with a hefty racial bonus to them is awesome for the Climb Aboard feature of Giantbane.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-20, 12:39 AM
Strongheart Halflings can't becomes Blade Bravos, though, which have the awesome size advantage feature at level 5. Every size catagory between you and your foe results in massive bonuses to AC.Wait, we're still worrying about AC with Swordsage and Setting Sun to Just Say No to melee?

Well, unless you are Stoneblessed. I don't think thats worth it, though. If you want to abuse Stoneblessed, go with Kobold instead. 30' movement, and Slight Build counts you as 1 size smaller than you really are for even more bonuses.I agree, it's not worth going to Stoneblessed for.

You might want to look up the Blade Bravo Iron Optimization challenge thread. There are a lot of good ideas. Most of the REALLY good ones involve Psionic classes to gain the benefits of Compression. My favorite of them was the Anthro-Monkey one, though. Being able to take 10 on climb checks with a hefty racial bonus to them is awesome for the Climb Aboard feature of Giantbane.

Now that's a clever trick.