PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items and skills

Arakune
2012-04-19, 08:17 PM
So, I was planning to make goggles that would give me a +20 bonus to spot. Now, I'd also like the prospect of having another item with +20 bonus to listen, but I need to put both bonuses on my goggles.

How do I price this?

I know a ring can have pretty much anything on it, but what about other body slots?

Aegis013
2012-04-19, 09:32 PM
This is something you're going to need to discuss with your DM. There aren't hard and fast guidelines to making skill bonus custom items, as they seem to not have any real set pattern based on when I did something similar. Just look at what other magic items offer for what price with your DM, and try to come up with something you both deem reasonable for the slot, type, amount of skill bonus.

Edit: Or maybe there are hard and fast guidelines and I just didn't know about them.

Jeraa
2012-04-19, 09:52 PM
A +20 bonus to a skill costs (bonus squared x 100gp), so 40,000 gold. So a pair of goggles that grants a +20 bonus on Spot checks costs 40,000gp.

Adding a second ability increases the cost of that ability by 50%, so adding on +20 to Listen checks costs an additional 60,000 gold, bringing the item up to 100,000gp.

You could have to increase the cost of the Listen bonus by 50% because of Body Slot Affinities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#bodySlotAffinities). That would bring the cost up to 130,000 gp.