PDA

View Full Version : The most interesting genres you've encountered

Das Platyvark
2012-04-19, 08:51 PM
What I'm looking for are the strangest things you've come across that are widespread enough to be registered as 'genres'. In fiction, I can't think of anything much stranger, or more intriguing, than biopunk, especially when it gets into the more fantastic realms of organic technology (like China Miéville's Embassytown, or the stranger parts of Cylon tech in BSG). In music, we have Taqwacore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqwacore), which I found intriguing, though not all to my taste. Gypsy Punk also springs to mind, for all you Gogol Bordello fans.

Fri
2012-04-19, 09:25 PM
Interesting genre? Or interestingly-weird/unusual genre? Because, like, Detective mystery is still one of my favourite genre ever and I consider it most interesting.

But anyway, my favourite 'interesting' genre is alien fiction. That is, fiction written from the point of view of something non human. If it's just written as if it's written by human with strange names, it's bad, but if it the writer understand how non-human viewpoint might be different, like, in one of my favourite book ever, Watership Down, it's usually instant favourite.

Das Platyvark
2012-04-19, 09:42 PM
Interesting genre? Or interestingly-weird/unusual genre? Because, like, Detective mystery is still one of my favourite genre ever and I consider it most interesting.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking of the weird ones here; stuff people are unlikely to have heard of, but struck you for whatever reason.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-19, 11:04 PM
Dark Cabaret? Basically, take 1930s Brechtian/Kurt Weill style vaudeville. Then Throw it through a blender, throw it through punk and goth (which are already SO influenced by that period), then dress it up with victoriana, and you have Dark Cabaret. Artists to look into: the Dresden Dolls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gPZPKJc0s&ob=av2e), Emilie Autumn, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whr5ulaDBCE), Birdeatsbaby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjuBV4NbCng), and the Tiger Lillies. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjNkyo2E08&feature=fvst)

Science Officer
2012-04-19, 11:39 PM
You mentioned China Mieville, and I'd have to agree.
Weird Fiction and New Weird. Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.
What more could you want?

Eldan
2012-04-20, 12:36 AM
I like most genres that end in -punk, if they are done correctly.

Too many writers, especially on the internet, seem to focus on the Steam in Steampunk and forget the punk part. It has to be dark and horrible too, or it doesn't qualify.

So, Clockpunk, Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Biopunk, Teslapunk, whatever.

Eldan
2012-04-20, 12:38 AM

Too many writers, especially on the internet, seem to focus on the Steam in Steampunk and forget the punk part. It has to be dark and horrible too, or it doesn't qualify.

So, Clockpunk, Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Biopunk, Teslapunk, whatever.

Feytalist
2012-04-20, 02:49 AM
I'm also a bit of a sucker for cyberpunk and steampunk, but it's relatively well known these days.

As for music, I'd go for the overlapping genres of ethereal wave, neoclassical darkwave and dark ambient. Some of my favourite music comes from that, but it's not to everyone's tastes. Even those that have even heard of it.

Grinner
2012-04-20, 03:56 AM

Agreed. Many have an unfortunate tendency to focus on the superficial aspects of a given genre and neglect the thematic elements. Without a concrete theme, any work will have difficulty relating a message to the audience.

AshesOfOld
2012-04-20, 05:50 AM
Musicwise, I'm becoming a big fan of Ska and balkan music, gypsy punk as well. Up-tempo polka with a buttload of trumpets and other horns. It's the best party-music I've ever encountered, especially live. Russkaja (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=russkaja&oq=russkaja&aq=f&aqi=g9g-s1&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3..0l9j0i10.3358.3358.0.4851.1.1.0.0.0.0. 98.98.1.1.0.) is worth checking out as well as Boban i Marko (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boban+i+marko+markovic+orkest ar&oq=boban+i+marko&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3.0.0l10.533.4036.0.5054.15.15.1.4.4.1.17 7.1118.3j7.10.0.)

(sorry, I don't have sound on my computer, so I can't find the right songs. But just go for what sounds loud, fast and stupid)

Das Platyvark
2012-04-20, 11:19 AM
Musicwise, I'm becoming a big fan of Ska and balkan music, gypsy punk as well. Up-tempo polka with a buttload of trumpets and other horns. It's the best party-music I've ever encountered, especially live. Russkaja (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=russkaja&oq=russkaja&aq=f&aqi=g9g-s1&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3..0l9j0i10.3358.3358.0.4851.1.1.0.0.0.0. 98.98.1.1.0.) is worth checking out as well as Boban i Marko (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boban+i+marko+markovic+orkest ar&oq=boban+i+marko&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3.0.0l10.533.4036.0.5054.15.15.1.4.4.1.17 7.1118.3j7.10.0.)

(sorry, I don't have sound on my computer, so I can't find the right songs. But just go for what sounds loud, fast and stupid)

Ever heard Slavic Soul Party?
They're a partly american band, so it's not all authentic, but Teknochek Collision is pretty much the awesomest song ever.

Mx.Silver
2012-04-22, 01:04 PM
Agreed. Many have an unfortunate tendency to focus on the superficial aspects of a given genre and neglect the thematic elements. Without a concrete theme, any work will have difficulty relating a message to the audience.

To be honest, I've never really felt steampunk has much to it beyond the superficial. While Cyberpunk has always been concerned with things like the nature of artificial elements and the effects of an ever-increasingly computerised society on the human condition, Steampunk seems largely to be just about slapping airships and cogs onto things. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just that it comes off as more of an aesthetic than a genre.

Cespenar
2012-04-22, 05:09 PM
To be honest, I've never really felt steampunk has much to it beyond the superficial. While Cyberpunk has always been concerned with things like the nature of artificial elements and the effects of an ever-increasingly computerised society on the human condition, Steampunk seems largely to be just about slapping airships and cogs onto things. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just that it comes off as more of an aesthetic than a genre.

You could use Steampunk to, let's say, tell about the industrialization, manual laborers losing their jobs and being replaced by machines, etc. but that would all have been history. We have already lived through that, and learned what there was to learn. Cyberpunk deals with the problems of now, and thus is its relevance irreplaceable, in comparison to other -punk genres (at least, the more conventional ones, because while I haven't read anything to do with biopunk, it sounds like it could be relevant as well).

Eldan
2012-04-23, 07:08 PM
Steampunk would have to be history, though. The aesthetic is essentially 19th century, so it would have to deal with those themes too.

Imperialism. Colonialism. Industrialisation. You could write a story around those.

Grinner
2012-04-23, 09:02 PM
You could use Steampunk to, let's say, tell about the industrialization, manual laborers losing their jobs and being replaced by machines, etc. but that would all have been history. We have already lived through that, and learned what there was to learn.

If you take a gander at history, you might be surprised at how little we actually learn from it, as we still make the same mistakes, over and over. :smallsigh:

Cyberpunk deals with the problems of now, and thus is its relevance irreplaceable, in comparison to other -punk genres (at least, the more conventional ones, because while I haven't read anything to do with biopunk, it sounds like it could be relevant as well).

At a certain point, the -punk genres devolve into the pedantry most music genres face.

Mx.Silver
2012-04-24, 04:43 AM
Steampunk would have to be history, though. The aesthetic is essentially 19th century, so it would have to deal with those themes too.

Imperialism. Colonialism. Industrialisation. You could write a story around those.

You could use Steampunk to, let's say, tell about the industrialization, manual laborers losing their jobs and being replaced by machines, etc.
Yes, you could use Steampunk like that. Thing is though, it generally isn't. At least not to the degree that you could safely assume that a piece of Steampunk fiction would contain any of them as a significant theme. Hence why I'd say it's more of an aesthetic than a genre.

Killer Angel
2012-04-24, 04:49 AM
In fiction, I can't think of anything much stranger, or more intriguing, than biopunk, especially when it gets into the more fantastic realms of organic technology

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYiw5vkQFPw) can be related to both, I think... :smallwink:

Cespenar
2012-04-24, 07:05 AM
Yes, you could use Steampunk like that. Thing is though, it generally isn't. At least not to the degree that you could safely assume that a piece of Steampunk fiction would contain any of them as a significant theme. Hence why I'd say it's more of an aesthetic than a genre.

Yeah, and I unfortunately agree. While the superficial aspects of Steampunk is pleasing to me, delving into the points I raised earlier would definitely make the genre a lot more richer.

If you take a gander at history, you might be surprised at how little we actually learn from it, as we still make the same mistakes, over and over. :smallsigh:

Obviously, but the point was that even if we didn't end up learning enough from it, past is always going to be held less relevant than now, with an emphasis on "held".

At a certain point, the -punk genres devolve into the pedantry most music genres face.

I'm not much for excessive labeling either, but I thought if I didn't mention it, people would feel to need to bring up that point.