PDA

View Full Version : Owlbear God

ExemplarofAvg
2012-04-19, 09:07 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558725_10150797336990289_744065288_11909963_966324 480_n.jpg

That is the picture of what I think is going to be a problem for some PC's.
My friend showed me this picture and all I thought of was it being an Epic Owlbear. I'm just wondering if you fine people of the playground could think of anything beyond Huge Size, Advanced HD and a Fly Speed.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-19, 09:56 PM
link doesn't work, try using the img code.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 10:20 PM
That's an https domain, which means it is secured.
Can ExemplarofAvg upload it to different site, like, say, photobucket or imageshack if they want us to see it?

Jeraa
2012-04-19, 10:47 PM
There is a space in the address that shouldn't be there (near the end, right before "480_n.jpg"). Removing that, the address worked fine for me.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558725_10150797336990289_744065288_11909963_966324 480_n.jpg

That work for you all?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-19, 11:03 PM
Why, so it does. Wow, that is, wow. Not quite a typical owlbear, owlbears don't have wings, nothing a little template and/or grafts can't help, but certainly epic in the true sense of the word.

Jigokuro
2012-04-19, 11:10 PM
I'll take up the challenge, as that pic is inspiring.

Adrayll
2012-04-19, 11:15 PM
Fully advance the bugger, size and HD-wise, graft some wings on, and add paragon? How high leveled is the party?

Randomguy
2012-04-20, 12:24 AM
It has the torso of a human.

I think this is a hill giant were-owl in hybrid form with the winged template. It has levels in fist of the forest, which is how it has claws.

Jigokuro
2012-04-20, 12:29 AM
Just how strong should this thing be? You say epic, do you really mean 'be a match for a party of 4 that are lvl 21+' or just 'amazing'?
Another Q: can its great power be deity-granted (partially)? the 'Monster of Legend' template (MM2) would be a great start if you could fit its attack (or guarding of a place) as being because of a God wanting it to. (I can work without it fine, but if that happens to not only fit but be perfect for you, I wanted the option to be declared.)

P.S. I'm getting into this task srs-mode. I copied out the owlbear stat block from the SRD and am applying changes correctly. You'll be delivered a standard-form full creature entry when I'm done. :smallamused:

EDIT: MoL's deific enhancement would also account for the slight torso change pointed out above.
EDIT P.S.: The winged template (SS) can't by RAW be applied to magical beasts, is the general ignoring of that from 'he 's the DM and it fits fine' or is there errata I don't know of?

Eldan
2012-04-20, 12:39 AM
Hm. Some kind of tauric template maybe, for the arms? Then mix owlbear and huge sized giant.

Eldan
2012-04-20, 12:42 AM
Hm. Some kind of tauric template maybe, for the arms? Then mix owlbear and huge sized giant.

Jigokuro
2012-04-20, 04:19 AM
Here is what I got going with the deific 'of Legend.' However, this would still be very much shaped like an owlbear+wings, not quite as humanoid as the pic (though slightly moreso than a base owlbear). I'm my research, however, I found a terrific way of creating a more humanoid manbearowl that fits perfectly, and without the divine intervention. That will have to wait until tomorrow, however, as it is after FIVE AM; I have class in a few hours. :smalleek:
GM fiat used: Winged template on a magical beast.
GM discretion used (options in various monster design/advancement sections): base speed up from 30 to 40, reach as tall (15) not long (10).

Winged Owlbear of Legend 15 / Barbarian 1
Size/Type: Huge Outsider(native)
Hit Dice: 15d10+1d12+224 (313 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 50 ft. Fly 70ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 28 (–2 size, +7 Dex, +13 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple:+16/+42
Attack: Claw +42 melee (2d6+18)
Full Attack: 2 claws +42 melee (2d6+18) and bite +40 melee (3d6+18)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, Breath Weapon, Rage 1/day
Special Qualities: Scent, Greater Damage, Immunities, Fast Movement
Saves: Fort 28, Ref 19, Will 12
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 24, Con 38, Int 4, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Listen 24, Spot 23, understand Common
37 outsider skill points remaining (listen/spot maxed)
Feats: Alertness, Track, Multi-Attack, Improved Initiative, Flyby Attack, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Stand Still
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating :Lulz
Treasure: Immeasurable pride
Alignment: Neutral or by Deity

An owlbear of legend’s coat ranges in color from blood-black to golden brown; its beak is a dull ivory color. A full-grown male can stand as tall as 28 feet and weigh up to 15,000 pounds. Adventurers who have survived encounters with the creature often speak of nothing, because they don't exist.

COMBAT

Owlbears attack prey—any creature bigger than a cat—on sight, always fighting until it is dead. They slash with claws and beak, trying to grab their prey and rip it apart; alternately, they fry it with lightning.
Against organized opponents, however, these legends are more intelligent. They combining their grab ability with flyby attack to pick off physically weak individuals. This also forces melee opponents to provoke AoOs on approach repeatedly, which may completely stop them from reaching it via standstill.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an owlbear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Breath Weapon (Ex): 3d6 electricity damage in a 15’ cone. Usable every 1d4 rounds. Reflex save DC 31 for ˝.
Greater Damage (Ex): Damage from all natural attacks is one category high than normal.
Immunities: Immunity to Electricity, Mind-Affecting Effects.
Rage (Ex): Once per day, as Barbarian. (+4 str/con, +2will, -2AC)

ExemplarofAvg
2012-04-20, 09:34 AM
Haha, I sleep one night and look what I get.
Alright so clarification time.
Party is going to be about Level 10.
So Epic and Legend stuff would be more it's appearance than actual deific stuff.
It's Pathfinder so what I did was mess around with the variant Owlbears a bit (Yeah, Variant Owlbears (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/owlbear), go figure.)

The one I'm using is an amalgam of
Siege(Base)+Arctic+Screaming+Fruss+Great Hook-Clawed+Sleeyk

That should be fine for a Optimized lv 10 Party, right?

Greater Owlbear CR ? (Hopefully about 10)
XP Uncalculated ATM
N Huge magical beast
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +25

DEFENSE
AC 20, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+8 natural, +4 Dex, –2 size)
hp 202 (15d10+120)
Fort +16, Ref +11, Will +8
Defensive Ability: Evasion, Immune to Critical Hits, Immune to Transformation Effects

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft, 30ft Fly (Poor), 20ft Climb, Swim 30ft
Melee 2 claws +24 melee (2d6+10 plus grab), bite +23 melee (2d6+10)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks rend (4d6+10)

TACTICS
Before Combat Like standard owlbears, greater owlbears are fierce and territorial attacking anything within reach.

During Combat The greater owlbear is, if anything, even more ferocious than its smaller standard cousin; it knows nothing of fear and tends to attack without provocation, slaughtering any living creatures that crosses their path.

Morale The greater owlbear fights to the death.

STATISTICS
Str 31, Dex 18, Con 25, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Base Atk +15; CMB +27 (+31 grapple); CMD 37 (41 vs. trip)
Feats Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw), Run
Skills Perception +25, +2 Stealth (+14 in areas of snow)

"You can't run, you can't hide, your only option is to stand and fight to your inevitable death, why not take a nap."

Jigokuro
2012-04-20, 10:49 AM
Well, that is fairly strong, but nothing like the pic. Added up you have a bigger, slightly sleeker, ridable, chaotic yet still animalistic, white owlbear that can use its normal arms to fly a little (while not being ridden).
I'm still going to make my other idea that fits the pic well (slightly humanoid, separate wings, some fast healing to ignore arrows, huge claws), if nothing else I'll use it myself as some point. However, it will be usable as a whole species with a base CR of only 10ish (itself advancable), so you might want to check it out.
Still in 3.5 though, I don't know PF well. Conversion for monsters are super easy though, iirc.

Andorax
2012-04-20, 11:51 AM
Needs more Kaiju (DM289)!

BIG Owlbear CR 19
N Colossal Magical Beast
Init +2; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent; Spot +51, Listen +51
--------------------------------------
AC 36, touch 4, flat-footed 34
(+2 Dex, +32 Nat, -8 Size)
hp 968 (45 HD); fast healing 20; DR 25/Epic
Immune: mind-influencing effects
Resist: Cold 50; SR 29
Fort +40, Ref +26, Will +16
Speed 30 ft.; Fly 30 ft. (poor)
Melee 2 claws +57 (3d6+20/18-20,x3) and bite +52 (3d8+10/18-20,x3)
Ranged Razor Sharp Feather +39 (4d6+20/18-20,x3) 200' range increment.
Atk Options: Improved Grab, Trample
Space 40 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Base Atk: +45; Grp +81
Abilities Str 50, Dex 14, Con 42, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 30
SQ: Scent
Feats: Alertness, Battle Roar [K], Improved Trample [K], Track, +12 more...pick amongst your favorites.
Battle Roar (Ex): As a move action, the BIG Owlbear can unleash a battle roar. Any creature of 6 HD or less within 1,200 ft. of the Big Owlbear in the round that it roars becomes shaken. Creatures of 7 or more HD have a Will save (DC 42) to resist the effect.
Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the BIG Owlbear can run over an opponent of Gargantual size or smaller. The BIG Owlbear has merely to move over the opponent. The trample does 4d12+10 damage. Trampled opponents may attempt a reflex save (DC 52) to avoid the attack, and the attack deals double damage to structures (buildings, ships, castle walls and so on).

Ok, unless they're really well optimized, this might be a bit much for a party of 10th level characters, but I just couldn't resist.

eggs
2012-04-20, 12:52 PM
This is supposed to be an Epic-level threat?

Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear

Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 32d10+224 (400)
Initiative: +4 (Improved Initiative)
Speed: fly 90 ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 55 (-2 size, +47 Deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +32/+44
Attack: Claw +42
Full Attack: 2 claws +42/+42/+38/+33/+33/+33 melee (3d6+13+1d4 negative levels) and bite +37 (1d8+13)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Pointy Ectoplasm, Spirit Wrassling, Up Claws and Personal, Spooky Spirit Ghostclaws
Special Qualities: Spooky Mind Jump, Nightmaritude, Recurring Nightbear, Scent, SR 37, DR 15/Epic, Immunity to negative energy, acid, ability damage, ability drain, petrification and polymorph effects. Resistance to fire 10, cold 10, electricity 10 and sonic 10.
Saves: Fort +25, Ref +18, Will +17 (+29 against mind effects)
Abilities: Str --, Dex 34, Con 25, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 36
Skills: Listen +16, Spot +16, Survival +6
Feats: Alertness, Track, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike, Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Weapon Finesse, Force of Personality, Improved Scent, Uncanny Scent
Challenge Rating: 22

The familiar sight of the Owlbear species is little-known to be the pupal form of a much more frightening and beast. The Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear continues to travel with packs of owlbears, assuming other beasts as hosts, sucking their life force, and leaving the discarded husks of their bodies for the owlbear pack to devour.

Pointy Ectoplasm (Su): The Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear adds its charisma bonus to damage with its natural weapon effects.

Spirit Wrassling (Ex): The Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear may initiate grapple checks as normal, despite its Incorporeality. At any time, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear can choose to disengage from a grapple, applying the Incorporeal Subtype as normal.

Additionally, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear applies its Charisma bonus to its grapple modifier in place of its strength.

Up Claws and Personal (Ex): The Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear is adept at using its claw attacks even while grappling. It takes no penalty for using its claw attacks in a grapple.

Spooky Spirit Ghostclaws (Su): When the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear strikes an enemy with its claw attacks, it imbues 1d4 negative levels as well as its standard effects. For each negative level bestowed, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear gains 5 temporary hit points.

Spooky Mind Jump (Su): As an immediate action, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear may teleport to any location within 20 feet of its host, as with the Greater Teleport spell.

When the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear uses this ability, the area it previously occupied is filled with feathers and bear bristles, which act as a Fog Cloud effect centered in the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear's last location.

Nightmaritude (Su): As an immediate action, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear may designate one creature to mark as a host. Until a new host is designated, the ability is deactivated as an immediate action or the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear's current host dies, the host is the only target that the owlbear may attack, target or otherwise affect with its skills, natural attacks, spells, spell-like abilities or other supernatural abilities.

While a host is designated, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear is not affected by any attacks, spells, supernatural abilities or spell-like abilities originating from any creatures beside the host.

Additionally, the host must make a DC 35 Will save any time it falls asleep. On a failed save, the host takes 1d4 negative levels, is fatigued and is unable to regain arcane spells for 24 hours. This save is Charisma-based.

Recurring Nightbear (Su): If the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear is destroyed, after 1d6 days, the Spooky Spirit Ghostthing Owlbear may reform when the location of its destruction is observed, taking the observer as a new host.

Death Ward and Invisibility would still be annoying, but I think this could cause the players enough of a headache to work.

Jigokuro
2012-04-20, 04:47 PM
Here we are; this is the pictured race. (Working name is a joke on manbearpig, need something more appropriately epic.)
Aside: This is actually my fist by-the-book serious attempt at a new race. I really like how it came out. :smallamused: (however, PEACH, if you'd like)

Awakened Winged Feral Half-Troll Owlbear :: Trollbearowl
Size/Type: Huge Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 9d10+117 (167 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. Fly 60ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 24 (–2 size, +4 Dex, +12 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+34
Attack: Claw +24 melee (3d6+17)
Full Attack: 2 claws +24 melee (3d6+17) and bite +19 melee (2d6+8)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, Rend, Rake, Pounce
Special Qualities: Scent, Fast Healing 5, Darkvision 90ft.
Saves: Fort 18, Ref 12, Will 9
Abilities: Str 44, Dex 18, Con 36, Int 3d6*, Wis 18, Cha 8+1d3*
Skills: Listen 18, Spot 18,
Feats: Alertness, Track, 2 feats from the following: Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Flyby Attack, Multigrab, or Multi-Attack**
Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5), or tribe (61+)
Challenge Rating: 10+
Treasure: Situational
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Favored Class: (Whirling Frenzy) Barbarian or Fighter
*Stats assume average of 10int and 10cha, extra skill points all dumped to listen and spot.
**Effects of options not included in stats.
Height: 20-24ft. Weight: 10,000-12,000lbs.

COMBAT
As an intelligent race trollbearowls' tactics vary by individual and change for the situation, but one thing remains constant: they love ripping things apart with all their vicious claws.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an trollbearowl must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it can rake, conduct the grapple normally, or simply use its claw to hold the opponent (–20 penalty on grapple check, but the trollbearowl is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals claw damage.

Pounce (Ex): If a trollbearowl leaps upon a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even though it has already moved.

Rake (Ex): A trollbearowl that gets a hold can make two rake attacks at its full melee attack bonus with its hind legs. Each successful attack does normal claw damage, plus 1/2 its Strength bonus (rounded down). If the trollbearowl pounces on an opponent, it can also rake.

Rend (Ex): A trollbearowl that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This automatically deals double claw damage, plus 1.5x its Strength modifier. (4d8+25)

The only DM fiat used is allowing the Feral template on a Giant (what is the necessary difference between a large giant and a large monstrous humanoid? nothing, nothing at all.) and letting 'Awaken Magical Beast' (druid 9, DM304) to work on a 'Monstrous Humanoid (augmented Magical Beast)' that still has 2 int. I'd say that neither of those are even close to stretching it, but I don't even have to, DMs can do what they want in making monsters.

That said if you want it stupid, dropping the Awakened gives it either int 2, truly stupid, can't take classes even in barb, or (either dex 17 or str 43) and int 3, just enough for it to still advance. Still not likely to have large tribes though. Either choice cuts down it's listen and spot by 6 each also.

Advanced by class levels. Those taking Barb (Whirling Frenzy variant (UAp66) fits the claws-everywhere theme perfectly) become melee powerhouses, while a few levels of Fighter can add more flying combat feats for hit-and-run or pick-off tactics (great flyby attack is fun, fly in a line and attack dex mod targets along that path, possibly doing a flyby grab on one of them).

@OP; for a party of 10s as a solo encounter give it 1 level of normal barbarian (say it rolled low on int, maybe 6, and has (above average) anger problems, so normal rage fits better, and gives more HP to the solo encounter that may otherwise be a bit short). Then you be able to describe it exactly as that image: Greyish discolored hide and more jagged beak point to its troll blood, not to mention a few ignored arrows fast-healed around just. More frightening still, however, are its talon-like feral claws that could make a dragon jealous, and the legacy of owlbear rage in its eyes.
Be careful on the opening attack though, its pounce/rake/rend combo can outright slay even a tough lvl10 fighter. This is not something you want to ambush the party with. If they have the opening move it should be fine though.
The exact stat changes would be: +1d12+13HP, +1BAB, +10ft to both movements, +2fort, perception=19 (I think), and 1/day rage lasting 18 rounds of +4str/con (+20hp), +2will, -2AC (or the normal PF barbarian rage, if it is easier).
Actually, I'm not sure if CRs translate directly from 3.5 to PF. This may be slightly over/under power.