PDA

View Full Version : Turned to Stone vs Mountain Hammer

SSGoW
2012-04-19, 09:29 PM
I've been searching for an explanation on what happens when someone or something is turned to stone and they are hit in the face by Mountain Hammer.

A build I was thinking about playing someday will be a Totemist that will have Basilisk Mask as one of his main weapons (tons of fun :D ).

My friend will be playing either a Crusader or Warblade and will eventually have Mountain Hammer... So what happens when someone is stone and they meet a face full of mountain hammer?

Wall of Stone says that "Each 5-foot square of the wall has 15 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8."

However I guess if the statue is just there then it would have an AC of 5 (like area on the floor?) and that you could hit someone on the head/neck area with ease.

How many hp damage would it take to break the statue and kill the creature?

Also if the person with Mountain Hammer wanted to break off a leg or something... How many hp would a normal human leg have?

Keld Denar
2012-04-19, 09:37 PM
The short answer is "there are no rules to govern this situation".

The long answer involves extrapolating HP from the DMG. Stone, IIRC, has 8 hardness and 8 HP per inch of thickness. Mountain Hammer ignores the hardness, but you still need to do a significant amount of damage. Power Attack is your friend's friend, in this case.

As far as a person coming back from stone form after taking damage in any form...well, again, there aren't any hard rules to govern it. Not having a leg would probably reduce the foes movement to 0, while not having an arm would prevent the foe from making attacks with that arm. There really aren't any rules for damage to parts of a creature, but in the case, the creature is technically an object for the rest of the round, so it gets fuzzy.

I'd say that the most balanced look at it would be to simply have HP damage translate between forms if its not enough to outright destroy the statue. So, say a person in statue form is 5 inches thick, for the most part. They would have 40 HP. If you do more than 40 HP in one round, you smash the statue and the foe is slain. If you deal less than 40 HP, the foe returns to flesh with X fewer HP, where X is equal to the damage you delt that was less than 40. This is not RAW, but there really isn't any RAW to cover this situation, so you kinda have to extrapolate. HP is an abstraction, after all...legs and arms don't have HP.

Jeraa
2012-04-19, 09:58 PM
The long answer involves extrapolating HP from the DMG. Stone, IIRC, has 8 hardness and 8 HP per inch of thickness. Mountain Hammer ignores the hardness, but you still need to do a significant amount of damage. Power Attack is your friend's friend, in this case.

Stone has 15 hit points/inch.

Big Fau
2012-04-19, 11:13 PM
So, say a person in statue form is 5 inches thick, for the most part. They would have 40 HP. If you do more than 40 HP in one round, you smash the statue and the foe is slain. If you deal less than 40 HP, the foe returns to flesh with X fewer HP, where X is equal to the damage you delt that was less than 40. This is not RAW, but there really isn't any RAW to cover this situation, so you kinda have to extrapolate. HP is an abstraction, after all...legs and arms don't have HP.

And when the DM freaks out, remind him that this is a nice thing. Melee needs nice things.

gallagher
2012-04-19, 11:44 PM
we had it so that someone who was broken while stone could be repaired with any spell that fixes an object

we once tried to use shape stone to give my character wings while he was still in stone form, but all it did was give me wings that were mostly for decoration, and sometimes to make me a larger target

SSGoW
2012-04-20, 10:30 AM
we had it so that someone who was broken while stone could be repaired with any spell that fixes an object

we once tried to use shape stone to give my character wings while he was still in stone form, but all it did was give me wings that were mostly for decoration, and sometimes to make me a larger target

Hmmm would there be a spell (such as transmute rock to mud though that one wouldn't work) that would transform said creature in rock form into mud (thus killing him/her/it)?

This won't be used to much but it would be fun to pull that out once :p

The Glyphstone
2012-04-20, 11:54 AM
Hmmm would there be a spell (such as transmute rock to mud though that one wouldn't work) that would transform said creature in rock form into mud (thus killing him/her/it)?

This won't be used to much but it would be fun to pull that out once :p

Flesh to Stone.
Transmute Rock To Mud.
Transmute Mud To Rock.
Stone To Flesh.

Fleshpuddle! (which is, for a short time, still alive and conscious, for extra body horror.):smallcool:

SSGoW
2012-04-20, 01:05 PM
Flesh to Stone.
Transmute Rock To Mud.
Transmute Mud To Rock.
Stone To Flesh.

Fleshpuddle! (which is, for a short time, still alive and conscious, for extra body horror.):smallcool:

I was under the impression that transmute rock to mud wouldn't work due to the person who is now stone isn't natural stone. TRtM only works on unfinished unworked type of rock. Hmmm though a few scrolls of that could be fun >:D

NNescio
2012-04-20, 01:14 PM
Flesh to Stone.
Transmute Rock To Mud.
Transmute Mud To Rock.
Stone To Flesh.

Alternatively:

Flesh to Stone.
Transmute Rock to Mud.
Purify Food and Water.

Subject is technically still alive not dead.

hamishspence
2012-04-20, 01:30 PM
the issue of "does damage to a statue carry over when it's changed back?" comes up on occasion in D&D splatbooks, and the answer is generally "yes it does."

in Exemplars of Evil, the bugbear pirate Captain Gnash has a navigator called Pog, who was turned back from being a statue:

"While he was petrified, the elements scoured the contours of his body, softening or removing his hair and facial features. When he was restored, he awakened to sheer agony, his sinew and muscle bloody and exposed. Now, months later, his body is covered in patches of scar tissue. His face is almost completely smooth, with only a suggestion of a nose and no lips. Pog's eyes bulge out of his skull, held in place by exposed sinew that he moistens with a special salve, hoping that eventually it will restore his flesh."

Darth Stabber
2012-04-20, 06:50 PM
Ah the old stonedragon lock pick.

It's stone, smash the head off. It wears off, and for 1 second your foe understands a new meaning of pain. Personally I prefer a flesh to stone spell and craft(sculpture) with a hammer and chisel, for the true horror. If you can find some method of fusing more stone to them you can make all sorts of crazy things out of enemies. Truly a fine wine for the sadist in all of us (though I'm pretty sure that you would instantly loose good alignment for this if you had it.