PDA

View Full Version : The Usual Five Man Band

Asha'man
2012-04-20, 08:24 AM
In stories there are heroes. Some heroes can fight strong enemies but only one or two and never an army, save for some like Asha'man from the Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.

In the story I'm trying to create the five heroes can crowd control an army by himself/herself. So what I need to know is how powerful do I need to make them to be able to do just that.

The world my fantasy is set in is as big as probably Russia. The capitol holds the largest army of 10,000 to 15,000 men. An army of 100,000 is unthinkable. Most cities Have the local 2,000 to 3,000 men guarding the place and keeping the peace and all that.

As for the characters that will be doing this.....

The Hero?- Looks like a human but is in truth a chimera, the one made to
prototype the strongest version of the chimeras, wyrm blood,
dragon teeth, golem skin, dryad hair...you know the works. He
kept the human heart to be able to use wind. Uses sword

The Lancer- Completely honed battle reflexes and senses and able to use
earth. In all other aspects completely a normal human. Uses
spear.

The Smart Guy- Average in terms of melee and ranged combat. Born without
the ability for fear. No elemental or magical abilities. Skilled
as an alchemist. Will invent a shotgun powered by gemstones
filled with elemental energies. Uses crossbow

The Big Guy- Military trained and uses water. Ax user.

The Chick- Hand to hand combat trained and uses water. She uses herbs and
poisons. Dagger user.

Omeganaut
2012-04-22, 01:33 PM
Have them able to control the elements on a huge scale. Not only can you separate the forces to be able to take on a few at a time, but it will induce fear and cause the army to flee from the Gods that have killed their comrades.

Another option is mind control, but it seems like that isn't where you are going with this story. It also sounds like you want the heroes to stand on their own, so I'd rule out some sort of divine intervention. Otherwise I'd say they are invulnerable due to some sort of prophecy that mandates they be alive some time some place in the future.

Just be careful not to make a party of mary-sues. Make sure they still have something to challenge them, or at least make their defeat of an army an unusual occurance.

Asha'man
2012-04-23, 02:57 AM
mary-sues? Well there is Divine intervention from...... the black side of the coin.
I would also ask what kind of mount can be suggested, I thought maybe dragons or wyrms but that maybe pushing it.

Omeganaut
2012-04-23, 08:36 AM
It would depend on your campaign setting, but epic mounts could certainly help with being able to defeat armies. Still, if its the mounts that are causing the carnage, it will take away from your heroes' epicness.

truemane
2012-04-23, 08:57 AM
You're writing like a roleplayer. Understandable, but it means you're coming at this from the wrong direction.

Your protagonists will be as powerful as your narrative requires them to be. You're not playing a game, you're writing a story. And so that means, not only do you not need to assign any sort of 'numbers' to their abilities, you really shouldn't. You know they can defeat an army. That's all you need to know. So, whenever an army shows up, they can do whatever they need to do to defeat it.

What's far, far more important is how you play it. The characters' personalities. Their backgrounds. The way they're a part of the world they're in and the ways they're different from everyone else and also how they're the same.

If you build them with realistic needs and goals and motivations, create as many kinds of conflict as you can (emotional, moral, romantic, domestic, you name it), and then execute it properly, it won't matter very much how 'powerful' they are as compared to any sort of standard.

It'll just play.

EDIT: So far as mounts go, just make sure you make it an organic part of the world you've created. Wryms? Wyverns? Dragons? Just make up your own creature with the precise characteristics you want the mounts to have. Give it a sweet name, and off you go. Again, far more important is how it's done.

Asha'man
2012-04-23, 09:04 AM
Well, I'll get to writing drafts now. Maybe I'll even post bits and pieces for criticism.

truemane
2012-04-23, 09:24 AM
That's the best idea. You can't reasonably know where you're going until you're already gotten there. And then you go back and make it all work. And then you get other people's advice. And then you see what happens.