PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Learn E6

Gorfnod
2012-04-20, 09:23 AM
I am looking at running a new campaign and would like to try and get my group to give E6 a spin. I would like to find two sources of information to bring myself and my players up to speed and was hoping that the playground could shorten my search.

First I would like an in-depth guide to E6 that really gets in to all the details of how it works and what changes are made from a standard 3.5 game so that I would be prepared to DM the game.

Second I would like something a bit shorter, maybe a couple pages, that would get my players up to speed on all the major points and maybe get them interested.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-20, 09:39 AM
E6: The Game Inside D&D (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html) at EnWorld is the long documentation. Note that after you hit level 6 there's a lot of DM discretion in what feats are available. In E6 those feats can provide access to what would be higher-level class abilities in D&D.

I don't know of anything shorter.

unundindur
2012-04-20, 10:14 AM
There is litterally nothing new to learn, thus there is no big books to read.

Its the same game til level 6, then its more like a very slow progression towards level 8-10 powerwise and that is it. From a GM perspective i guess the key point is remembering that players won't be able to do crazy thinks like stop time and teleport through the planes just like that. Most think this makes the game easier to handle though, so again; less reading :smallsmile:

Its pretty much what D&D wanted to be all along :smallwink:

Eldest
2012-04-20, 10:27 AM
E6 Summery: It acts as a normal D&D game, until you hit level 6. Then, you are epic, and so do not gain any more levels, but instead gain a feat every 2000 experience after hitting level 6. This is the only "mandatory" rule of E6. There are a few more house rules you may wish to include, which are that 4th level spells and higher do not exist, and can only be recreated by rituals at the DM's discretion, or that all magic items requiring a spell of 4th level or higher or a CL of 7th or higher don't exist. There are also Gnorman's classes. They are a series of classes made for E6, which are all balanced against each other for power and tier. They are all high tier three. There is a link to the classes in my signature.

Gorfnod
2012-04-20, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. Gnorman's classes in particular look very promising.

Darth_Versity
2012-04-20, 12:35 PM
...but instead gain a feat every 5000 experience after hitting level 6...

Fix'd for ya.

There are several ways to Play E6, but the core remains the same. Stop leveling at 6 and gain feats instead.

My group uses a different approach. They only level up with my say so and gain XP as normal to start buying feats as soon as they hit 5000xp. Currently they're level 2 and half the party have nearly reached enough XP for an extra feat. This helps to reward players who make sessions regularly, but doesn't create a massive power gap for those who can't.

This generally requires extra HP though as the party spends a lot of time at the lower levels. I gave them +10 hp at lvl 1 and they can only roll a minimum of half their HD on a level up (so a Barb rolling D12 would get 6 hp if he rolled 5 or lower)

My group are really enjoying it so far as it gives a much more gritty fantasy feel while still being DnD.